Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Introduction (and 2nd post) (Read 1824 times)
Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

My Introduction (and 2nd post)
Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:22pm

Greetings all! I posted earlier about the Cyberknife procedure, so this is really my 2nd post.
   But anyway, I have been a CH'er for about 20 years now. I have always looked at this site (and found many interesting things here). But finally I decided to join, mainly to ask the Cyberknife question.
   Going by the thing that tells us what we should do for our first post, I offer the following:
    1. Symptoms - EXCRUCIATING pain in my left eye and temple area when The Beast attacks. Tearing and congestion, too. Cannot sit still. Usually when The Beast is upon me I find myself writhing in agony on the floor (at work or other public places) or my bed (when at home), until the Imitrex injection kicks The Beast's a$$. After that is usually a Lortab 10 to deal with the after-pain, where it just feels like someone has simultaneously pounded on my head with a sledgehammer and ripped the left side of my face off. Before I developed this malady, I could never have imagined that pain that bad could exist! Duration: the shortest one was about an hour; the longest one was 8 hours (pre-Imitrex days, obviously). The average duration of a single attack is about 2 hours (provided I don't kill it with the 'Trex). A typical cycle lasts from 2 to 5 months, but I think I may be goinbg chronic  Angry
   2. How long have I had clusters? 20 years. They started in my last year of college and did not help my GPA at all. Sadly, this was before Imitrex injections were available in the USA. Imitrex injections were a Godsend (albeit an expensive one)!
   3. Am I episodic or chronic? Episodic going on chronic (I think). My neuro, a headache only doctor, says I am the worst case of Episodic CH he has ever seen. Currently this has been going on for several months. Went hrough a "mild" spell for a awhile but The Beast is really cranking up now. Perhaps he senses his demise from the Cyberknife???
   4. What meds have I tried? Here comes the lengthy part, and not necessarily in chronological order:
       a. Imitrex injections (the only abortive that provides relief 100% of the time);
       b. Imitrex tablets (only worked about 1/3 of the time);
       c. Imitrex nasal spray (only worked about 1/2 the time);
       d. depakote - hated the side effects, did not work;
       e. dopeamax, er, I mean Topamax - doped me up real bad, did not use it for long);
       f. Baclofen - didn't work, made me kind of "dopey";
       g. Cefergot - didn't work;
       h. Ergotamine medihaler - didn't work, more often than not made the CH worse;
       i. Lidocaine 4% topical solution up the left nostril - no help;
       j. Lidocain 4% topical gel (yes, gel) up the nose - no help;
       k. Midrin - a joke if ever there was one!;
       l. Bellergal-S tabs - no help;
       m. Fiorinal -no help;
       n. Fioricet - no help;
       o. numerous narcotics that are poor as abortives, but good for the "after-pain" and "shadows";
       p. DHE 45 i.v. treatment in hospital - no help;
       q. Verapamil as preventive - little help there;
       r. Lyrica as "cycle-breaker" and later as preventive - little help. Note - getting off that stuff was AWFUL! My whole body hurt for a couple of weeks after I titrated off it. Most unpleasant withdrawal symptoms;
       s. Oxygen - little to no help
       t. - zz. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of the others I tried.
   5. What works for me? Imitrex injections is the only abortive that works for me 100% of the time. Now if it would just get rid of ALL the pain, I wouldn't need any pain meds. Preventives? I can't honestly say that they have really worked for me.
    Other information:
       I am so happy that this site exists! Without it, and all the good people here, I very well might have self-terminnated
by now.
       As to the shroom and/or LSD/LSA thing, my job prevents me from doing anything illegal. Otherwise I might give it a go - it seems better than frying the 5th cranial nerve (the bastard named "Trigeminal Nerve") with radiation. But losing my job and/or jail time? I don't think so! Now if we could just get the federal and state governments tp lay off of us and leave those things alone, well, yes, I would be HAPPY to try the shrooms! But alas! My world is not structured so! But if any of you clusterbuster people want to try to convince me to go that route and could help me to do so, well, give it your best shot.
       Parting comments - thanks to the creator(s) of this website! What a wonderful thing you have done here! A place where the people actually UNDERSTAND what this $#@! is like to live with, and where we can share our experiences fighting The Beast!. Peace and Blessings upon you all!
       If I have the Cyberknife procedure (it's in the Insurance Company's hands now), I will let y'all know the results. Also, if any of you know anything about it, or have had the procedure, please let me know the results. I gather it's very similar (in principle) to the dreaded Gamma Knife Radiosurgery (a/k/a "GKRS") At any rate, please pray for me to make the right decision, and that everything works out OK! As a matter of fact, we should all pray for one another! Excepting, of course the atheists among us. I wouldn't want anyone praying to an Entity they don't believe in!
       Sorry for the length of this post, and thanks for your reading it. Thanks again to all for this great site and the advice and understanding available here! God Bless all of You!

