Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
glad to have found you guys (Read 1158 times)
bethygirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

glad to have found you guys
Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:32pm

My husband was in remission for about 6 years and they are back.  the sleepless nights, i feel so bad, especially when I am about to go to bed and sleep like a baby.  He never wakes me up during "the dance" (i love that one).  Does any one think that alcohol is like pulling the trigger?  How about smoking? I was just wondering about that.

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Re: glad to have found you guys
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:16pm

Hey Bethygirl!  Welcome!
It's hard seeing your loved-one suffer with these - my poor husband has been my loving rock for years.  You do so much for your husband just by being there for him even if you feel useless!

As for the alcohol - oh, yes!  Many people find that alcohol is a huge trigger for an attack!  There is a thread on this subject going on right now on another section of the board - look around and you'll find lots of info on it.

As for smoking, for some reason, a greater percentage than to be randomly expected of people with CH are smokers.  Unknown if it is a cause or effect type of issue or if it is an underlying symptom of hypothalamic dysfunction.

I'm sure others will be responding soon with more info...

Again, welcome!

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:10pm

Alchohol is definately a trigger for many (if not most) here. The smoking question comes up alot. At the recent OUCH convention what was pointed out by one of the doctors who spoke was that smoking could limit some of the treatment options, or something like that. I haven't really heard of it being a trigger though.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:22am

Welcome to the board Bethy, another awesome supporter! What has he got for prevents and abortives? Doe he have oxygen yet? When you get a chance, give us a rundown of his treatments. We've found so many people are still being prescribed 1980's treatments, we've come so far!

As to smoking. Dr. Goadsby says he encourages all of his CH patients to quit smoking. Not because of any benefit to their CH status, but because a lot of what we use to treat CH, will become unavailable to a person suffering the long term effects of smoking.

Joe
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:22am by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:55pm

Bethygirl! That's what I call my daughter Elisabeth. So cool. Anyway, welcome, and on behalf of all clusterheads everywhere, thanks for being so supportive.

Dittos to everything said above, and would only add lots of stuff can be a trigger. Sure, alcohol and smoking are two of the usual suspects. But so can REM sleep, and exertion, heat and cold...all can trigger ch's. I would recommend a headache diary that includes things ingested as well as activities. Establish a baseline of such things and you'll come to know your husband's triggers. God bless! lance

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:43pm

I would definately have him avoid alcohol and if smoking is his thing, check out the electroninc cigarette, my wife and I have been using them for over a year, and it's pretty nice.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:54pm

ar4e these e-cigarettes worth it? do you save money with them aswell or is the usage more expensive?

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:57pm

feneq wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:54pm:
ar4e these e-cigarettes worth it? do you save money with them aswell or is the usage more expensive?

In my particular geographical location they are very inexpensive compared to tobacco cigarettes.  Even if they weren't cheaper, they would still be worth it, as I am not ingesting the 4000 other chemicals/poisons that are in tobacco cigarettes.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:22pm

Alcohol is a univeral "no-no" when you are in an active period for our members. A number of us have reported that various solvents will trigger an attack and since they can slip into our environment easily, you might suggest to your husband that he start paying attenton to any association like this.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!