Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why such a backlash against narcotic treatment? (Read 7007 times)
JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Why such a backlash against narcotic treatment?
Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 9:07am

foolclip281 wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 12:33pm:
I have CH and I find that narcotics are many times VERY effective in relieving the pain. Maybe not all the way, or as quick as imitrex, but they sure are cheaper... And I find they very much work. I don't see how many of you who clearly understand pain as we all know it, can seemingly get on this high horse like your some kind of MD and chastise people who are just asking questions. A pain pill may not work for you for a CH but if it works for someone else don't scream at them over the computer, tell them how ignorant they are and how smart you are, tell them how you know exactly what works and what doesn't. It's annoying and to new guys to this site like me makes you lose all credibility as someone to take advice from. I don't care if you've got 826,000 posts and have been on here for X amount of years, if you're mean to people and your way is the highway, you are not helping people. If a pain med works for someone don't tell them otherwise, remember how we all feel when we're told "Oh it's just a headache, get over it, I get those all the time." Wink

Your invitation to the 8th grade picnic has been revoked.  Tongue

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 11:01am

All of our experience tells us that this thread will die of exhaustion and nothing will change. Such a waste of energy!

The argument about narcotics deflects us from the core issue: Given the nature of CH, what are the best routes to relief and control?

Dealing with a disorder (CH) which might affect us for decades, any treatment should be useful, practical, and relatively safe.

Any treatments should be as effective as possible, given the range of treatments available.

We have general, long standing agreement, that narcotics are not very effective to abort CH pain, especially given our other options. We have broad, general agreement on safe meds which are effective, practical, and acceptable for the many years which we may have to use them.

We acknowledge that individual variation in response to various treatments is a burden for many people who must search, run multiple trials, before they find relief. But we don't challenge them for their attempts to find relief.

Once we have offered our best evidence about effective treatments, the judicious use of the delete key is not a bad step.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #27 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 6:57pm

Narco's did gr8 for the head but didn't touch the beast!

And they make you stooooopid!    Shocked

Peace!  Love you guys!

IP Logged

foolclip281
CH.com Newbie

One Deep Until Die

Spring, TX
Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 10:50am

Troll??? Far from it man, try just a normal guy who happens to have a different opinion... And won't back down for what he believes.

"Everybody has a plan, till' they get punched in the mouth."  Mike Tyson

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 4:26pm

Can I have your stuff?

Potter

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:04pm

Potter wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 4:26pm:
Can I have your stuff?

Potter

Grin

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:13pm

die thread...oh please dear God make this thread die die die..... Smiley

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #32 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:22pm

Dear Thread...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:27am

JustNotRight wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:22pm:
Dear Thread...

i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv204/gngr-stew/fuck_you.jpg

Grin  Grin  Grin
Even bad threads can have good side effects! Great photo, Ginger! lance

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #34 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:06pm

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:27am:
JustNotRight wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:22pm:
Dear Thread...

i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv204/gngr-stew/fuck_you.jpg

Grin  Grin  Grin
Even bad threads can have good side effects! Great photo, Ginger! lance

Grin  Thanks, I call it "Cat-Bird"   Grin

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #35 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 11:07am

i knew a guy once that told me to try methadone. he claimed that he had great success. i never tried it.

it seems that narcotics would alleviate the pain and not have any lasting effects.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #36 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 12:38pm

-johnny- wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 11:07am:
it seems that narcotics would alleviate the pain and not have any lasting effects.

They don't even do that very well. Not THIS type of pain, anyway.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #37 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 1:21pm

The neurologist here who has successfully treated my husband's CH, totally in accordance with everyone's suggestions here, BOUNCES patient's who come into his office with CH demanding narcotics. He gives a simple reply after the request: "that will do nothing but make it worse".

He doesn't prescribe them. Period.

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

reptile
CH.com Junior

life is the school; love
is the lesson

x0|Venice|||0|0|CA,California
Reply #38 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:54pm

I have had CH for 22 yrs.  O2 is my mainstay treatment.  Triptans work well for me, too.  I am generally wary of narcotics because there is a part of my family that addicts easily.  I am not subject to easy addiction, however.  I have had many operation in my life, and afterwards always just notice that "oh, I haven't needed any pain meds in a week and they are just siting in the drawer."

