Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to this site with many questions (Read 3712 times)
lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
New to this site with many questions
Jul 11th, 2010 at 2:15am

Hello All,
I am a recently diagnosed CH suffer and I came across this most helpful and compassionate website while researching neuro anatomy. Although I now believe I may have had CH since my early 20's (treated with Calan) and discontinued in my 30's, we are treating these recent attacks much more aggressively because the pain is simply unbearable and the symptoms are undeniably CH. I guess it is too soon to know if I am episodic or chronic (unless, of course, we consider the episodes from two decades ago as CH) I have a bazillion questions concerning recent treatment options. From what I read on this site, many people experience relief from O2 and the triptans. My physician has concerns about me using the triptans nightly and I don't know the why.  I am plagued by nightly attacks approximately 1 1/2 hours after falling asleep. I would like to take the triptan when I go to bed to prevent these attacks as I am miserably sleep deprived. I would think they would prevent an attack.....; I am currently taking Max Alt but my physician would like me to take Prova which is in a pill form....won't that take too long to act as an abortive? I would also like to know what the harm is in taking prednisone on a regular basis, many other disease processes require prolonged steroid treatment... has anyone ever had fluid leak from the ear on the afflicted side prior, during, or post attack? Just one small drop usually for me; this has been happening since my attacks years ago and physicians generally don't believe me and certainly can't explain it.
I live in Mississippi and work in Tennessee; I am a female and I am just getting started on this road. Thank you for your wealth of information and the kindness that can be found on this site.  lib

IP Logged

steph45
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Nottingham
Re: New to this site with many questions
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 6:06am

Hi Smiley I'm fairly new to this site as well (oct 09) but have learned sooo much over these last few months from here & fellow CH'rs. Also have spent 100's of hours reading and researching for myself over the internet/medical books/talking to others etc - info on all medications...alternatives treatments etc

Once you start looking, you will find there IS ALOT of information/advice/knowledge out there - some very good - some not so - some may work for you - others may not!!!

I think its trial & error - what works for one - may not for another - what work last cycle may not work this - what helped last time, may not this time.

Some choose the medication route others the "alternative" Its down to personal choice & what works for YOU!!

Everybody is different, there is no right or wrong way for us that suffer with CH....only ourselves can find out what works best for us.

Unfortunately, due to the rarity of this disease, you may find yourself teaching whatever doctor you have about the disease. Many sufferers have had to go through several doctors and neurologists to find one that is knowledgeable and that will work with them in their treatment.

Knowledge is power and you are your own best advocate in your medical treatment. READ, READ, READ all you can and then go read some more!!!!!

I was mis-diagnosed for nearly 25yrs Sad

In Jan 09 it changed from ECH to CCH and since then i havent gone more than 10days PF - its a long story like so many on here but what matters is NOW and that the whole  quality of my life is back to being good (mostly) i handle "IT" when its with me - forget about "IT" and get on with my life when its not!!!

My night time attacks were always the worst - Kip10's, i had 11 months of this before finding this site...help me far more than any GP...even found out the best Neuro to ask for in my area (Nottingham,UK) A Neuro who actually knows alot about CH.

I take Melatonin 12mg - 20/30mins before i go to bed - i started off taking 3mg and over so many months noted any difference and increased accordingly.

For the last 8wks now i have taken 12mg and i havent had a night time attack since Smiley

I go to bed around midnight - get up 6.15am - I still wake up 2/3 times but cant get back to sleep and usually PF but at times with a lower kip

I dont get any after effects from it and can go about my day (though may still have lower kips during the day but manageable most of the time)

Its been a long haul getting to where i am now.

I did try some of the meds out there that are prescribed to help treat CH but for me they didnt help but i know for MANY they do help/relieve so its a option I wouldnt rule out for yourself.

Below is what I now take for CH

O2 - (abortive) i use the O2ptimask   
O2 helps me immensely - shifts the lower kips and all but twice its aborted/relieved higher kip of 7 and above) Again i have only had this for the past 8wks - was a struggle to get prescribed but once the Neuro confirmed i had CH it was sorted within 2days

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Melatonin 12mg - (preventative)
once daily/20 min before bedtime  - again for me this has been my biggest relieve...the nightly kip10' - know i wouldnt be here now if i was still suffering like that, there is only so much a human soul can bear. i have found the make below as worked best for me  Roll Eyes Relatively inexpensive, so worth a try, minimal (if any side effects)s Works for some but not for others...   

