Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Melatonin success? side effects? (Read 7044 times)
shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Melatonin success? side effects?
Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:15pm

Hey everyone.  I know a bunch of you nighttimers are using melatonin.  Seemed promising from the reports I have read.  What has been your experience?  Has it helped and thus appropriate to keep recommending to people?

My friend the acupuncturist says that high doses of melatonin (like what you are taking) can cause depression.  True for anyone? 

How long have you been taking it, how often and what doses??

Let's use this thread as an informal survey for those who may wish to try it. Smiley

--Shaggy

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Re: Melatonin success? side effects?
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 6:26am

Hi,

I've been taking 12 mg Melatonin since Feb 2009. No side affects that I am aware of.

I don't have middle of the nighters, but take it for insomnia that has been has been plaguing me since this cycle began in Dec 2009. It does help me to sleep. Thank God!

As far as the depression? I am mildly depressed but I would have to blame that on CH and all the other numerous health issues that came into my life along with it.

I'm 53 yrs old. I've had my share of tragedy and heartbreak in my lifetime and always been able to cope with life's little curve balls. Having CH  has had a huge affect on me. Guess I'm still trying to figure this all out, if that's even possible!?

Donna Mae   Wink

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:25am

I've been using Melatonin for 3 months now-15mgs/night. I have experienced no particular side effects except they help me sleep. I am a nighttime chronic but since beginning this new regimen (April 24th) I have not had a night hit. I have heard Melatonin can deplete vitamin B6, so the brand I take includes a B6 supplement. I also take a B supercomplex just because. Hope this helps. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 4:36pm

Hey Lance.  You said you were a nighttime chronic??  Since you don't get nighttime hits anymore does this mean that you are now a daytime chronic?  Did you ever get day hits before?  Does the melatonin just switch the timing of the hits? or does it knock them out? or lessen them?? 

--Shaggy

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 5:38pm

I tried melatonin years ago, didn't work out well for me.  For some reason melatonin is a CH trigger for me. So instead of melatonin, I take an allergy pill at night to help avoid night time hits.   I take 1 Zyrtec aka cetirizine about an hour before sleep, this has worked well for me and may work well for others whom for one reason or another can't take melatonin, like myself.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

steph45
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Nottingham
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:04pm

Hi  Roll Eyes

My night time attacks had always been kip10s ....1am wake up call  Cry

I still had attacks during the day & has my cycle went on the day times attacks would increase till i was hitting K8/9 at the height of a cycle plus the 1am k10's to deal with  Cry

Until Jan 09 i had been seasonal 2/3 cycles a year, beginning in March and end in Oct with PF time in between - from that day onwards i have been chronic with no more than 10PF days before it would all start again.

I started taking 3mg Melatonin myself everyday from Nov 09 and over a period of time increased it until i had no more high kips break through Smiley

I now take 12mg about 20mins before i go to bed (around midnight) still wake up 2 or 3 times but can get back to sleep quite easily.....occasionally i wake up with lower kips 2/3 but can get cope with that  Cool

I get up 6.15am monday to fri for work (also wkends as i noticed trying to have a lay in, caused bad attacks)

I did try 2/3 different brands that didnt work so well, i now use the brand link below and for me they have worked great.

I did try stopping them when i "thought" a cycle was over but within 5days the K10's was back was force...wont be doing that again

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:06pm by steph45 »  

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:19am

Melatonin works for many people.   It gives me nightmares (as in REALLY bad dreams). 
Jim

IP Logged

steph45
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Nottingham
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 12:45pm

Hi Jim.....yes sometimes I do get nightmares/bad dreams as well. When I first started taking the Melatonin and increased the dosage - each time I did, I got very vivid dreams/nightmares but that soon passed. I just went with it  until them sort of dreams stop. I still get the odd bad dream but on the whole not many at all.

I am lucky in the fact I am aware that it is a dream whilst in it - and often (not all the time) I can have some control whilst dreaming so for me it can be great fun also.

Even with taking 12mg of Melatonin each night i still wake up 2 or 3 times - thats just normal for me BUT at least now I have no K10's (fingers and toes crossed it will stay that way) My quality of sleep is better also - whereas before, as soon as i hit rem sleep i would be woken up with a K8 and within a 2/3 mins it would be K10....

I know melatonin doesnt work for everyone - i wish it did  Embarrassed
I cant be sure Melatonin will carry on working for me but have to hang onto hope (which i do)

Wishing you PF days & nights

Steph Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 12:47pm by steph45 »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:53pm

Jim L wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:19am:
Melatonin works for many people.   It gives me nightmares (as in REALLY bad dreams). 
Jim

I guess I'd just ask, which is worse? Nightmares or waking up to an out of control attack every 90 minutes? Also, did you try to stay on it for a couple of weeks so your body's metabolism of it has a chance to even out?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:41pm

Good point, Brew.  I'll put it back into tonight's mix.

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:49pm

I should mention here that using a mix of melatonin, kudzu, St. John's wort, magnesium, and scullcap, I have been essentially pain free for three years now.  A lot of folks have had success with this mix.

Here are a couple of threads discussing it, including the exact mix I use:

I highly recommend you try this out!  It's a lot safer & cheaper than phamaceuticals, and much less hassle than O2.  Besides, I'd rather prevent than abort, any day!  Wink

No promises, but it's sure changed my life!

As for the nightmares, I have had very vivid and unusual dreams after taking melatonin, but nothing I'd call a "nightmare".  Actually, I find a lot of them pretty entertaining!  Just kinda goofy.

If you should happen to try the 'mix', please let me know how it works for you.

