Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
This community rocks! (Read 2711 times)
shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
This community rocks!
Jul 26th, 2010 at 11:07pm

Hi guys,
           My name is Shell and live in Australia, I'm 32  with two beautiful daughters and an awesome fiancee (Cory) who has suffered from ch for the last 25 years. He used to be episodic but for the past 3 years the ch have been more on the chronic side. He has tried preventatives, abortives, seen neurologists, spent time in headache clinic with little or no relief in sight other than the one thing that seems to work being sumatriptan injections. We live in a country town of approx 10,000 people and have two GP's who have been wonderful in supporting us both, what is lacking in the education department with ch they both definitely make up for in compassion and effort! Unfortunately Cory's ch are often put in the too hard basket responding to so few treatments, we can not attend the local hospital emergency dept as it is mainly staffed by residents who do not understand the condition and would prefer to refuse treatment and treat you like drug seekers rather than admit that they don't know what to do or ask for help, even though we have a treatment plan written by a neurologist. This cluster has been in full swing for about 6 weeks now with 6-8 attacks a day all at kip 10, the clusters can last 6 months the longest being 12 months. I'm being positive for Cory's sake but the cost of sumatriptan being $150 for 2 inj and using 2 boxes a day, oygen at $600 a month  plus having to fight with the medical professionals to recognise the legitimacy of ch is exhausting. Please don't get me wrong I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I am constantly amazed at the strength that Cory exhibits daily dealing with this and would do anything to help him. If anyone has any ideas we are open to trying almost anything?  Does anyone know if I can import sumatriptan to Australia? Thank you to all of the wonderful people who over the years of us watching this community from the sidelines have given both Cory and I the strength and hope to continue, we appreciate you all!
                                            Regards shell. Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: This community rocks!
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 11:31pm

Ouch, tough bind to be in. Do not have an answer as to what Australia will allow for imports. But check out the imitrex tip on the left. Many have found they can abort an attack with as little as 2 mg of the sumatriptan. With the imitrex tip you can get as many as 3 aborts out of each syringe.

Have you tried energy drinks yet? Rock Star, Red Bull, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine. Chugged at the first sign of an attack they'll abort or really reduce an attack for many.

I'm sure some of our "Down Under" CH'ers will be along shortly to give you some ideas of what works in your system.

Finally, thank you so much for being a supporter. You rock our world! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:52am

Hi Joe,
          Thanks for replying! We have tried the energy drinks but find that they don't help unfortunately. As for using the imitrex tips we've been following this advice for about 4 years now, its excellent info but the amount I mentioned above is already splitting the inj into 2 any less and it doesn't seem to give any relief. I had oxygen therapy organised for at home it was to be delivered Thursday but the manager of the company rang this arvo and said that they can not supply the oxygen to us as the flow rates, quantity and reason we need it was not something their company feels comfortable with. I had sent a prescription from our doc and a letter from him, but apparently oxygen therapy for cluster headaches is not something that is recognised as a treatment in Australia and it is up to the company to allow or refuse. If anyone knows how to get onto oxygen therapy in Aus could you please reply to me asap? Thanks again!
                                   Regards Shell Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:55am

Hi Shell,

I am also in Australia.  I have to say I have never had any problem getting oxygen here.  I use BOC gases and all they require is a prescription from your GP.  Once you've got an account with them - no problems at all. 

I'm also surprised to hear that you are paying $600 a month!  That seems outrageous!  Who have you been getting your oxygen from??

I am aware of other sufferers in Australia who use oxygen and have not heard of any problems accessing it nor paying that sort of money! 

Having said all that - I have been keeping my eye on ebay for regulators because that is an expensive part of the monthly rental.  Seems you can pick them up relatively cheaply.

I have also read that many people on this site use welders oxygen if they cannot get medical grade - a problem in the US because of lack of insurance or insurance companies not approving use.  But as I say, never had a problem here.

I wish you and Cory all the very best.  Actually, before I go.... I take it he has tried Verapamil as a preventative????   used in conjunction with the imitrex.

Mmmm....   I highly recommend you contact BOC if you haven't already.  Let us know how you get on.