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Kudz 500mg (preventive)  twice daily

Magnesium 250mg (preventive) once daily

Cetirizine (preventative) once daily

Taurine/caffeine drinks (abortive) red bull or the likes, i use a cheap version of this, as long as it as the 1000mg taurine in

I also use a ice pack on my CH side (Left)  i tried warm, couldnt stand it but ice helps...

Imigran injections - (abortive) my last resort, when i am desperate and all else has failed. Have only had these on prescription since May this year and have used them now on many occasions. Works most the time....dont like the side effects at all but i now use the "extended" method give it 10/15min (most the time does completely abort) if not then i inject the other 3mg.....on two occasions so far the injections/o2/taurine ....blah blah blah DIDNT work....i do admit i was devastated but it did lesson the severity of the attack to a 7/8 for which i am grateful....41hours without sleep that time - i blame myself for that attack because i "nodded off" 6pm one evening ( I KNOW by now NEVER to nod off/cat nap because IF i do a kip 10 gets me) i paid dearly for that LOL LOL LOL!!!

I laugh because i have too  Grin

I have added a few sites for you to look at if you get chance...there is many more out there...info repeats its self abit but you can get some different insights - gain some good knowledge....

Picture added is my new "best friend" O2 fitted with the non-re-breather O2optimask
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2010 at 1:38am by steph45 »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 35554_1486363436825_1166073292_1413998_7503939_n.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 6:21am

Welcome to the site lib , glad you found us

I've not got much advise to offer other than red bull etc
imitrex inject-ables are about the best abortive second only to O2 although I have not tried O2 yet.

as for the steroid use I think you should read this post Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

hope you find something that works for you soon

Prayers coming your way

Nigel
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010 at 6:23am by Headache Boy uk »  

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

steph45
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Nottingham
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 6:39am

Here is few more for you to look at ;

Below is what i use + Imigran injections
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010 at 7:07am by steph45 »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 35554_1486365396874_1166073292_1414000_4060777_n.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 8:18am

lib wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 2:15am:
has anyone ever had fluid leak from the ear on the afflicted side prior, during, or post attack?
lib

Hi Lib nice to meet you and sorry we had to meet under these circumstances.

In answer to your question, Yes I have had this ear drainage, at first Dr.s thought it was an infection, nope wrong just one of my weird side affects from CH and apparently yours too.  Welcome to the club no one wants to be in.

Imitrex is not a 'preventative' medicine it is an abortive and generally taking it before an attack has even started won't prevent one.  You need a good prevent precscribed, baring that, not sure if Melatonin would help you at night before bed to help prevent attack but it's worth a try.  If melatonin doesn't work for you (doesn't for me, as melatonin is a trigger for me, not for most) anyway if it doesn't work for you, you can try taking an allergy pill before bed such as Zyrtec (generic form cetirizine) this is what I do and it has helped me with night time attacks tremendously.

Keep us updated and Good Luck to you!

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:17am

Long term steroid use

Frova (not Prova) is an abortive.  However, it does have a much longer half life than the other triptans.  I *think* that some do use triptans as an abortive and I'm sure that someone will come along and answer your question.

Do you or have you used O2?

IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 1:05pm

Thank you all for your replies, information, and prayers!!  Yes, indeed it is Frova.... it was late...or early...can't tell anymore. I find the Kudzu interesting since my neck of the woods has been trying for decades to eradicate this weed since it kills all the trees... am thinking about walking out to the woods and yanking some up by the root and putting it in my salad tonight!  LOL... the only thing I know it may be possibly good for.

I got to see the neuro Friday and am taking my "scribe" (husband) with me. It seems I can listen, learn, and articulate while I am in his office but the instant I leave, I forget everything. This happens to me at work as well, can't even remember WHY I wrote something down or WHAT I'm supposed to do with it. I work in Corporate America Healthcare and my inabilities are becoming quite apparent. I will be asking the neuro for the O2 on my next visit. Already scoped out the supplier; used it once for one of my dogs... the Taurine is interesting because I know cats need it for retinal and cardiac health...never even thought about it for my health!