Neal

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: My Introduction (and 2nd post)
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:29pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Tell em righty sent you.

Potter

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:35pm

Welcome Neal. It sounds like you have been on a long rough road. Over at Clusterbusters you might want to read up and ask about RC seeds. Many have had good luck with them. Also you would be one of the few that 02 has not helped if you are going it correctly. What LPM flow were you using?

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 1:27am

Hi Jimi!

The O2 was for a flow rate of 10-15 LPM. After some experimentation, 11 LPM seemed about right (when it worked). My problem w/ O2 was it only worked about 1/3 of the time, and then it only tamped down The Beast a little, to just barely tolerable, and in 20-30 minutes I needed more. So I'd suck in the O2, get a slight break, The Beast would ramp up again, I'd suck the O2 for around 15 minutes or so, and so on. I just wanted the $#@!%^% thing GONE.
         Also, the DME suppliers I used both kept billing and billing and billing, even after I had returned all the equipment, etc. That took some time to get straightened out, and I had put my lawyer hat on to do so.
         Of course, it was somewhat comedic when I first got the Rx for the 02. When I gave them the Rx, they said "That can't be right! They don't give dying people that much O2! Hey Fred! Look at this Rx - ever seen anything that high before?"
         "No, I haven't," said Fred.
          "Hey Rachel! Look at this Rx - ever seen anything that high before?"
          "No," said Rachel. "We better call the doctor. He must've written this wrong."
          "No," I said. "The doctor is a neurologist who specializes in headaches and has been practicing for decades. Trust me, he wrote it right."
          "Well, sir, I just don't believe that. I've never seen a Rx for this high a flow of O2, and I'm going to call the doctor right away."
          "Knock yourself out," I replied.
           A little while later, she comes up to me and says, "I'm sorry I doubted you, sir. We'll have everything ready in just a few minutes."

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 1:32am

Potter - Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. What are "RC seeds" and are they legal?

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 1:34am

OOPS - it was Jimi talking about RC seeds! So, Jimi, what are RC seeds and are they legal?

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 1:37am

Reference the O2....my experience and that of others is that the higher the flow rate, the better. Some have said that 10-15 did nothing for them, but once they went to 25 lpm it made all the difference in the world.

Hyperventilation helps as well.

If you have a mind to, take a gander at the O2 link on the left hand side of the page. Worth the read.....

Bill

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:30am

Quote:
"Well, sir, I just don't believe that. I've never seen a Rx for this high a flow of O2, and I'm going to call the doctor right away."

Yeh, I know that's right. I had an argument with a nurse about the flow rate I use, and she would not accept I knew what I was talking about. I offered to show her my E tank and regulator to prove it, and she refused. Sigh...the medicos can be so insular.

Man that's a long list of failures for meds. It is in the nature of the Beast. I hesitate to ask, but you did not mention energy drinks, melatonin, kudzu, lithium or prednisone? Some have found these to work. And you don't mention amounts. Frequently we need a much higher dose than normally prescribed, like the range for verapamil (400mg-960mg). You also don't indicate the type of mask you use on O2. Just wondering. I pray something will work for you. lance

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:07am

I didn't see Lithium on your list of failed meds.

HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.

Download free full text:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)

And see the PDF file, below....
====
A search of major library of medical literature in the U.S. re. cyberknife produced 1-2 abstracts about this being the next treatment which needs to be explored--but no reports on acutal use/outcomes.

At this point, all forms of surgerical intervention have such mixed records that I'd hold them in reserve as a final move when all conventional treatments have failed.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:11am by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:46am

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:30am:
Quote:

Yeh, I know that's right. I had an argument with a nurse about the flow rate I use, and she would not accept I knew what I was talking about. I offered to show her my E tank and regulator to prove it, and she refused. Sigh...the medicos can be so insular.

Man that's a long list of failures for meds. It is in the nature of the Beast. I hesitate to ask, but you did not mention energy drinks, melatonin, kudzu, lithium or prednisone? Some have found these to work. And you don't mention amounts. Frequently we need a much higher dose than normally prescribed, like the range for verapamil (400mg-960mg). You also don't indicate the type of mask you use on O2. Just wondering. I pray something will work for you. lance

Yes, the medical professionals (other than the docs who actually treat, rather than just read about, CH) are often frustrating to deal with! 