Keeping you in my thoughts,

Kate
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:58am by Kate in Oz »  
IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:13am

Kate you area life saver!
The only company that service this area is Air Liquide and after their phone call today I was devastated to say the least! You have given me the tools to fix this problem and I will for ever be grateful. I will call first thing in the morning.  As to the verapamil Cory has used it for at least six clusters but with little or no effect, it seems as the ch becomes more chronic that less treatments are effective. The last cluster only finished in Feb and he was ill with a as yet undiagnosed condition up until this cluster started, his body hasn't had a chance to recover so I think that's why this cluster has us both more at wits end than usual. Again thank you so much for your info, I'm sending you a huge cyber hug!!
                                     Regards Shell Smiley Cheesy Smiley

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:20am

Kate,
      Sorry $600 was the amount quoted to me for a months supply at 15litre flow for 20 mins x 8 attacks a day by Air Liquide. Can you tell me what cost is reasonable? I have no idea on correct price, I was happy to pay what ever it cost. Also do you know where to get a non breather mask, I was told that I had to order one from over seas but based on your info I think they gave me a lot of incorrect info!
Thanks again.
                              Regards Shell Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:40am

The BEST non-rebreather that exists can be ordered here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:50am

Glad to be off help  Smiley

I have actually just been looking at ebay now and came across a few of the non-rebreather masks (I don't actually have one).  They seem fairly inexpensive.  There is a person (company?) on there - medivac22a who has 5 in stock at the moment.  The price is $7 for the mask and $6.50 for postage.  Think I'll get myself one  Wink

The last cycle I had wasn't too bad thankfully only one hit a day a few times a week.  I had one E tank and the regulator and that cost me $18.37 for the regulator and $11.74 for the tank.  I must say that since I've been having 02 in the house, my cycles have been so much better and I haven't needed as much 02.  I think losing the fear factor has been a huge help!!  This last cycle I found I could abort a hit in about 5-10 mins which  was just excellent!!! !

BTW I only get hit at night.  Does Cory have attacks during the day?  If so, vigourous exercise can be helpful if started at the first sign.  Also a good way of getting rid of shadows too.

I once had a cycle that lasted just over 6 months and I put that down to GP ignorance.  He had no idea, and I took so many different drugs in that time - I think I got a lot of rebound headaches.  In the end he sent me to a neuro who put my on Epilem (epileptic drug) and that knocked it off!! 

I have also had the experience of going to the local hospital for oxygen and was treated like a druggie - very upsetting.  I insisted that they look up oxygen therapy for Ch and finally they let me have it, sadly too little too late and it was one hell of a night.   Since then I have been getting oxygen at home each cycle and that has been fantastic.

Good luck with BOC!!!

Kate
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:54am by Kate in Oz »  
IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:03am

Hi shell and cory.  Checked out the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register yet?  You are a perfect candidate if available down under.  Works like a champ for me, almost free and super effective.

Sh aggy

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:35am

Hey there, Shell and Cory. I'm so sorry to hear of the cycle Cory is in. I pray you will, with Kate's help, find the O2 and equipment you need. And the cost of imitrex is high, here, too. I did find an online Canadian pharmacy that was relatively inexpensive (DHE45 inectables) and the cash outlay was about the same as my insurance deductible. Perhaps this would be helpful to you? Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:16am

The only other suggestion I have is to try the "chronic cocktail." Many have found the combo of lithium and verapamil to work as a prevent after both had stopped working alone. And do read up on   clusterbusters.com       has helped many who weren't responsive to more traditional meds.

Joe

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:10pm

Hi Shell and Welcome!

Since you both have little ones you might find this post
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register helpful for the kids and how they can help your fiancee deal with his CH hits.  It has many suggestions to help a child feel a little less helpless when it comes to a parent with CH.

Wishing your honey many Pain Free Days and Nights!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:19pm

G'day Shell, Cory, and I bet there's plenty of clubs you'd have preferred to join rather than this one but welcome aboard. I see our many friends have already given you expert advice, including the lovely Guiseppi whose rates really are excellent.  (He prefers Vic Bitter and if you send it c/- me, I can get it on-freighted cheaply.)

Just as an aside, and as I'm sure you've worked out, the Immitrex spoken of here is the same as our Immigran but it's important to note that a lot of overseas oxygen gear doesn't convert to Oz usage - different threads etc. The tank sizes are also differently named.

Otherwise, I'm only ever a phone call away on 0406 068 295.

Cheers and beers,

Brian up north.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:47pm

Thanks to everyone for replying to us!!

Brew,
         Thank You Ive been checking them out!

