Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's back (Read 1343 times)
WacoJohn
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Waco|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
It's back
Jun 13th, 2010 at 4:14pm

Suffered clusters for decades.  Caught a break from them for about the last two years.  Starting a couple of nights ago, they are back.  99% starts during sleep.  Get up IMMEDIATELY and take one ESGIC (Fioricet)  40MG.  Pain at that point is about an 8 and within 30 minutes . its gone and I can resume sleep.  This med is to be taken every 4 hours as needed, but just one and I am good until the next night .. thank God.

I know I am MOST fortunate to have something that works.  I just hope it stays that way.  With any luck, this series won't last too long.

Just wanted to introduce myself and 'join the club' so to speak.  Good luck to you all .. may you have ample relief anytime you need it.

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Re: It's back
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 4:33pm

Welcome to the community John!  Check you PM's.

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 6:05pm

Welcome to the club John. In the early 80's, I used to use fiorinal for my attacks. It would ratchet the pain down and in less then an hour would eliminate most of them. Over the years it became less and less effective for me.

Now I'm one of the "oxygen evangelists" you'll see a lot of on this board. An attack starts, in less then 10 minutes I'm completely pain free just by huffing the 02. No drug side effects and it's cheap. Read the oxygen info link on the left, been a life changer for many of us.

Have you ever been put on a prevent med while on cycle? I use Lithium while on cycle, blocks about 60-70% of my attacks. Verapamil is a common first line prevent and Topomax has a pretty loyal following on the board.

Energy drinks are all the rage too now. Rock Star, Monster, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine. Chug one down at the first sign of an attack, it will reduce and even eliminate an attack for many.

Glad you found us.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

WacoJohn
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 6:19pm

Thank you Joe for the reply.  It is apparent O2 is effective.  My problem is my medical care comes from the Veterans Administation and they are very tough to deal with.  I have strong doubts they would put me on O2 .. which is why I am grateful to God the Fioricet works for now.  I predict it will be a 50/50 chance that it will get me through series or start not working.  At that point, I will proably have to go to industrial O2 and get a mask .. which I hope doesn't require a prescription.

As for preventive care from the VA .. I have none .. just the Fioricet and as I mentioned, I got a 2-year break recently .. so the condition is not 'active' in my VA medical records.
It seems my best strategy is to not bother with VA if Fioricet starts to fail . and will just go to O2 'on my own'.
Thank you again for the warm welcome and advice.

IP Logged

WacoJohn
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 6:22pm

OH, . I figure what helps is the caffiene in the Fioricet .. which would also explain how energy drinks help.  Problem for me with energy drinks is that since they 'hit' during sleep . in the middle of the night, an energy drink would keep me awake (surprised the Fioricet doesn't) .. so I am hesitant to try energy drinks.

IP Logged

Skull Buster
CH.com Junior

WARNING: Easily amused

birmingham AL
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 7:58pm

hey john, welcome to the forum man. I see you might have to get o2 on your own. Thats what I had to do. I bought an "M" tank, and just today bought 2 used "E" tanks off  e-bay. Now I can return dads tanks. I built a "refiller" to refill my 'E" tanks at home off the large M tank. Works like a champ. The refiller is a simple hydrolic hose(4000 psi) and some threaded brass fittings. Hope that helps.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 8:18pm

Hey John,

If it were me, if it was looking like a 50/50 chance of the current treatment would stop working, and if there was any way to finance the industrial O2 with hi flow regulator and non rebreather mask (none of those require prescription), I would jump on it now, get the O2 up and running, and be all ready to counterattack the CH beast big time if need be.

Keep in mind that an appropriate mask and regulator will likely have to be ordered online, and there will be a certain amount of time that will have to be spent waiting for those shipments to arrive.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

WacoJohn
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 9:03pm

Bejeeb, .. you make an excellent point .. better to have it BEFORE I need it than not have it when I do.

I will start 'on it' right away.  Thank you.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 9:23pm

Hate to pile more stuff in your wagon on your first day here......but!!!!

You mentioned night time attacks. An over the counter supplement, Melatonin, can be found in health food and vitamin stores. Start with 6 mg just before you go to bed. Go up in 3 mg increments. For many it will stop/reduce the night time terrors, the "wake up attacks." It doesn't work for everyone, but it's dirt cheap and worth a shot.

Also, consider adding a daily supplement of Magnesium, and Calcium with Vitamin D. It affects your arterial PH balance.....am not competent to explain it any further...but it makes you less succeptible to CH attacks. Again, it's a cheap tool that has helped many.

I'll stop now! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

WacoJohn
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:09pm

Thank you all for all the tips and support.  You people are mavelous in so many ways.

I can refer back to the thread as I 'gather my forces' .. and hopefully I can avoid some suffering.

Just want to say thank you all .. and I am listening to all the great advice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!