Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will try red-bull and excercising (Read 6211 times)
RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Belgium ~ Oost-Vlaanderen
Will try red-bull and excercising
Jun 11th, 2010 at 8:26am

Okey,

Some of you who have read my posts know that after my last cycle about 3 weeks ago, things have been going with ups and downs.

I haven't figured out if it's due to CH or topamax yet. But due to what I learned here at CH.com and the wonderful advice and shared experiences and insight of some of you, I sent a document to my doctor with info about verapamil and o2.
She discussed this with a collegue so I can visit her next Tuesday to talk about a verapamil approach and the use of O2 as an abortive.
This is meant as an in-between-step before going to my neuro.

Anyways, in the meanwhile things are still going with ups and downs. Some days I feel like I can take on the world, others I'm extremely exhausted, have trouble concentrating and feel extremely well some tingle in the back of my head.

So, I will buy some packs of red-bull tomorrow and start drinking 1 each day. Maybe that'll help. I don't really know when to drink it though? Right after lunch?

I will also start running again. I have the shoes and clothing as I used to run a couple of years ago. Maybe that'll get back my energy. I know that way back when I was a regular runner, running actually gave me energy.

I don't know what this will do, but if I should notice any impact I will let you know. I am looking forward to trying this.

Have a great wonderful weekend you all. I hope the beast stays away!
Cheers.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010 at 8:30am by RuVa »  

Love wasn't meant in the heart to stay, for love isn't love until you give it away.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Re: Will try red-bull and excercising
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 9:00am

Hi Ruva

About energy drinks don't set a schedule as right after lunch or a certain hour of the day.it's useless.
Store them in your fridge and whenever you feel shadows or an incoming attack drink one.
pf wishes and a great weekend too

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 9:20am

Hi Ruva,

As Black said an energy drink will only help if consumed very quickly at the onset of an attack.  They are very effective for me in most instances. 

I wanted to add that SOME people find exercise acts as a trigger.  While in cycle, if I even take a brisk walk  I will get hit within ten minutes after stopping.  Others find that exercising while having an attack can abort it. 

Pain free wishes to you,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 10:13am

You can purchase taurine tabs but I don't know anyone who has tried them as a preventative. I tend to habituate rather rapidly to anything I'm taking and it loses its effectiveness, so when I find an abortive that works (like energy drinks with taurine and caffeine) I don't want to risk "getting used to it." Curious about the prophylactic effect of daily taurine, though.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 12:12pm

wimsey1 wrote on Jun 11th, 2010 at 10:13am:
You can purchase taurine tabs but I don't know anyone who has tried them as a preventative.

There is one regular here (an Aussie bloke) who has used taurine as a preventative, and he reported fairly good results, as I recall it.

Definitely a  lot cheaper - a kilo of bulk taurine is around $30, which is 1000 x 1 gram doses at 3 cents a piece.  For about a year I was taking 1 to 3 grams of taurine daily in my coffee ... I was in remission, but using it for blood pressure/anxiety issues.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 12:38pm

Monty - Did you find that it upset your stomach at all? I have a bottle of 500mg tabs and was told at the nutrition store that I should take it with something to eat.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 1:08pm

Heya all, thanks for the replies Smiley

@black, thx, I'll make sure to drink whenever I feel the need.
At the moment I don't have attacks, but weird feelings in the head. Don't know if that qualifies as shadows but want to give it a try.

@Jeannie, at the moment I'm not in a cycle. During a cycle I also want to avoid as much physical effort as possible. But since it's been a while and I've been feeling exhausted and a bit dull (as if I'm without energy to do anything) since my last cycle, I figured I should try to exercice.
I AM a bit affraid about using it quickly at the start of an attack as I've also read that it can enhance an attack if you don't drink it fast enough.
So well, I'll see if anything happens no. If nothing bad happens then well, that's at least that Smiley

@wimsey1, I'm still new to this taurine thing so I don't know if I should buy tabs already. Makes me wonder, is taurine something one can get addicted to? But, I will discuss this with my doctor. I don't know, maybe I'm too defensive about all this and maybe I should go more on the offensive.
It's just... the last thing I want to do is make things even worse :p

Thanks again all.
I'll be back after the weekend.
Cheers all of you!

Love wasn't meant in the heart to stay, for love isn't love until you give it away.

