Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Melatonin success? side effects? (Read 7073 times)
Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Melatonin success? side effects?
Reply #25 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:42pm

feneq wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:35pm:
i'd have to ask a professor of endocrinology, i am not accroaching to give false or insufficient answers-

i am being watched in here  Wink

Why don't you ask the hundreds of people who have used it very successfully for long, long periods of time WITHOUT ADVERSE SIDE-EFFECTS.

Just one of the problems with most doctors...

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #26 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:48pm

shaggyparasol wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 4:36pm:
Hey Lance.  You said you were a nighttime chronic??  Since you don't get nighttime hits anymore does this mean that you are now a daytime chronic?  Did you ever get day hits before?  Does the melatonin just switch the timing of the hits? or does it knock them out? or lessen them?? --Shaggy

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I wasn't ignoring you, just lost the thread. Anyway, I was night and daytime chronic. On April 24th of this year, I began a regimen of high flow O2 and Monster chug at the first sign of a hit. Aborts came rapidly in record time-5-7 minutes. I also dropped everything else I was on, and started taking 400mgs verapamil and 15mgs melatonin, along with a super B vitamin complex. After 3 years of getting hit 4-6 times a day, I have dropped to 0-1 hit per day. I don't believe in coincidences. What's working now may not always work, but I am so relieved life once again seems worth the living. Thanks for asking shaggy. God bless! lance

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #27 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:52pm

feneq wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:35pm:
i'd have to ask a professor of endocrinology, i am not accroaching to give false or insufficient answers-

i am being watched in here  Wink

I was going after your argument, that taking the supplement will decrease the body's natural production.  See, part of the problem is that my body's natural production must be run by union employees, as in my body doesn't make enough already.  Wink

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #28 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:15pm

Quote:
my body's natural production must be run by union employees

sorry my friend- my inglish is okay but it is already four years ago i was working in great britain so i'm a bit out of routine- and i don't really get what this metaphor could mean..

Quote:
Why don't you ask the hundreds of people who have used it very successfully for long, long periods of time WITHOUT ADVERSE SIDE-EFFECTS.

Just one of the problems with most doctors...

read what i wrote! i am not trying to make a conclusio of subjective treatment success, i am trying to analyze the physiologig and physiopathologic background for fundamental research, not for opinions

Quote:
as in my body doesn't make enough already. 

you might be suffering of an epiphysis-malfunction, even inf your body is producing enough serotonine, besides, there might be pathogenic bodily changes in the communication process of the suprachiasmatic nuclei and nucleus arcuatus or even metabolic problems, like loss of melatopsine, high blood pressure, diabetes etc..

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #29 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:22pm

feneq wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:15pm:
you might be suffering of an epiphysis-malfunction, even inf your body is producing enough serotonine, besides, there might be pathogenic bodily changes in the communication process of the suprachiasmatic nuclei and nucleus arcuatus or even metabolic problems, like loss of melatopsine, high blood pressure, diabetes etc..

Well if the Obamacare ever gets passed, I'll get tested for all of that, but I can certainly rule out the high BP and diabetes. 
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:22pm by Agostino Leyre »  

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:31pm

i can try to find out more possible things for you.

do you have cold / cold sweaty feet in the evening/at night?
do you have a slight tremor?
are your hands or feet having a cyanosis?
do you feel slight electric pricles in hands or feet?
do you ever had a paralysis?
was a depression diagnosed? in family members? dementia praecox?

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:34pm

feneq wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:31pm:
i can try to find out more possible things for you.

do you have cold / cold sweaty feet in the evening/at night?
do you have a slight tremor?
are your hands or feet having a cyanosis?
do you feel slight electric pricles in hands or feet?
do you ever had a paralysis?
was a depression diagnosed? in family members? dementia praecox?

Hey I appreciate the concern and the enthusiasm, but let's not do this.  Ok?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:36pm

"Doc,"

You and I aren't just in different countries. I think we're on different planets. Perhaps we'd be best advised to avoid each other.

Unless you give out bad advice, that is.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:45pm

i was trying to help you out - if you are malpracticed and tthreaten with wrong medication you can end up very bad.

i am just giving the chance to find out, i have no financial interest on these questions as your physician has for spending his time, and i have the TIME to concentrate and investigate in contrast to your physician -
everyone is welcome to ask me questions, i am happy if i can find out something for you - if someone doesn't want those questions asked in a public forum just write me a PM, anyway i have a professional discretion-

and i respect your wish not to ask.    Lips Sealed

feneq.fox  
IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:52pm

Quote:
"Doc,"

You and I aren't just in different countries. I think we're on different planets. Perhaps we'd be best advised to avoid each other.

