Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
missed verapamil=attack (Read 2521 times)
Diamond Lucidity
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
missed verapamil=attack
Jul 6th, 2010 at 2:09am

Verapamil makes me tired, fatigued, depressed somewhat. I do a little, have to sit down, do more then sit down. I have no energy. I'm not myself anymore. I'm supposed to take 2 a day. If I take 2 a day, 12 hours apart, I don't have any attacks. Great news!! Then since I felt so bad from side effects, I thought I'd skip a dose at night. Attack within 2 hours! Oh, I won't do that again. Lie. 5 days later, I thought I feel so bad-skip a dose. Attack! Then, can you believe I waited about 6 days and was stupid enough to try missing a dose again?? Yes, attack!! It's the only med that ever worked on preventing attacks but I feel so zapped out. I also get very dizzy but don't think they could cut dosage because immediate attacks within 2 hrs of missed doses. This should surely show them what's wrong with me. What's wrong with me????  I had cycles during my life with no meds whatsoever that lasted about 4 months with tons of attacks-then they were gone for about 12 to 15 months. Do you think taking meds might make cycle last longer than just suffering the pain and letting it run its course? I'm only at 3 months so far this time, but it did occur to me that made me think maybe you should let it happen if you can go without pulling your eyeball out of your head. Grasping at straws and insanity probably setting in.

From where does it come and where does it go????????

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: missed verapamil=attack
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 5:50am

Clearly, time to get back to the doc and look at your options. Don't get into the game of self-medication manipulaton--just not cool!

Read the PDF file, below, and take a copy to your doc,using it as a tool to discuss options.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:04am

Verapamil is one of those preventative drugs that takes 10-14 days to build up in the serum level to become effective. I'm thinking that missing one dose after you've been taking it for a long time wouldn't have that kind of immediate effect. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like a fluke (okay, a couple of flukes).

But Bob is right - time to talk to your doc.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:33am

2 pills of how much?

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:09am

Brew wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:04am:
Verapamil is one of those preventative drugs that takes 10-14 days to build up in the serum level to become effective. I'm thinking that missing one dose after you've been taking it for a long time wouldn't have that kind of immediate effect. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like a fluke (okay, a couple of flukes).

But Bob is right - time to talk to your doc.

Yeah, verapamil takes time to build up in your system, but you could totally be having effects from missing just one dose - your blood pressure would likely go up and you don't get that (even slight) bolus effect from the med.  (from the 2x/d dosing schedule, I'm thinking that you're on the sustained release?)  Many of the SSRI anti-depressants take 4-6 weeks to kick in, but I know people who miss just one dose several months later and totally feel the effects...   The human body is a funny thing...
I'm thinking, particularly if your body is just on the borderline of having enough medication floating around, if you will, at any given time - miss one dose and you drop below 'critical mass' of medication.

I do completely agree with Bob_Johnson and Brew though - definately talk to your dr.  There are lots of meds to try (if you haven't already) - hopefully, you don't have to be in a
damned if you do, damned if you don't situation...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:18am

Quote:
but I know people who miss just one dose several months later and totally feel the effects

you mean that while on verap no hits at all and if you forget just one dosage you get hit?

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:30am

black wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:18am:
Quote:
but I know people who miss just one dose several months later and totally feel the effects

you mean that while on verap no hits at all and if you forget just one dosage you get hit?

I was talking about SSRIs, but I could totally see it happening with Verapamil as well - everybody and every body is different.   Wink

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Diamond Lucidity
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 12:06pm

The verapamil is extended release 120 mg twice a day. May sound low but I only weigh 112lbs. Verap has been a miracle. Since starting it, the only attacks were when I missed a dose because I didn't want to be so fatigued and dizzy. I was already tired everyday from having Grave's disease. Now I'm super tired but verapamil has controlled the attacks. Recently had back and neck surgery and a few years back, shoulder and foot surgery, so I feel beat up from head to toe. I really mean head to toe! I have appts. with neurologist coming up and at the neuro-spine center because neck pain isn't letting up from surgery in March. I'm glad you're here because family and friends don't understand someone in so much pain.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 12:29pm

Studies have shown the regular or immediate release form of verapamil to be more effective for most CH'ers. You might want to talk to your doc about it. Might also help with the constant tiredness (i.e., maybe you'd only be tired for an hour or two after taking it instead of all day)? I'm just guessing on that one, but it might be worth a shot.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 3:52pm

When I was using Verap several years ago I would have a similar situation.  Verap never totally stopped mine, but if I were to miss a dose I would notice they went from a K4-5 to a K7-8 right away.  I was on a much higher dosage though, and I got tired of being tired all the time and still getting hit, so when I read a thread about using Kudzu I decided to give it a try.  I get the same results, if not better, than I did with Verap and Lithium together and no side effects.  However, if I miss a dose with it I will get a notification from the beast that night as well.

I agree with Bob and Brew though.  You need to discuss this with your Dr. right away.  You may want to try a different med option, and if that doesn't work look into alternatives.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Mauro149
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 12:27pm

I have been on V for a little over a month now, but my doc (a luminar in the field) prescribed 2x120mg tabs before going to bed, to diminish the "tiresome" effect, perhaps. It's a slow release drug, so probably it doesn't get absorbed straight away.

I do report tiresomeness, but at a sustainable, moderate level.

And the same thing happened to me when I forgot my tabs on 2 occasions (silly, distracted me): attacks within 24 hrs! I mean from having had zero hits a day for two weeks, one day without V brought me back to 3 hits a day. But as soon as I took the medicine again, they went back to zero over 24 hrs. Weird, but I think the "rebound" effect of this medicine can be quite dangerous.

The last time this happened was saturday, after 3 weeks of "freedom". This makes me think that the Verapamil delays the whole series instead of eliminating it straight out, even though time will tell me if I am right on this or not.

I'm not too sure when to stop dosing at this point. My normal cycle would last 4-5 weeks, am now in my 6th but I'm afraid stopping - even gradually - will bring the beast on again!

IP Logged

Diamond Lucidity
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 1:11am

I saw the neurologist last week. He said he could change my med since I'm so tired, but since it is preventing attacks, he'd rather not. I'm afraid to miss a dose so I'm afraid to change med. This cycle seems longer than usual, and I'm afraid to stop med yet. He said to stay on it a while and wrote scrip for more refills. Hope it ends soon. Sorry to hear this happened to you missing a dose, but at least I know now I'm not the only one.

IP Logged

lib
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

mississippi
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:32am

Hi all,
Years ago I was put on verapamil because I had "unilateral migraines", they were always on the left with eye involvement. I never had the 'space shuttle" launching from my brain back then...I'm talking about the late 70s and 80s... I really thought I was being treated for high blood pressure causing migraines.  i was on Verapamil until about 10 years ago and my PCP at the time tapered me off.  At that time I still did not realize that I had CH.  I learned by accident that placing my face in front of the a/c worked to get rid of the pain...much beter than the narcotics that were readily dispensed back then; they only seemed to prolong the pain.  So ten pain free years they are back but this time with all the classic symptoms of CH. Alas, I am, once again, on Verapamil with excellent results. I take Calan SR 120 mg 2x a day and I'll assume I'll be on this forever.  The thought of having to deal with the pain far outweighs any health risk at this time.  When I get brave, I think I will try the alternatives; for today, I just pray I don't forget a dose.  lib

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!