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 4:43am

Okey, some things I have experienced this weekend:

Been out walking all Saturday. Didn't make me feel good. A lot of intense tingling in the head.
Tried red-bull and I don't know if it was because of the short breaks or the red-bull but it seemed to have helped.

So... is it red-bull that helps or not?
I don't know yet BUT as I experience these tingles almost daily I'll keep up drinking red-bull when I need to and will observe what happens.

Didn't manage to run...
3/4th day walking was way too much on Saturday but I was happy I did it. It's been a while since I've been that active. Great to have been out with my wife, even though it was exhausting. Sunday morning I went out for another walk.

It became clear that I shouldn't go running yet BUT I want to keep up the activity. Somehow it must improve, I need my energy back and the capability to overcome this.

So I'll try and see what happens. Maybe over the course of the upcoming days with courage and willpower who knows things might improve anyways.

Extra question about red-bull
I've noticed they sell red-bull energy shots as well.
They come in a box. the box contains small bottles or packages. It doesn't say how much taurine or cafeine is in there. Anyone here with experience taking the energy shots instead of the drinks?
I figure it gives a bigger boost and can therefore be more effective?

Cheers

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 7:59am

Unfortunately i can't tell you for sure if energy drinks works for sure.

what i do,is drink one quickly with a DHE pill(other times instead of an energy drink a strong coffee will do as well too) since this is my line of defense.
So i guess it's all about try and result.you have to work it out as to see if and how it suits you.
As for the energy shots all i can  say is that there are other brand names which are as good as red bull and maybe even better since red bull has just established
a well known around name through wide advertisement but is also the most expensive.
From a research in supermarkets here where i live a red bull costs 1,40 euros per each while the best i ve found till now is blue bear in price of 3,00 euros a six pack which is major difference.
Sorry for the advertisement just want to say that there are other options too.And since prices differ from country to country all you have to do is search what's the best for you in your local market.
As for the running it's seems easy but it's the most diffficult exercise.If you don't feel quiet fit yet may i suggest bicycle at least for the beginning.A lot more fun and easier to start improving fitness.If you have any forgotten somewhere time to take it back on streets. Smiley

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 9:37am

Heya black,

thanks for your reply! I googled a bit but probably due to my lack of knowledge I can't really find what a DHE pill is.

There are other brands here too. It's pretty expensive to buy red-bull or other energy drinks in normal supermarkets. We have a special market where only some people are entitle to get an entry pass for. It only sells in bulk but also a lot cheaper. I got some red-bull there so it was pretty ok priced.
Anyhow, I'll keep on checking for something more convenient later. I just wanted to have some to try now.

I wonder if red bull has the exact values of the ingredients for shots vs drinks posted on their site... I checked but I can only find it has taurin/cafeine in the shots, not how much... for the shots I found in the store, I couldn't read on the package Sad

Yeah, biking is a good tip. My condition is not too bad though, it's the mood and the general feeling (tingle/buzzing in the head, since my last cycle, lack of concentration, etc...) But biking is indeed something that can crank up the initial results while still not forcing myself!

Great tip, wonder why I didn't think of that!!  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2010 at 9:40am by RuVa »  

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 11:22am

Hi there, RuVa!

I do hope that it's the Red Bull, which helps you out. I can tell from my own experience that energy drinks have made all the difference for me. The brand doesn't really matter, the amount of caffeine and taurine matters.

What comes to me, also caffeine tablets (the ones sold in here have 100mg of caffeine in one tab) help and during the last two cycles, also guarana tablets (500mg guarana per tablet) helped.

Naturally, I cannot promise that those will help you as well, but they're worth considering, if energy drinks work. Only you can tell yourself what helps and works best for you. Smiley

Wishing you a short cycle and lots of Pf time,

Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

deb424
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tampa Bay
Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 3:17pm

I use the shots, they are smaller. I don't like the taste so they are easier to drink. In the sugar free there is 80 mg. of Caffeine and 1g. of Taurine. You should be able to get any other info from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register you would like about there produces. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 3:29am

Thanks for that link deb424, somehow I found more info on the usa link than on the belgian website for the redbull shots.