Unless you give out bad advice, that is.

sad to hear, respected and accepted
in support of my argumentations; i need to have a huge background of research in this field to find out customized treatments

i didnt want to query you in any case

feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:12pm

feneq wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:45pm:
i was trying to help you out - if you are malpracticed and tthreaten with wrong medication you can end up very bad.

i am just giving the chance to find out, i have no financial interest on these questions as your physician has for spending his time, and i have the TIME to concentrate and investigate in contrast to your physician -
everyone is welcome to ask me questions, i am happy if i can find out something for you - if someone doesn't want those questions asked in a public forum just write me a PM, anyway i have a professional discretion-

and i respect your wish not to ask.    Lips Sealed

Feneq,
Welcome to the board -
Read and grow in your knowledge about CH.
Advise and educate about CH using the information that you have painstakingly gathered over the course of your medical education and supplemented here.
Learn about your own condition and self and use that learning to help yourself become a better doctor and person.

But stop practicing medicine without a license!

You are not qualified to either diagnose or treat people over the internet!  Even if you've had years and years of experience (which you haven't), doing such a thing is a surefire path to disaster. 

Please, stay here and be yourself and learn about this disease.  I know you are eager to share your education and that is appreciated, however, you are needed here not as a treating physician but as a fellow sufferer who happens to be a physician...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Good post Lettuce.

Feneq....I just gotta ask. Are you a physician yet or just in medical school? It's really no ones business but looking at your facebook and myspace it appears to me that you may be in medical school. It was in German so I may be wrong.

Any way, the good Dr Lettucehead gave you some very good advise. We have been here for over 10 years and have been to many conventions with the best Neuro's on the planet and we are pretty knowledgeable over our condition.

Anyway read up on all the reports on the left and you may get your answers......

Welcome! Smiley Smiley

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:06pm

Jimi wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:28pm:
Good post Lettuce.

Feneq....I just gotta ask. Are you a physician yet or just in medical school? It's really no ones business but looking at your facebook and myspace it appears to me that you may be in medical school. It was in German so I may be wrong.

Any way, the good Dr Lettucehead gave you some very good advise. We have been here for over 10 years and have been to many conventions with the best Neuro's on the planet and we are pretty knowledgeable over our condition.

Anyway read up on all the reports on the left and you may get your answers......

Welcome! Smiley Smiley

Maybe this Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register will help with the translation, just copy and paste text to translate... I did and didn't particularly care for what I read. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:51pm

Darn it, hijacked .  All right you animals, how about more personal experiences so people will have more info.

Shaggy

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #39 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:45am

Anecdotal, I know, but I'll claim limited success with it.  I take it nightly during a cycle, very occasionally, out of cycle.  The effective dose for me seems to be 9 mg, although I had to use 15 during the peak of the most recent cycle to notice any effect. 

Melatonin appears to reduce the number of nighttime attacks I get during a cycle, but it does not eliminate them.  I almost never get hit during the day, so (according to my headache journals) the total number of attacks during a cycle is reduced.

It does not appear to be associated with longer cycles.  (Mine have always been, consistently, six weeks in duration.)

In short, I consider it a valuable tool--but it's by no means a magic bullet.

I've noticed no side-effects whatsoever.

Best,

George
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:52am by George » 
Reason: Add remarks. 

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #40 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 7:32am

i already have my degree and am specializing in neurology now, the university is in austria, not germany,

yes, lettucehead is right- i better stop doing this. anyway, if someone has got a question about something it can be asked via PM and i can try go give a qualified answer in a poblic thread

see you guys, have a nice & painless day

i have a question - which is very important to me:
may i open a thread with different polls to be answered honestly by volunteers to gather some informations? i'd like you all to decide about

feneq.fox  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #41 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 8:32am

I'll leave your question to DJ, MrsDJ, or whomever, but for my part...I'm still waiting for you to demonstrate you have actually studied this site and all if offers, as well as OUCH and clusterbusters. Until then...I'm not interested. lance

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #42 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 8:46am

Feneq--as Lance mentioned, any question about conducting polls, etc, should be directed to the site owner.  To do so, PM "DJ".

In the meantime, Shaggy has asked us to keep this thread on topic.  I think we ought to respect his wishes.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!