Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back after 3 years (Read 1869 times)
Putter
CH.com Junior

Glad I am not alone with
CH

Ontario Canada
Back after 3 years
Jul 8th, 2010 at 1:33pm

Hi there, It is nice to know this message board is around. I have been luckily PF for 3 years. I started some shadows last month but now suffered from two attacks in the last few days which is a sign that things will get progressively worse. Oiy, not again Sad 

I have a doctors appt on July 14 to get myself some meds. I am thinking Verapamil is the way to go.  I have some from 2007 in my med. cab. Should I just start taking it?  I need to be able to work and parent my little ones and I understand it takes a bit to start working so that is why I wanted to start it ASAP.  I am also treating each attack with nasal imitrex.  Suggestions anyone?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Back after 3 years
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 1:49pm

Hey there, and welcome back. Undecided Sorry you need to be back but glad you are here. You mentioned verapamil and imitrex nasal spray. As to the first, given the age of the pills you have left over, I'm not sure I'd start them, espcecially since you ought to have your BP and heart checked first. The best results seem to come from the 400-960 mg range and that's too much to take on without doctor's guidance. The nasal spray works for some, but the injections work the best. Check out the imitrex tip on the left and really check out the best abortive ever(!) O2. Done properly and with the right equipment, O2 is the best d***n abortive around. Good luck and keep us informed! Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 6:30pm

Also try drinking a Red Bull or similar (make sure it's got taurine and caffeine) when you feel a CH starting. You can do this whilst you wait for the 14th for your doctors appointment.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:07pm

With a week to go yet for your appointment, might be worth giving the doc a call. Ask about starting the verapamil now, perhaps with a steroid taper, to tide you over until the appoinment. Often times doc's are willing to help you out over the phone, even if they can't get you in for a regular appoinment. You probably have a good idea of how fast your cycle ramps up and know whether or not you've got enough in the cabinet to tide you over until the 14th.

Do try the energy drinks. They'll kill smaller hits and take the edge off of the bigger ones. I use one with my oxygen as it seems to prevent the bounce back attacks I sometimes suffer when I shut off the 02. I prefer Red Bull sugar free as it has the least obnoxious taste I've found!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:10pm

Hi Putter Welcome back and sorry to hear the beast is buggin you again.

Imitrex injections are better than the nasal, but O2 is better than both.

Not sure how fast Verapamil goes "bad" but I'd talk to your doctor before trying to use verapamil from 2007.

Good Luck and keep us up to date.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:04pm

If you do start taking the verapamil (it's most likely fine), be careful with the amount of energy drinks, if you go that route. Verapamil and taurine together can play havoc with the ol' ticker.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 8:51am

Brew wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:04pm:
If you do start taking the verapamil (it's most likely fine), be careful with the amount of energy drinks, if you go that route. Verapamil and taurine together can play havoc with the ol' ticker.

Interesting, but it makes sense. What do you think of being on verapamil regularly as a preventative and using an energy drink for an abortive? Same contraindications? lance

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 11:34am

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 8:51am:
Interesting, but it makes sense. What do you think of being on verapamil regularly as a preventative and using an energy drink for an abortive? Same contraindications? lance

Yes. The rule of thumb I used was that if I was taking verapamil, I would limit myself to using an energy drink once a day. It was Carl D. that pointed me to a study showing that combining taurine and verapamil can cause some electrical problems with heartbeat regulation.

Anecdotally, I noticed a few times where my heart would seem to flutter a little or skip a beat if I had taken a 2nd or 3rd energy drink while on verapamil therapy.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 2:05am

JustNotRight wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:10pm:

I agree with this on many levels, such as O2 being safer, cheaper than imitrex, plus non toxic, etc.

But I don't believe better means more powerful in this case. Personally I find imitrex to be a more powerful abortive. I need to have some imitrex injections on hand when I'm at peak cycle and being hit hard, because I can count on them to dispatch a major wake up hit when my first line abortive - O2 - doesn't.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010 at 1:03am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 8:32am

bejeeber wrote on Jul 10th, 2010 at 2:05am:
JustNotRight wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:10pm:

I agree with this on many levels, such as O2 being safer, cheaper than imitrex, plus non toxic, etc.

But I don't believe better means more pwerful in this case. Personally I find imitrex to be a more powerful abortive. I need to have some imitrex injections on hand when I'm at peak cycle and being hit hard, because I can count on them to dispatch a major wake up hit when my first line abortive - O2 - doesn't.

You are correct Bejeeber; I meant better, as in better for you than putting the chemicals in imitrex in your body.  I probably should have clarified that, Thanks!

Imitrex is more powerful and does work faster than O2 for me as well.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 8:51am

Thanks, Brew. I'm going to start a post on this since so many of us find the energy drinks useful. Take a look over on medications and treatments. God bless! lance

IP Logged

Putter
CH.com Junior

Glad I am not alone with
CH

Ontario Canada
Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 4:10pm

Thanks for posts to my message. I appreciate it. I learnt alot too.   Smiley  I am going to post what my doctor told me too on a separate post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!