Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to this site ... 3rd Cycle of CH (Read 602 times)
MBB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to this site ... 3rd Cycle of CH
Jul 11th, 2010 at 9:56pm

Hi, my name is Matt.  I am 22 years old.  I searching for whatever information I can find on treating what I believe I have, which are cluster headaches.

I have seen a neurologist, whom after ruling tumors and other causes out, has diagnosed me with CH.  I think he's correct due to the fact I experience every symptom known as stemming from having CH.

I first got clusters back when I was in high school.  That cycle lasted about 3 weeks.  It was a time of a lot of stress due to school and applying to colleges so I didn't think they were anything more than stress-caused headaches.  Then two years later, while in college, I had another 3 week cycle.  During this cycle, I sought treatment and was given a prescription for vorapamil and Relpax.  The Vorapamil had no effect so my doctor discontinued it.  The Relpax though seemed to really ease the pain but I had to take it at the right moment ... literally.  If I was a minute too late, the headache came full strength.

And now, its been another two years since that second cycle and the headaches are back.  I have just completed my first week of them.  I am on Relpax again but I want something else.  Yes, the Relpax stops the headaches as they occur but nothing is stopping them from occurring, prior to them occurring.  I'm going nuts here.  I can't sleep.  I'm worried to go out and have a life because if I get an attack, I'm done for.

I need to know what to do.  I'm so glad a place like this website exists because no one I know really seems to understand what this feels like.

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Re: New to this site ... 3rd Cycle of CH
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 8:47am

G'mornin Matt,

Welcome to the community...sorry you had the need to find us though!!

Since you didn't mention O2 therapy in your post, I would urge you to explore the info under the "oxygen info" tab on the left nav bar highlighted in yellow.  It has been a "game changer" for myself and many, many other sufferers on the board!!!

You might also want to check out the information on the clusterbusters forum regarding the use of "alternative meds" and what seems to be the most effective treatment with which to treat CH thus far.

Welcome Home!!  Sending PF thoughts and wishes your way!!

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 9:04am

MBB wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 9:56pm:
  The Vorapamil had no effect so my doctor discontinued it. 

I am on Relpax again but I want something else.  Yes, the Relpax stops the headaches as they occur but nothing is stopping them from occurring, prior to them occurring.  I'm going nuts here.  I can't sleep.  I'm worried to go out and have a life because if I get an attack, I'm done for.

I need to know what to do.

Welcome, Matt. And sorry you need to be here. Dittos on the O2-done properly its the best abortive. Read, read and keep reading. This site has an incredible community of fellow sufferers who have found some things to work. We know how terribly terrifying the threat of an imminent attack can be. Here are just some tips:
1. try an energy drink (one with 1000mgs of Taurine) at the first sign of an attack
2. consider adding a nightly routine of melatonin to your list of preventatives (9-18mgs)
3. read about the therapeutic levels and uses for any abortives or preventatives (like verapamil) since the therapeutic and off label use can be much different than its normal range and use

Try not to be discouraged. Take comfort in knowing we are all here. Hang in there and keep on believin'! lance

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:06am

Hi Matt and glad you found us...

Most of us would you use a combination of medications in treating Ch's. Preventitive meds include Verapamil, lithium and Topamax. These are normally taken in cojunction with a steroid taper as some can take a couple of weeks to begin working on your system. If sucessful they should reduce the number of attacks you get on a daily basis. For me personally once I take the steroid taper I will get no attacks for that period but once I'm close to finishing my taper they come back with a vengance.. Shocked.

There are also a number of abortives available such as 02 as the guys mentioned and imitrex injections. For a vast majority these abortives will kill an attack from escalating very quickly. Gather as much information as you can so you can work with your doctors on the best treatment for you as an individual.

You may also want to visit the site Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register as they have had extremely positive results in treating CH's.

Lefty

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!