Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Video games and CH? (Read 5774 times)
Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Video games and CH?
Jul 25th, 2010 at 4:17pm

My wife is convinced that playing video games during a bout can make the CH worse. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on that?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Video games and CH?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 4:24pm

Actually I will use video games, specifically Tetris, to distract me while huffing the oxygen! I have not found it to have any effect, positive or negative, on my CH.

Not that I'm taking YOUR side over your WIFE'S. Grin I won't go there! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 4:43pm

One of the first things I do if at home when I get hit is to go to the computer and pull up Total Annihilation.  It gives me something to focus my attention and something to do with my hands to keep me busy.  I can use it to deal with a low level hit and not have to use O2 or energy drinks and save them for the k6 and above.  I'll still use it up to a K8 to help.  Beyond that I can't focus enough to make it work.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 4:44pm

One of the first things I do if at home when I get hit is to go to the computer and pull up Total Annihilation.  It gives me something to focus my attention and something to do with my hands to keep me busy.  I can use it to deal with a low level hit and not have to use O2 or energy drinks and save them for the k6 and above.  I'll still use it up to a K8 to help.  Beyond that I can't focus enough to make it work. 

I use it as the same principles I learned in LaMaze classes with my wife.  The idea of focusing one's attention outside of oneself.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 7:34pm

maybe till kip 3.from kip 4 and above i can't even save one lemming Cheesy

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:33pm

I have noticed that if I'm in high cycle staring at the computer screen or TV too long will make the shadows worse...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:08pm

If your wife is the one who gets CH's and feels more pain as a result of video games, then she's right.

If you get CH's, and she does not, take all her advice with a grain of salt. Do what I do, and politely "consider" the advice, and say
"I'll give that a try", or
"You could be right".
Tongue
Its human nature to try and solve problems, and advice is almost always a form of kindness. As such it should never be scowled or ridiculed, nor taken blindly for that matter.

I gave up trying to explain the intensity of a CH a long time ago, since pain so subjective.

I've tried to use video games to distract me, and although it was a bit distracting, it was also frustrating. Its probably one of the last things I'd do now, since my eyes get very sensitive during a bout.

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Ok Guys and Gals!

I did play a lot of video games back in the day and I did think
that they started cycles sometimes.  Now was it just me
or was it cause I was playing and sleeping less?  who knows?
Maybe the light flashing, I still play but play by feel.  If
head says good I play if head sends any strange signals I
stop, JUST to be on the safe side....  If you know what I
mean.  Could be time of year, I could get hooked on game
and just play "Change sleep pattern"  No No  who knows but
I did wonder if it was the video games.  or just the monitor.
Big old CRT blasting you with radiation.  Well food for thought!!

Peace,

Boski

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 2:14am

I haven't noticed that  (not that I play very often). 

There may be something to it though.  If the game has flashing lights and those are a trigger for you, that could do it.

It's been shown in children that leaving a television in their bedrooms, even watching tv in the 30 minutes before bed has a detrimental effect on their sleep.  It's thought that the lights somehow influence the hypothalamus.

Many non cluster adults have noticed that shutting off common sources of glare (computer, television) at least an hour before bed helps them fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.   This probably also has to do with the hypothalamus.

Sleep issues can also be part of a vicious cycle:  when you can't sleep well or on a regular schedule that can be a trigger that goes on to cause lack of regular sleep.

So...  assuming she lives with you and she's not the manipulative type that would make up the idea just to get you to pay more attention to her, she may have noticed it's a trigger for you that you haven't noticed yet.  Come to think of it, if she needs more attention it might be a good idea to humor her for a few days anyway.  The worst thing that can happen is you can discover she's wrong.  And if she's right, you can always put the video games off until this cycle is over.

Right or wrong, she's going to feel honored and respected if you try without video games for 3 days or so.    Grin

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

MattyAA
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Poland, EU
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:35pm

I agree with Kathrine, I noticed that aswell.

And I must admit I am quite a game addict, I played since my youth and still play. And quite a lot I must say since I was part of team that plays e-sports.

I do still play rather a lot and I must say unlike Boski that getting involved in action and focussing hard on game makes my shadows less.

But during normal kip it only lesses tiny bit, and its hard to focus with pain really.

I did play through normal kip once, till it reached kip8 and 10 minutes later I just couldnt, I basicaly stared at comp with closed eye moaning and taking deep breathe in holding it and then releasing and shifting position, was really hard, but I could say it took maybe just not pain but my perception.

IP Logged

Art S
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB! But these
Headaches S*ck

Frankfort, KY
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:56pm

I had one cycle where every time I started playing a video game I'd get a HA.  I don't play much anymore, but I've had cycles it didn't bother me at all.  But with me every cycle is different.

IP Logged

BillA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 1:20pm

I've suffered from only three cycles of CH over my 40+ life.  The first set was back in college - I didn't know why, just thought I was studying too hard.

Then back in the early 2000's I had another cycle (the cycles lasting several months).  They were debilitating - with my doctor we decided that they were CH and that there was likely some trigger I would never discover - especially since the time between cycles was so long.  However, the CHs were so bad that I just started eliminating stuff - including the latest in video game consoles.  At the time nothing seemed to work, but about two months later they were gone and the cycle was over.  In the back of my mind I had associated that the video game had some connection with the CH, but it was weak at best.  I had stopped playing, but I had stopped doing a lot of other stuff as well.

Last month I sat down to a new game and played for about an hour.  10 day's later I had my first HA for a new cycle. 

I have no doubt that for me the video games are the trigger.

I noticed (since I was paying much closer attention) that when I was playing I simply didn't blink my eyes.  After about an hour my eyes were fatigued, so I stopped playing.  If I think back to 10 years ago, I recall being tiered after playing, but with age that seems to have accelerated.

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 1:59pm

playing video games can be a trigger for me.

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

shadows1177
CH.com Newbie

Sick of this pain in my
head!

Puyallup WA
Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:40pm

I have been trying to play games to distract me from pain but I cant even focus well enough through the bad pains to play a game....

Bright Wishes~

Shadows
https://www.facebook.com/shadows1177?ref=tn_tnmn  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 1:47am

Art S wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:56pm:
I had one cycle where every time I started playing a video game I'd get a HA.  I don't play much anymore, but I've had cycles it didn't bother me at all.  But with me every cycle is different.

one thing i have noticed to be a sure fire trigger for me is lack of physical activity in general. which really sucks cause im a truck driver. when im in a cycle driving is pure torture. but once your hit your hit your hit. anything you can do to distract your mind from the extreme pain is a good idea

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!