I can see this is going to be a learning experience for me and I hope I can at least remember a majority of the information. Again, thanks for the replies and I know I'm going to like it here!  lib

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 4:54pm

Hi lib,

I've had CH for 30 years and go real aggressive fighting back with abortives and preventatives -  to the point of not having had to experience even a single full length, full blow attack for the duration of a couple of my more recent episodes (that'd be about 5 months worth).

So now that I've touted my credentials  Tongue, I'd like to address some of your questions:

Prednisone, the commonly used steroid for CH, is incredibly dangerous, as in permanent, severe side effects, when used with sustained high doses. So much so that few doctors would even prescribe it that way. Of course we clusterheads can become very desperate and decide to ignore a prescription's dosages, but that is a huge mistake.

Imitrex. Some have reported that taking the pill form before bed when they expect to be awakened in an hour or so with an attack can actually work. Injectible is the fool proof form of imitrex though, and the side effects, cost, etc. are minimizied when you follow this critical imitrex tip:

I use O2 as a first line abortive, but keep imitrex injections on hand in case the O2 doesn't work. The imitrex is more powerful, and for me makes a good back up.

So we're talking about all these toxic drugs here. Imagine a bizarre and thoroughly twisted world where everyone is running around pumping themselves full of dangerous drugs for a serious condition, when there there's a common non toxic mushroom growing wild out in nature, that when eaten, could be such a powerful CH fighter that some people even find that it will knock out an entire episode. But this mushroom is illegal.

Well that's our world. Things are starting to un-twist a little though, because Psilocybin in sub hallucinogenic doses has been turning around some of the most severe cases of CH ever known, and Harvard Medical et al are even starting serious research trials with it, with Newsweek, national Geographic, etc. doing favorable reports.

More info about it can be found at clusterbusters.com and their forum, and here's a video talk on the subject:

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010 at 9:06pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 7:46pm

Hi bejeeber,
Thanks for the info; i think the pharmaceutical companies are all in it for the money, like most businesses. I give my dogs pred without  any issues but maybe they filter it better than we do.  I'm all for nature's way of handling this syndrome; unfortunately, I have no where to turn for natural remedies.  My hubby (bless him) looked all over today for Kudzu and Taurine (forgot to tell him about Red Bull; although that is a little scary because of my tachycardia). He will be getting my O2 tomorrow if I can get it ordered through the neuro, if not, I'll just tell them it's for one of my dogs..LOL Hopefully I can get the canine mask modified!  HA!

I have found that the double dose of Depakote is making me a bit lethargic and I'm losing my passion for things I love, I even think my humor is slipping a little...go figure.  I have decided if the "devil" is looking for a soul to steal he has stumbled upon the wrong girl!  Thanks for the info!  lib

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 7:49pm

lib wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 7:46pm:
I have decided if the "devil" is looking for a soul to steal he has stumbled upon the wrong girl! 

Wink good on you!  Hope you get some relief soon.

Kate

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 9:18pm

Lib, you'll find that Kudzu and taurine can be ordered at a good discount at places like iherb.com.

If you happen to be close to them in California, and the weather's not too hot right now, that could be a good way to go, because they ship out fast.

Or who could blame ya for paying more of a premium to get it immediately if you have a Vitamin Shoppe outlet, a Whole Foods, or some other health food store nearby?

I would be concerned about mail ordering and having it shipped across the country to another state at this time of year though, since the heat can kill stuff. I suppose you'd want to look into how heat sensitive taurine is.

PS - when I talk about the dangers of sustained prednisone use, I know for sure that 60 mg a day and above is a dangerous dosage to sustain, but don't know much about lower dosages.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2010 at 4:08pm by bejeeber »  

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 10:25pm

Thanks Kate and bejeeber,
Now a question for all....can I take the melatonin with my other meds? I am taking Depakote 1000mg, prednisone 10mg (just came off the 60mg dose pack), and maxalt 10mg. Would like to try the melatonin tonight and maybe a cup of coffee. Anyone have a recipe for Kudzu tea? What are RC seeds and what do they do? Will take your advice bejeeber and check out the whole food store in Memphis. Just wanted to hurry up and get everything done today; I want my arsenal ready and I plan to win this battle as well as the war! lib

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:58am

lib,
Kinda thought you might be around that area (Memphis),  you must live in North MS (my home town is Pleasant Hill).

Try any health food store, they also have kudzu extract and taurine.