I agree that narcotics should not be the mainstay treatment for CH, and prescription of them for CH HAS to be carefully monitored by an MD because a significant % of folks are prone to addiction.  When I worked for touring bands many years ago, I saw folks become addicted to stuff in a matter of a few days.

I always look at treatments for any disease--including CH--in terms of efficacy for the individual: do they work for people, even at one end or the other of the Bell Curve?  Hence, I disapprove when people adamantly state: "narcotics never work for CH sufferers."  For instance, when I am in a modest cycle (no killers, infrequent attacks, the type of thing that 3-5 minutes at 7.5 lpm of O2 will always take care of) and a feel the shadow come on when I am a my daughter's school watching a play, I can pop a Vicodin and feel about 80% confident that I won't have to go to the car and grab my mobile oxygen in 15 minutes.  Note that this usage is for specific circumstances and based on years and years of  experience and is about me only.  Just as I have prescriptions of Relpax, Frova and Zomig, Verapamil, Topomax, Indomethacin and Prednison (which I use about once a year), I NEVER leave home without little box of Vicodin, Demoral and Oxycontin.  How often do I use them?  Not very.  I am susceptible to rebound with all of them, for one.  They all keep me awake if I take them after 9 pm, for another.  And I only use them in two circumstances really, situations similar to the one I described above and when a killer is so far out of control + the Red Bull treatment is either not available to me or has not worked + I am not in a narcotic rebound situation + it is not after 9 pm.  Thus a prescription for #30 10 mg Demoral, even in a terrible cycle tends to last me 2-3-4 months; #30 10 mg Oxycontin tends to last even longer as I take it less frequently due to its bad effects on my digestive system.  In terms of actual use, I might do 2, 3 or 4 days without using either Demerol or Oxycontin, then take 3 or 4 of one or the other to battle a 10+ CH.  Vicodin I use a bit more of.  I get bottles of 60, that tend to last about 2-3 months during a cycle, most of the use being in the early part.

BTW, when I take "big gun" narcotics when I have a 10+ CH, as many would imagine, sometimes it does not really knock out the pain (sometimes it does in 20-25 minutes), but rather just make me not care very much, or as much.

BTW, I see my neuro of 22 years every few weeks and she knows everything about my narcotic use, including that my brother is an addict.  (He was sober for 27 years, then started using again after a neck operation 7 years ago.)

Finally, my cycles can last 6 or even 8 months as I am a chronic, acute CH person.  I recently had 9 months pain free which was great (and good for my stomach, too).

I hope this presentation provides some insight to one CH sufferers' long time non-addictive use of narcotics for occasional use in CH treatment.

thee werido still known by some as thee reptile

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #39 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 4:20pm

reptile wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:54pm:
I have had CH for 22 yrs.  O2 is my mainstay treatment.  Triptans work well for me, too.  I am generally wary of narcotics because there is a part of my family that addicts easily.  I am not subject to easy addiction, however.  I have had many operation in my life, and afterwards always just notice that "oh, I haven't needed any pain meds in a week and they are just siting in the drawer."

I agree that narcotics should not be the mainstay treatment for CH, and prescription of them for CH HAS to be carefully monitored by an MD because a significant % of folks are prone to addiction.  When I worked for touring bands many years ago, I saw folks become addicted to stuff in a matter of a few days.

I always look at treatments for any disease--including CH--in terms of efficacy for the individual: do they work for people, even at one end or the other of the Bell Curve?  Hence, I disapprove when people adamantly state: "narcotics never work for CH sufferers."  For instance, when I am in a modest cycle (no killers, infrequent attacks, the type of thing that 3-5 minutes at 7.5 lpm of O2 will always take care of) and a feel the shadow come on when I am a my daughter's school watching a play, I can pop a Vicodin and feel about 80% confident that I won't have to go to the car and grab my mobile oxygen in 15 minutes.  Note that this usage is for specific circumstances and based on years and years of  experience and is about me only.  Just as I have prescriptions of Relpax, Frova and Zomig, Verapamil, Topomax, Indomethacin and Prednison (which I use about once a year), I NEVER leave home without little box of Vicodin, Demoral and Oxycontin.  How often do I use them?  Not very.  I am susceptible to rebound with all of them, for one.  They all keep me awake if I take them after 9 pm, for another.  And I only use them in two circumstances really, situations similar to the one I described above and when a killer is so far out of control + the Red Bull treatment is either not available to me or has not worked + I am not in a narcotic rebound situation + it is not after 9 pm.  Thus a prescription for #30 10 mg Demoral, even in a terrible cycle tends to last me 2-3-4 months; #30 10 mg Oxycontin tends to last even longer as I take it less frequently due to its bad effects on my digestive system.  In terms of actual use, I might do 2, 3 or 4 days without using either Demerol or Oxycontin, then take 3 or 4 of one or the other to battle a 10+ CH.  Vicodin I use a bit more of.  I get bottles of 60, that tend to last about 2-3 months during a cycle, most of the use being in the early part.