Kate,
         Thanks so much for your help! I'm definitely following your advice and also buying a mask from the supplier on ebay. About 80% of the headaches are at night, last yesterday was 1pm 1hr, 4pm 1 1/2hrs then last night this morning 9pm 1/2hr, 12am 1hr, 2am 1/2hr, 3am 1/2hr, 4.30am 1 1/2 hrs  7am 2hrs poor guy is recovering in bed, he is exhausted. This amount of attacks has been roughly the same for last 6weeks however the length of each attack varies all at kip 10. He keeps saying if it wasn't for the girls and I he wouldn't be here and I can certainly understand his point. Cory was on epilum 1000mg morning and night for 3 years, it didn't seem to have a great effect or any at all for that matter. I think one of the major probs we have is getting the neurologist appointments/ reviews to change the levels of meds as often as required, the GPs are great but only want the neuro to alter medication doses and I believe that the levels should be monitored more frequently. Yet to hear back from BOC but will definitely let u know how we go.

Shaggy,
            Thanks for the tip, we have been members for a while but definitely need to do some more work with this to find some workable options. I Just need to remember there is Hope sometimes.

Lance,
          I will be checking this info out any chance to save some $ would be good, thanks for your input I appreciate it!

Joe,
       I wish this would work but unfortunately lithium with Cory = violent psychosis, he was on it before we had the girls and  its the one medication that Cory has flatly refused to take. He says that he would not be able to have us around him if he was on lithium and we are what gets him through, so for him its just not a viable option and I have to respect him for making that choice. Thanks so much though for your input and ideas, your experience is appreciated!

Ginger,
          Our girls have been wonderful with Cory, they understand CH and are very compassionate and helpful. We are very lucky that way, sometimes I have to remind them that they are only young and need to just be kids rather than trying to be supporters. There is some great info on the link that you posted and thanks for thinking of such an important aspect of educating and helping the girls to understand, its a pity some adults aren't more compassionate and willing to learn like kids are. Thanks.

Brian,
       Thanks for reminding me about the differences in O2, it had completely slipped my mind. One of those things that I knew but in my determination and haste to get the O2 had totally slipped my mind. Thanks for your number and support, I'm heading off for a nap now (last night was a long night) but I will give you a call in the next few days. Cheers!

To everyone,
                  All your help, suggestions, info and support just confirms my statement that this community rocks!! Your understanding and compassion is undeniable and appreciated.
               Forever grateful, Shell Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:07pm

One thing on the O2, sometimes the companies think you need concentrators and they are thinking your consumption will be that of a lung patient. You need the regular tanks, with a non-rebreather mask with flow rates of at least 15 lpm. Big difference in cost! This will be much less and I suspect they were quoting based on other assumptions. Even when our insurance didn't cover oxygen for Guiseppi I think the most we paid was maybe $40-$50 per month

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:28am

Hi from over the ditch in NZ

One other thing to consider is a demand valve as that might cut down the amount of oxygen used.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:54am

shellcory wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:13am:
As to the verapamil Cory has used it for at least six clusters but with little or no effect,

Quote:
I think one of the major probs we have is getting the neurologist appointments/ reviews to change the levels of meds as often as required, the GPs are great but only want the neuro to alter medication doses and I believe that the levels should be monitored more frequently.

What was the amount of verapamil the doc prescribed and were there any adjustments to the initial amount, such as any gradual increases in mgs? 

Not a doctor here, but if he tolerated it ok for six cycles, then it can be adjusted to gradually higher levels in increments, perhaps to 600 and 720mg.  I've gotten to 960 for a short period, gradually reducing as well to lower levels that will hold again.

I would agree with you about difficulty altering doses being a major problem when it comes to verap if it was not monitored by his feedback and adjusted.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:00am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:50am

Hi guys!
            Thanks for your input, I have organised the O2 with Boc who were more than happy to accommodate our requirements and were fully aware of the usage in regards to Ch. I'm pretty sure that the other company Air Liquide was just not interested in helping and gave me such bad info on the products and cost to try and discourage me. The different aspects of products available for O2 are very interesting, it seems that the previous oxygen therapy that Cory has had given by the doctors and hospital, was all wrong in regards to administration and rates. I have purchased 3 different types of non breather masks, a regulator and flow metre. I have been told that the flow rate has to be constant so as to the demand valve I'm not sure but checking it out as it sounds like a good idea if workable. The verapimil that Cory was on was quite a while ago so I'm having trouble recalling the doses, I'm pretty sure it was only altered mg wise a couple of times.  After all your great advice and the research I have done over the years, we have decided that its time to start from scratch with the meds again and document everything.  The Gp agreed to try prednisolone as abortive again so we've started that today, I'm guess I'm pushing my luck at the moment but I'm determined to help Cory somehow. Its so nice to know you guys are out there, its amazing how communicating with others who understand has made our world seem so much more complete! Thank You!
                                        Regards Shell Smiley Cool Smiley Cool

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:14am

Quote:
we have decided that its time to start from scratch with the meds again and document everything.  The Gp agreed to try prednisolone as abortive again so we've started that today,

This is a good time to try adding verap again to gradually raise it while documenting results to see if you can get to an effective level.  Pred is short-term only, verap may help from there if adjusting its range of levels can be done.

