Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new member (Read 1938 times)
howard
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:19pm

I am a 20+ year sufferer of the episodic type of CH. I had not had an episode for 18 months until two nights ago. Yes, they are back with a vengence.

I was trying to explain what I go through nightly to a co-worker and stumbled upon your site and immediately registered. I think it will be nice to have a place to talk to people who really understand how I feel.

howard

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Re: new member
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:32pm

Welcome Howard I'm not glad you were forced to find us, but given the situation I'm glad you did.

Read all you can here to learn more about CH and make sure you check out the Oxygen page. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We all run into lack of understanding and the occasional eye-roll, or even laughter (which I have encountered recently, wanted to scratch his eyes out.  Angry  ) when we tell people about our condition, lets face it they have no clue.  Here we understand and will do our best to add support where you need it.

Wishing you many PF Days and Nights!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 6:29pm

Hi Howard,

If you stick around, read and ask questions, I think that like so many of us, you'll find this to be more than just a place to talk to people who really understand how you feel, you'll learn about ways to take action to beat this beast back.

Ways that doctors have been too slow to catch onto yet.

One good example would be the newer, much more effective approach for O2 use, outlined at the oxygen info link on the left of this page.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:00pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:04pm

G'day, Howard. Welcome home.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:23pm

Welcome to the nut house Howard, I gave up a long time ago trying to explain to others what they were like....always felt like they thought I was trying to exaggerate. Now I just hang out here and whine.....people here actually get it! Wink

When you have  a second, let us know what you use as prevents and aborts. The strength of this board is the thousands of years of real time experience dealing with the beast. Maybe you'll throw a new tool our way, maybe we can make some suggestions to take back to your doc.

Just finishing an 8 month cycle that came on after a 2.5 year remission....had almost convinced myself I was cured! Cheesy They end and you do get through them. So glad you found us, welcome home.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:20pm

Welcome to CH.com Howard, you will find more info about CH here than most Dr's have. Oxygen (O2) is the number 1 recommended abortive, I abort 98% of my attacks with it.

What you don't find by reading around the site just ask the question and someone will answer. Everyone on this site either has CH or helps someone who does.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:17am

May I add my welcomes to the distinguished list CH vets already welcoming you? Rare company indeed, my friend. As to explaining this beast, the letter to colleagues and employers at the top of this posting board is worth checking out. In the meantime, start huffin' O2! Blessings. lance

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 11:54am

Welcome Howard!

Feels good to be among fellow suffers who feel and share your pain doesn't it? We all know exactly what it's like. This has been my  "home away from home" for the last 8 mo or so.

I often use the "brain freeze" description when trying to explain what CH is like to family, friends and co-workers. Most people have experienced this and can grasp what we are going through much better. Check out this link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Lots of great info here as well as unbelievable care and
support.

Hope your cycle ends  soon.

Donna Mae   Smiley

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 9:30am

Hello and welcome Howard

I too find the brain freeze description a good way of describing a ch hit as Donna said most people have experienced this and can relate to it,

I explain that it is similar to brain freeze but about 8 times more painful and lasting from 1/2 - 2 hours and can happen several times a day . The usual reaction is a wince and oooo followed by not a little disbelief , but I think the message kinda gets through.

Have you tried energy drinks like Red bull or anything with caffeine and taurine in it . they can reduce the pain of an attack or even stop one if you chug a can at the first sign of an attack.

good luck and God bless

Nigel
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2010 at 9:31am by Headache Boy uk »  

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

howard
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:01pm

Thank you all for your welcome wishes. I have been exploring the site more thorouhly today. I read in someone's post that Red Bull is helpful as an abortive. Plan on stocking up tonight.

Howard

IP Logged

howard
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:19pm

Thank you all for your welcome wishes. I have been exploring the site more thorouhly today. I read in someone's post that Red Bull is helpful as an abortive. Plan on stocking up tonight.

Howard

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Red Bull or anything similar with both caffeine and taurine will work. Just drink it quickly at the first sign of a CH (or with shadows) and it seems to work to reduce both the intensity and duration of the CH.

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 9:47pm

Greetings Howard,
                          I'm also a newbie but have been watching all this wonderful info on these boards for years, definitely should have signed up years ago! My hubby has been suffering in silence for 25 years with this condition and I seem to be repetitively trying to explain to friends and doctors the severity of his pain with not much luck unfortunately. Just the other day I found a printable letter to friends and colleagues of cluster headache sufferers on the ouch-us.org site. I have given it to friends and the receptionist staff at the doctors with awesome results, now that they truly understand what pain level we are talking about their attitudes have changed dramatically. Check it out if you can its the best description  and so easy to just hand it over without those doubtful questions from  people that are ignorant or uneducated to what your going through! I'm still learning but I think the link is:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register then click on colleagues letter.  Goodluck!
                                    Regards Shell Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 10:27pm

A new supporter!!! Smiley My wifey has stuck thru me for almost my whole 32 year CH history, do not know how I would have survived without her!

Stop be our supporters section when you get a chance, it's where all our significant others hang out and complain about how tough it can be living with us!

Welcome to the board.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

howard
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:26pm

Thanks for the link Shell. I gave it to my assitant and I think he is beginning to get it. I also used the "brain freeze" example. He cringed with that one.

Tried red bull last night for the first time. i think It did help decrease the severity.

Howard

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 4:18am

Howard,
            Glad to hear your trying the red bull, hope it helps.
I think its definitely helpful for those around you to know what you're going through, educating themselves and understanding what your up against is the best way for them to support you! Good luck!
                                Regards Shell Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!