Regards (&GL),
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:07pm

I have to deplore the self-medication with melatonine because of really high risks of known, and yet unkonown! risks and side-effects

If it helps on occasional use for episodic patients - go on, take it once a while, DO NOT TAKE IT REGULARLY, your body will stop to produce it itself and you can not keep your necessary serum level with pills because of its short half-life

feneq, M.D.

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:40pm

feneq wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:07pm:
I have to deplore the self-medication with melatonine because of really high risks of known, and yet unkonown! risks and side-effects

If it helps on occasional use for episodic patients - go on, take it once a while, DO NOT TAKE IT REGULARLY, your body will stop to produce it itself and you can not keep your necessary serum level with pills because of its short half-life...

Just to clarify - I take it for a couple of weeks, twice a year, at the onset of a cluster cycle.  The mix breaks the cycle and I quit until the next time (six months later).

Can you site any references that support your concerns?  I've never seen any.  (Not challenging your statement - just an honest question).  The only real caveat I've seen about melatonin is that by bolstering the immune system, it might pose a risk for people with autoimmune disorders (e.g. lupus, Addison's disease, pernicious anemia, myasthenia gravis, etc.)

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:53pm

unfortunatly i am not gathering informations on internet-pages, so i can't give you a link but if i find an english text in a book i'll write it down or quote references from medical publications but i'm actually not connected to the database, i can search some for you in my free time at work

best regards.
cave! - couple weeks of permanent use IS definately throttling down your own melatonine production so it can come to undesirable effects at discontinuation.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:55pm by feneq »  

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:21pm

I know of no lasting side effects reported by any clusterheads who take anywhere from 6 to 12 mg of melatonin on a regular basis, and I've personally spoken with dozens upon dozens of them. Your info seems unsubstantiated, doctor.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:26pm

6-12 mg is like peeing in an ocean - maybe thats why  Wink

feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:45pm

feneq wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:26pm:
6-12 mg is like peeing in an ocean - maybe thats why  Wink

I'm not sure I understand your point. I've always been led to believe that 6-12mg is a rather high dose. In fact, for those who use it merely as a sleep aid, the recommended dosage is 0.5-3mg. And I know of one patient for whom 20mg was ineffective as a sleep aid, but 0.5mg was.

Perhaps you could shed some light on this for the rest of us. I am of the opinion that clusterheads on the average do not produce enough seratonin in the pineal gland, and this may have something to do with why so many of us are afflicted with not only nighttime attacks, but have a much higher than normal incidence of sleep disorders.

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:22pm

i made a mistake- sorry, somehow i was thinking of a dosage of  0.6-1.2mg - that's why i was sceptic,

and you need to tell me how the melatonine should work on Quote:
on the average do not produce enough seratonin in the pineal gland, and this may have something to do with why so many of us

somehow that doesn't make really sense to me

feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:30pm

You're the one who claimed to be a doctor.

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:41am

An interesting conversation to watch, indeed.   Here I am, still up at 3:30 am after my "normal" 2:00 hit.  I'm in a mixed mode of sleepiness (maybe something to do with the melatonin I took at bed-time) and ..... I don't know....awareness/alertness/fear/suspicion that another attack will occur tonight. 

(Brew, from what film did that Robert De Niron come?

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:55am

Jim L wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:41am:
An interesting conversation to watch, indeed.   Here I am, still up at 3:30 am after my "normal" 2:00 hit.  I'm in a mixed mode of sleepiness (maybe something to do with the melatonin I took at bed-time) and ..... I don't know....awareness/alertness/fear/suspicion that another attack will occur tonight. 

(Brew, from what film did that Robert De Niron come?

I always find it interesting to see who is posting at 3:00 in the morning (assuming they're in the US).  It can be an indication of who is getting hit!   Undecided

Here's hoping you get some sleep, Jim!!! 

(And, I think the movie was 'Meet the Fockers' but I'm not entirely sure.   Wink)

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:20am

Yep, Lettuce, up in the middle of the night after a hit.  Ugh.

Steph, you have/had chronic kip 10s every night at 1:00 and still got up enough to be functional at 6:15 am?  Was that BEFORE you started taking melatonin? 

Even if I get up and can wipe out a kip 8 or so every night in about 30-40 minutes with oxygen, I'm always still "keyed up" afterwards and cant get back to sleep for another hour which makes getting up for work pure agony (which is why I've been late or absent so much this cycle) -- I'm constantly exhausted. 

I sometimes chew up and swallow a half an ambien at moments like this to get back to sleep.  I just took the ambien -- it will take 20 minutes or so to kick in, and then when my alarm clock goes off, I'll be sleepy and groggy.   Unless I have another hit between now and then, I'll drag myself to work and be pretty unproductive most of the day.

So, melatonin didn't keep me "under" tonight, but I'll try again tomorrow....

Jim Lux

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:37am

Yes, I believe it was Meet the Fockers:

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:21pm

I would like to address the doctor in this thread. 

Ok, if the problem I'm having is the fact that my body isn't producing enough serotonin to begin with, then supplementing melatonin (a by-product of serotonin breaking down as darkness falls), how in the heck can taking it be a problem, since I'm not producing enough of it to begin with?

Also, I have been taking it for over 10 years and don't have any issues.  In fact, I'm pretty darned healthy.

Edit to add, I think there are probably about 20 or so docs in the world that might know more about CH than a lot of us around here.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:22pm by Agostino Leyre »  

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:35pm

i'd have to ask a professor of endocrinology, i am not accroaching to give false or insufficient answers-

i am being watched in here  Wink

feneq.fox  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!