Quote:
I'm guess I'm pushing my luck at the moment but I'm determined to help Cory somehow.

You're doin' great!    Smiley

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:03am

Quote:
I'm determined to help Cory somehow

You are doing exactly what we need when the pain is so great we can't even think straight! He's luck to have you in the ring with him. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:16am

Pushing your luck??? Not at all, you're a dream supporter, the man's lucky to have you in his corner. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:07pm

You rock, Shell!!
Cory is lucky to have you!
Keep up the great work!
Roll Eyes

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:52pm

Hey Shell, 

I'm so pleased to hear that you got onto BOC and that they were able to help.  Along with this site, 02 is a life saver!!

You are a wonderful supporter and Cory is very very lucky to have you on his side!!  I'm sending you both my good wishes and hope he finds some relief with the meds.

Take care,
Kate

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:26am

Good day guys!

Thanks for your support! Its so refreshing to know you all understand, rather than being treated like a hypochondriac. I've  checked back through our records and the dose of verapamil was lower than 600my a day but some of the side effects were nasty such as excessive bruising and blood flow, it never seemed to help so I thinks that's why the docs stopped it. We are headed to the doc tomorrow so  will take my trusty folder  (over the years Ive put together a folder with anything related to ch) and see what we can organise.
            Great news to share with you is Cory only had 1 attack last night! It lasted for about 1/2 hr but was at kip 7 so that's definitely an improvement.  He has been up all night disco dancing as he put it, not sure what to call it, have heard it referred to as flicking, tremors, muscle spasms, restless leg syndrome, his arms and legs spasm he cant talk properly and it goes on for hours. The closest thing I can say is he looks like steady eddie (A disabled comedian, down under). Does anyone else have this problem? The docs aren't sure if its because of so much imitrex or whats causing it.
        This has been occurring for about 7years now but only during and directly after the clusters.  The doc put him on valium to try to stop it but unfortunately valium does not agree with Cory, he gets disorientated and cant remember anything. Last time he was on valium he was so disorientated that I had to follow him around all night stopping him from trying to walk through windows, every time he had a cigarette he almost set himself on fire. After 6hrs of this and deciding that I probably shouldn't handcuff him (have these for work purposes, we both do private security) I called an ambulance, when they arrived they didn't want to take him because Cory said he was OK, I had to threaten to knock him out because they can not refuse to take an unconscious person to the hosp. After the ambo realised how serious I was they took him to hosp strapped to a trolley, doctors said we just had to go with it until all meds were out of his system so I took him home at about 7am, tucked him into bed and climbed in under the doona myself. I was just about to doze off after looking at the roof for about half an hour when Cory who had been snoring since he hit the bed, rolled over gave me a big kiss on the cheek and said " Ive had the best night sleep babe, I feel great, think that valium really helped". I could have choked him, I told him what had happened and he had no memory at all. Guess its funny now but at the time I didn't see it at all funny.
          All this aside its great to see Cory have a night with some relief, so hoping this continues!
                          Regards Shell  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:03am

Wow, that makes for an interesting life!  So was this happening after he woke from a hit??  Any chance he could have been asleep?  I was just looking up sleepwalking disorders on google....  I've watched some docos on tele that have looked into similar kind of phenomena - but during sleep.  (I have been known to have conversations on the telephone whilst asleep, and have no memory whatsoever the next day).  My son had night terrors when he was younger, and now sometimes sits up, talks a bit, then back to sleep again.

From what I read, anti-seizure medication can bring this on - wonder if it was around the same time he was taking the epilem?   If he was well and truly awake, forget everything I said  Roll Eyes

Never had it happen - that I am aware of.  Mmmm things that make you go mmm.

Still, pleased to hear he is getting some relief  Wink  Good luck with the Doc.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:04am by Kate in Oz »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!