BTW, when I take "big gun" narcotics when I have a 10+ CH, as many would imagine, sometimes it does not really knock out the pain (sometimes it does in 20-25 minutes), but rather just make me not care very much, or as much.

BTW, I see my neuro of 22 years every few weeks and she knows everything about my narcotic use, including that my brother is an addict.  (He was sober for 27 years, then started using again after a neck operation 7 years ago.)

Finally, my cycles can last 6 or even 8 months as I am a chronic, acute CH person.  I recently had 9 months pain free which was great (and good for my stomach, too).

I hope this presentation provides some insight to one CH sufferers' long time non-addictive use of narcotics for occasional use in CH treatment.

Never leave home without my Vicodin sounds like a leetle problem.

Potter

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #40 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 12:32am

Hi,

Narcotics aren't always terrible, they just tend to be the worst of many possible options.  I sometimes use them too, and I answered why they should be the last choice here (edited to delete broken link).  I also  bumped the thread so you can find it easier.

Katy
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010 at 2:31pm by Katherinecm »  

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #41 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 9:31am

Having a calm discussion about narcotics is like having a calm discussion about gun control. If you or someone close to you has suffered from handgun violence, you'll have an immediate knee jerk reaction that all guns are intrensically evil and should be banned for all time. As a former police officer I view them the same as a carpenter views his hammer. It's just a tool. An extremely dangerous tool, whose use must be constantly monitored and evaluated, but just a tool.

Narcotics have the same effect on people. If they, a relative or close friend has suffered from addiction, they will immediately say all narcotics are evil and are the scourge of society. Because of the horrors they have endured, or the horrors they have witnessed being inflicted on a relative or loved one, it's almost impossible for them to be open minded and objective.

In the past when this topic has been raised, it's resulted in people becoming so angry they've either been chased away from the board or just left out of frutration. I'd hope future conversations will remain at a more adult, calm level.

Joes 2 cents.

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 7:31am

Good post, Joe.

IP Logged

reptile
CH.com Junior

life is the school; love
is the lesson

Reply #43 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:22pm

To Potter:

I never leave home w/ Vicodin just like I always have O2 in the car and in my office: so that my tools are always available.  I set forth how often I use Vicodin in my post: that you chose to ignore that information (which works out to maybe once for every 5 or 8 times I have it with me, something like that), and told me I have a "problem," choosing to judge me rather than looking at the data I presented.  Who has a problem?  In this case, about judging.

My Neuro has been closely monitoring my Narcotics usage (she has written every script I have ever had) for 22 years.  She knows my brother is an addict as does every one around me, including my wife.  As I said before, my Neuo believes that I am among the small percentage of CH sufferers who can use narcotics as a tool with CH. My mother and sister, both neuros (who both have been, obviously, intimately involved in the horrors of my brother's addiction for many years), follow all of this closely. And yet you judge me.  How do you know more than everyone who is involved in my care and care's so much about me?  How is it that I can go 8 months (like I did until my cycle started 7 weeks or so ago) without taking any narcotics) if I have such a "problem?"  Who the hell are you to talk to me the way you do?

Ten days or so ago, I expressed some misgivings about how I was being responded to on this site.  Some folks have been warm and welcoming.  Others . . . well.

I guess it takes all kinds.

peace on the planet,
thee reptile

IP Logged

reptile
CH.com Junior

life is the school; love
is the lesson

Reply #44 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:18pm

I note with appreciation the posts by Katy & Joe, both of which showed understanding and tolerance.

thee reptile

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #45 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:34pm

Wow,

If i thought it would work i would do them too.
no one here, and i mean no one is in that dungen with you fighting these things. The one thing that is yours and yours alone is the pain. We go thourgh it like you,
but when the beast comes, he is coming for you and you alone.

In the words of the great Al Davis " just win baby, just win"

My advise is this. Do what you got to do!

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!