Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So Glad I Found You... (Read 1657 times)
Papa Pez
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

So Glad I Found You...
Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:05pm

I've been living with "seasonal migraines" for ten years...that is, until I was finally diagnosed with cluster headaches.  I can't tell you the odd relief I have felt over the past 48 hours...I'm not alone, I'm not crazy, etc., etc., etc.  (I'm guessing you've all heard and/or felt this before?)  So now that I know what I've got, what do I do next?  I've got my Imitrex.  I've got my "routines", and if my pattern holds true, I won't have my next episode until next summer.  I get my cluster for 6-8 weeks, with at least one 1-2 hour monstrosity per day.  (My doctors all told me that "I shouldn't be having that many headaches" and "I shouldn't be taking that much Imitrex."  Thanks...I'll take that under advisement Smiley 

So...yeah.  Any sage advise?  Is there any permanent fix for this unending horror?  (Other than my super supportive wife, of course...)

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: So Glad I Found You...
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:25pm

Hello and Welcome.....

No "fixes" but you owe it to yourself to check out the O2 link on the left hand side of page.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:22pm

Hi Pez,

Is that injectible imitrex that you use?

If so, glad to know that you have the most effective form, and this imitrex tip may be of great help to you, as it has been to me and many others. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Haven't seen any cures yet, but people who scour this site along with clusterbusters.com and ask questions tend to find out ways to greatly improve their beast killing rate.

Racer1 certainly has given you one of the hottest tips around already!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:22pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:48pm

Welcome to the board. My advice is to stock up on whatever works and be ready for the beast at any time. He'll stay in a regular routine for years and then jump up and bite your butt just when you least expect him and are unprepared....those times really suck!

If you can get to a neurologist who specializes in headaches you can greatly improve the quality of your life while in cycle. Otherwise your best bet is to educate yourself, and find an open minded GP. I've found the best results using a 2 pronged approach to my cycles:

1: A good prevent med. That's one you take daily, while on cycle, to reduce the frequency and the intensity of your attacks. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day, blocks 60-70% of my hits. Reduces my dependance on my abortives. Verapamil is usually the first try prevent and has proven succesful for many here. Topomax has a loyal following but is called dopey max by many due to its potential side effects.

1(a) A transitional therapy. I go on a 2 week prednisone taper when my cycle starts, 60 mg down to zero. It takes 10-14 days for most prevents to build up and the prednsone will generally keep beasty at bay during this time. It's a great short term med but has some serious side effects if used long term.

2: Abortives. The attack starts now what. 02 should be your first line abort. Cheap, easy, portable, I can be pain free in 6-8 minutes. Beats the old days of 90 minute rides. Read the 02 info link on the left as it must be used correctly or it won't work.

Imitrex injectables are great when I can't get to my 02 but I hate how they make me feel. Imitrex nasal sprays work for many, the pills generally take too long to get into your system to be really effective.

Energy drinks, Rock Star, Monster, I prefer sugar free Red Bull, any containing caffeine and taurine will work, chug it down at the first sign of a hit, will abort or reduce a hit for many. I use them with my oxygen for a 1-2 punch.

No cure yet but with a little trial and error you can certainly reign the beast in.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:47pm

Welcome,

Glad to see you found us.. But really WE finally found YOU.

coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 7:40am

Ditto to everything already said, plus you might consider adding melatonin to your nightly routine, say 9-18mgs. Check out some of the melatonin threads on the board to be sure you're taking the real stuff. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 8:11am

Welcome, so sorry you had to seek us out, but glad you found us.

Ditto on all above and if you are having problems escaping those night time hits aside from melatonin you can try an over the counter allergy pill about 1 hour before sleep.  I use Zyrtec / generic form cetirizine because I can't take melatonin. 

For some chugging a redbull helps to abort a hit as mentioned above and make sure to check out the O2 page Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 9:10am

Just wanted to say welcome to the board and do try the energy drinks . If they work for you they are a relatively cheep and straight away too.

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 11:08am

What's up Papa Pez??  Welcome to our cluster world.  Sounds like you have been one of us for a long time.  Lots of experience here. 

Any permanent fix?? Not really but if you get your arsenal together then you can seriously change the pain that you have been experiencing.  Get it ready BEFORE your next cycle, because there will be more. 

I skip the doctors and manage my CH with psilocybes and caffeine.  Go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register to check it out.

Other medicines are available with various success rates and side effects.  Oxygen good, more is better.  Lots of other techniques so spend a few minutes (hours really) on these 2 sites and read a bunch.

For many it seems like once you start on the different medicines the CH goes from once every year or 2 to more frequent, but then you have some protection from the pain.  That's been my experience too.   So think carefully about what you want to do. 

Lots to check out and well worth it.  Good luck!

--Shaggy Smiley

IP Logged

Papa Pez
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:16am

Thank you all so much.  Clearly, I've got a LOT of reading to do Wink

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:49am

Papa Pez wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:16am:
Clearly, I've got a LOT of reading to do Wink

Look at it this way - you're at the Home Depot of cluster headaches now. You're just filling your cart with tools, and you have the luxury of having a bit of time to do some comparative shopping.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:43am

Quote:
I get my cluster for 6-8 weeks, with at least one 1-2 hour monstrosity per day.  (My doctors all told me that "I shouldn't be having that many headaches" and "I shouldn't be taking that much Imitrex."

We just hate it here when we hear silliness like this come out of a Dr.s mouth.  Unless I read what you said wrong...MANY, MANY people here get "Hit"  with a headache several times per day.  In 23 yrs.  my average would work out to 3 per day, sometimes going up to 7 or 8 times per day.   My experience is the norm, not the exception.     Also...Imitrex can be used twice in a 24-hr. Period.  If you will read the Imitrex tip to the left of here...you can abort more often and still use the same amount that is safe.

The oxygen link is also to the left of here(in yellow)  02 has been a Godsend to so many of us here.  It's safe, cheap, no side-effects and it WORKS!

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 4:45pm

Brew wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:49am:
Papa Pez wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:16am:
Clearly, I've got a LOT of reading to do Wink

Look at it this way - you're at the Home Depot of cluster headaches now. You're just filling your cart with tools, and you have the luxury of having a bit of time to do some comparative shopping.

And unlike in most stores, everyone else in the "store" knows just what you're going through too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!