As to the meds & other treatments you've mentioned, tried all of them except the kudzu. Living in the Southern USA, I could easily get my own kudzu this time of year! I've seen it mentioned before on this site, but there was something I read a long time ago here where I got the impression that it had some nasty side effects or interfered with some med I was on in a nasty way, so I never tried it. Maybe I'll do some looking around since that was at least a few years ago. 
       As to amounts, for the verapamil, the most I was ever on was I think 420mg 3 or 4 times per day, or somewhere near there. Prednisone was usually a taper dose, starting at 80-100 mg per day for 2 or 3 days, then decreasing by 5 mg per day until off. Prednisone did work temporarily, but it was a brief reprieve, and once off the red, they cam back with a vengeance! Still got clusters. Dang I hate this disease!
        Yes, The Beast is always "bobbing & weaving" when it comes treatments. Just as soon as you think the latest treatment modality you're trying seems to be working, and you think you may be free, WHAM! he figures out how to get around it! Sometimes it seems like CH is actually a sentient being just toying with us. But we always carry on!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 10:42am

I had to argue with a warehouse foreman who said, "Breathing pure oxygen is NOT a recognized treatment for cluster headaches." It would have been a little easier if he hadn't been a caricature of a warehouse foreman, pot bellied, sweat stained, mouth breathing bozo!!! Grin

My only suggestion is a 1-2 combo. I would get the ramp up attacks too, the 02 would kill it, 10-20 minutes it would come back a little stronger...repeat!
For a while I was taking oral cafergot when I started the oxygen to prevent the comebackers. Someone here suggested using energy drinks the same way. This cycle I've been chugging an energy drink as I fire off the 02. Has been working as well as the cafergot at preventing the come backer without the jitters.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:58pm

O2 must be used at the first sign of an attack for success, and with a NON-Rebreather mask with a bag on it. Nasal canula's or regular rebreather masks are not good for CH.

Hyperventalating the O2 is also key for quick aborts. Staying on the O2 for 5-20 after the pain stops, helps with the return attacks.

Good luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 10:31pm

Hello Neal,
I'm new to this site as well. I'm still not sure when exactly this all started for me.  I had miserable unilateral "migraines"for twenty years. I was on Calan for most of that time and i thought I was being treated for hypertension. Ten years ago a physician felt I could taper off and now, a decade later, I am being attacked by a beast that makes a migraine feel like an eye strain. Never, in my life, have I felt the human being could bear such pain and survive! I have all the classic symptoms... unilateral, ptosis of the eyelid, lacrimation, congestion ... and then the pain. Last night, for the first time since May, I slept. I mean a PF night and, as a matter of fact, I overslept and missed work. What I changed from my usual routine was that I took Melatonin and coffee in addition to Depakote and pred. I awoke this a.m. after 10 hugging my alarm claock!  LOL! I'm not sure how others have persevered for so long with this disease but am hoping I am as strong as they are; I like to think I am. I hate to lose so will keep trying until I win!
I also live in the South so Kudzu is right out my back door; I need a recipe for Kudzu tea!  LOL! I hope you find a cocktail that works and will let you know if I come across a legal concoction.  lib

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:01pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:07am:
I didn't see Lithium on your list of failed meds.

HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.

Download free full text:
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)

And see the PDF file, below....
====
A search of major library of medical literature in the U.S. re. cyberknife produced 1-2 abstracts about this being the next treatment which needs to be explored--but no reports on acutal use/outcomes.

At this point, all forms of surgerical intervention have such mixed records that I'd hold them in reserve as a final move when all conventional treatments have failed.

Bob,

Thanks for the info. However, the link to the second article you reference (@efns.org) says "not found". Do you have another link, or could you email or fax me a copy? Thanks much.

Neal

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 10:42am:
I had to argue with a warehouse foreman who said, "Breathing pure oxygen is NOT a recognized treatment for cluster headaches." It would have been a little easier if he hadn't been a caricature of a warehouse foreman, pot bellied, sweat stained, mouth breathing bozo!!! Grin

What would a warehouse foreman know about it? Man I hate all the people who think they know something about CH and what works for it!
     For instance, this happened shortly after I had been diagnosed, and I had been given xylocaine 4% topical solution to use as an abortive. I was working at a convenience store on a relatively slow night, and in the throes of The Beast, and had just put a couple droppers' worth of xylocaine up the left nostril (had to lie on the floor and tilt my head back and to the left side), some guy came in. He saw me lying on the floor and said, "Sleeping on the job?" I replied, "No, just having a cluster headache," as best I could and this idiot says, "i've had those - just take some Tylenol." that was one of those rare moments when I really wished I could SHARE! if I could've, I would've let him have a taste, and as he's rolling around on the floor with me I would've asked him, "Want some Tylenol for that?!?!?!???"

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:30pm

Hi Neal,

There's a lot of good info here, along with thousands of years of cumulative experience. The best advise you got, in my opinion, was the first which mentioned the ClusterBuster website. Potter's sending you to the right place to learn about alternative treatments for CH. Before you even consider going under the knife, of whatever kind, check out the ClusterBuster files and the Forum and ask questions.

Just to repeat Potter's direction, go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and tell 'em righty sent you.

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!