Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil and Taurine Caution (Read 5648 times)
wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Verapamil and Taurine Caution
Jul 10th, 2010 at 8:55am

In another post, Brew issued the following caution when using Verapamil and Taurine:

Quote:
The rule of thumb I used was that if I was taking verapamil, I would limit myself to using an energy drink once a day. It was Carl D. that pointed me to a study showing that combining taurine and verapamil can cause some electrical problems with heartbeat regulation.

Anecdotally, I noticed a few times where my heart would seem to flutter a little or skip a beat if I had taken a 2nd or 3rd energy drink while on verapamil therapy. 

Since so many of us now rely on our energy drinks, and it appears a number of us use Verapamil as a preventative as well, I thought this might be a useful post. Do many of us mix the two?

I have a friend who discovered I was using Monster as an assistive abortive with O2, who bought me a bottle of taurine tabs. She was being a good samaritan and all, but I was reluctant to take something regularly that worked occasionally. Now I'm glad I didn't take them. Anyone else have some experience with this? lance

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Re: Verapamil and Taurine Caution
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:48am

Definitely a good thing to know for all of us Verapamil users. Thankfully I have been already limiting my self on 1 energy drink a day as it does affect my sleep.

Thanks Lance

Donna Mae 

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 11:04am

I thought the following information could be useful to some people here.

Quote:
Taurine is a critical amino acid for the brain as it helps generate nerve impulses. It is crucial to newborns, since they cannot make it. Taurine functions in the brain and the heart to help stabilize cell membranes. It is also an antioxidant with detoxifying activities seen especially in the eyes and the lungs. Its main uses include treatment of epilepsy and ADHD where it acts as a mild sedative. Other common conditions helped by Taurine include fluid retention and high blood pressure.

# Benefits and Uses of Taurine include Arrhythmias
# Asthma
# Antioxidant for the eyes
# Bloating
# Blood Clots
# Breathing constriction
# Congestive heart failure
# Cystic fibrosis
# Diabetes/glucose metabolism
# Epilepsy
# Fat digestion
# Heart strength & rhythm
# High blood pressure
# Immune weakness
# Liver and Kidney disease
# Lung ailments
# Macular Degeneration
# Ovarian Cancer
# Vision impairment

Are there any nutrients that help Taurine work more effectively?
Magnesium, zinc, and B-complex all increase the effectiveness of Taurine.

What are some food sources of Taurine?
Clams, shellfish, seafood, and meat are all sources of Taurine.

Are there any drug contraindications with Taurine?
Taurine will lower blood pressure in hypertensives, and their medication will need to be reduced.

Heart Disease and Blood Pressure
Almost everyone with high blood pressure has benefited from Taurine supplementation. It helps by encouraging the excretion of excess fluid, which takes pressure of the blood vessels. It dampens the sympathetic nervous system, and relieves arterial spasms that can cause blood pressure to rise.

Seizure Disorders
It has been shown that patients with epilepsy or brain irritability often stop having seizures when they take Taurine regularly.

Protecting Vision
Taurine provides eyes with antioxidant protection. A deficiency of Taurine damages the retinas in people and animals.

Stabilizing Blood Sugar
Taurine helps stabilize blood sugar in both TypeI and TypeII diabetes.

Immune Weakness
Taurine helps rebuild a suppressed immune system by protecting white blood cells from self-destruction as they battle-invading microbes.

Breathing & Lung Protection
Taurine protects the lungs from free radical damage. Studies suggest that taurine offers nearly complete protection from respiratory hazards such as ozone. Asthma attacks are diminished significantly when 500mg of taurine is taken as a lung aerosol.

Since Verapamil is basically a "heart medication" (this info. was supplied by my Neuro.) it stands to reason that Taurine usage should be done cautiously.

For a while I was taking a Taurine supplement as part of my daily CH fighting regime but...given that I am on verapamil and had started suffering some weird side affects I had to stop the Taurine supplements. Having heart palpitations isn't a good thing.

For those who have a hard time with Taurine and Verapamil you can also get Taurine from Natural sources such as ...  Clams, shellfish, seafood, and meat.  I have increased these items in my diet, mostly the sea food aspect  Grin Yum!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 8:35am

Thanks for the post, Ginger. And since I'm a lover of seafood, its double good news! Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Mauro149
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 12:16pm

I have read that anyone using Verapamil, especially dosages above 240mg/day, should perform EKG's on a regular basis.

Verapamil, on the long run, can potentially cause atrioventricular block or bradycardia.

Hence, stressing the heart too much (especially if you have heart irregularities and are unaware of it) with energy drinks and other may reveal, with time, dangerous.

I myself have reported that verapamil alone, unaccompanied by enything else whatsoever, is quite effective in 2 weeks, in my case completely eliminating hits, from 4 a day to zero - from one day to the next!

This is one of te source articles, based on a scientific study:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:43am

Quote:
I have read that anyone using Verapamil, especially dosages above 240mg/day, should perform EKG's on a regular basis.

My neuros are very cautious with this and do order an ekg after each 3 month appointment, mostly as a precaution. So far I've not seen a significant drop in blood pressure, and at 400mgs a day the ch's seem to be at bay. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!