Yes, you can take melatonin with the other stuff, although you might be negating melatonins' effect by drinking coffee.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Hii Lib,

RC seeds are "Rivea Corymbosa". If I still have my facts straight, they are flower seeds that contain a little bit of the same LSA ingredient that is in Psilocybin which is known to be a CH fighter.

Psilocybin certainly is a more powerful medicinal plant, but RC is legal to mail order and possess.

More info can be found at clusterbusters.com and it's forum, plus there are plenty of members here knowledgeable about it, and some informative responses to a topic devoted to RC would likely be forthcoming in the "Medications, treatments" forum on this site.

IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 9:16pm

Hello Delta Darlin and Bejeeber,
Thanks for the replies. Yes DeltaDarlin, I am familiar with that area in MS. I noticed some pictures from LA that look similar to my neck of the woods on this site. I lost my"triple tree" (oak) to Katrina and am still sick over it. I am originally born and raised on the East Coast and followed my hubby out here 9 years ago. Have not stumbled across any cow pastures with fungi yet! lol. Will try the melatonin tonight without caffeine although I think the caffeine helps me in general. The one thing I have learned about myself during this process is that I am actually afraid of something... never thought that would be the case with me.  I'm afraid of the pain, I'm afraid of the meds, I'm afraid of the embarrassment etc, etc, etc. It is a humbling experience. Thanks for the info! lib

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 10:21pm

Hi lib:

I'm glad to meet you but sorry it has to be because of this horror.

Sometimes my sleeping in a recliner would prevent one of my overnight attacks. At least it's non-invasive and the price is right.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2010 at 10:22pm by Charlie »  

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:07pm

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the tip. I tried that a couple of time and propping myself up on pillows on the bed as well. I've also tried staying up past the bewitching hour. Nothing seems to help but I am new at this. I just took my 1000mg of Depakote and a melatonin and we'll see what happens...this is such a guessing game! lib

IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 12:16pm

Hello All,
Last night I took my Depakote and a Melatonin and I just woke up (10 glorious PF hours)!! Okay, so I missed work but I SLEPT for the first time without a hit since May!  I am so excited and am hoping it is not just a coincidence. Will try again tonight and see what happens... thanks for your prayers!  e

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 3:30pm

lib wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 12:16pm:
Last night I took my Depakote and a Melatonin and I just woke up (10 glorious PF hours)!! Okay, so I missed work but I SLEPT for the first time without a hit since May!  I am so excited and am hoping it is not just a coincidence. Will try again tonight and see what happens... thanks for your prayers!

Sleep is the best! And we all know what it's like to be afraid to go to bed. Take each day as it comes, armed and armored against the beast, and keep fighting for relief. You are your best advocate, but this site isn't far behind! Blessings! lance

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 3:49pm

What lance just said.  Cool

Plus YAY! for an actual nights sleep sans beast.  Smiley

IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #20 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 4:07pm

Lance and bejeeber,
Thanks for the encouragement! I stumbled across the messages on hormone replacement and wonder if the increasing prevalence of CH in women is related to increased testosterone treatment for endometriosis in the late 70's, 80's, and 90's, or perhaps postponing childbirth,or the increase of birthcontrol using testosterone. I have an appointment to have my levels checked. I hate defeat and I intend to keep going until I find my weapon.  I understand it is different for all of us; but don't you think there MUST be a common denominator? lib

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #21 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:58pm

My CH started in my late teens, now in early 40's.  The only year I've not had cycles was when I was pregnant so perhaps hormones do play a part?  I read on another thread about low testosterone levels being a factor - but honestly always thought that my levels were slightly high?  Never had them tested to confirm this - was going to once but the test cost over $200, not something I can afford.

Pleased to hear your getting some relief! 

Kate

IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #22 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 11:00pm

Hi Kate,
High for a woman...but low for a man... just a thought.

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #23 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 12:23am

Hi Lib,

Please do yourself a favor per bejeeber and check out Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and threads pertaining to RC seeds. Easy and cheap to obtain and you do not have to walk around any cow pastures. Two threads you may find helpful are "RC Seeds my story" by Agent Orange, also "and so my experiment begins" by yours truly. By the way I did use 50mg imitrex pills as a preventative however my cycles started extending from  few months to longer than a year with a switch of sides 8 months in. Good luck, I hope you get many pain free nights of sleep.

David

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!