It's day 4 of redbull now, been drinking 1 redbull every day now at teh time I thought my head started to tingle/feel fuzzy.
It seems to have some effect but I'm cautious as to agreeing that it's redbull and not coincidence.
I'm still just trying this out but it looks to be heading in the right direction.

For those among you who drink energy drinks regularly...
I'm wondering if this is all very healthy though?...
Can I drink more than 1 energy drink a day? I mean... what if this feeling lasts for about 3 weeks more and I need to drink at least 1 a day? What if 1 a day doesn't seem to cover it and some days I feel I could use 2 (at least until this is over)... Is that actually recommended?

I'm trying this out because I really want to find out if it helps. If so I'd be very happy but I don't want to actually be doing unhealthy things here... My wife has a collegue who drinks a lot of redbull for fun. She has done so for a long time and now she says she gets headaches when she's off redbull because she feels addicted to it.
I guess it's the same when you're a heavy coffee drinker due to the cafeine... but even though I drink 2-4 cups of coffee daily, I have no problem quitting coffee for weeks as I sometimes do.

Well, if some if you could share some insight and experience it would make me more comfortable  Wink

Thanks again all, and sorry for being such a pain  Tongue
Cheers

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:05am

I think their recommendation is not to drink more than three per day. Also, if you're taking verapamil, you should drink as little as you can get away with as the combination of taurine and verapamil can mess with your heart rhythms.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 8:04am

Brew wrote on Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:05am:
I think their recommendation is not to drink more than three per day. Also, if you're taking verapamil, you should drink as little as you can get away with as the combination of taurine and verapamil can mess with your heart rhythms.

Oh!! Thanks for that tip. I have an appointment tonight with my doctor about taking verapamil so your timing with this tip is great!.

I'll let my wife know too, my memory has been pretty sluggish lately! Thanks Brew!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 4:53pm

The 250mL bottle of Red Bull I've got here says no more than two per day. However this is one that has been made in Austria and imported to New Zealand by the Australian importer, so it's possible that elsewhere in the world they have different recommendations.

IP Logged

lennycohen
CH.com Junior

Clemmons, NC
Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:37pm

I've been using the Monster Hitman series - the blue one is sugar free, 2g of taurine - I also spike it with an orange flavored Goody's powder, 325mg tylenol, 500mg aspirin and 65mg of caffeine extra - for me, sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but worth a try

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:54am

Well, back with an update on the 2 subjects.

- I have been working out.
Been going out for a run but only on days I didn't feel any buzzes in the head. My condition nowadays isn't what it used to be and it's been a couple of years since I ran on a daily base, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.
I took it slowly, ran at a calm pace and made sure to control my breathing.
I must say I was very happy with the result.

I've always felt that running gave me more energy in the long run. And due to the effect of a CH cycle combined with the side efects of the meds, I was in desperate need of feeling energized again.
Given, running was exhausting but after a couple of runs I'm starting to feel remarkably better. I'm less tired in the evenings, feel generaly happier and even though I still feel the buzzing thing in my head I think it is diminishing (although I don't know if it's related).

Either way, running is something I've always liked doing and this time I wanted to start it again to lift myself back up to a point where I could feel at least some improvement in general well-being. And that seemed to have worked. I'll keep this going!

(it could be mental, you know... me getting a hold back on my life and that giving me an extra lift to overcome the tiny left overs from the last cycle. I don't know but either way it seems to have a positive effect.)

- red bull: All I can say is that my doctor disapproved on it as she believes it is unhealthy. I started drinking it a little while ago and only on days I've felt tingles in my head. Coincidence or not but it is my opinion that it does bring me temporary relief from tingles and buzzes in the head after drinking one.
So I'll continue to do this for a little while longer, along with the excercise until I feel completely wonderful again!

Cheers all and thanks for sharing your advice and knowledge with me!
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:56am by RuVa »  

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:43am

Back with a more specific update after having some time on my hands again.

energy drinks do have a temporary positive effect on me. Sometimes even aborts the shadows (if that's a correct way of describing my feelings)
Whenever my head gets a buzzing feeling or that ice/fire pick feeling through my head, igniting a mood swing in the process, I immediately drink a red bull.
(not that red bull undoes the mood swing, I don't even drink a red bull every other day so that can't be it :p)

I don't know what exactly triggers that buzzy feeling in my head or that fire pick feeling.  Sometimes I get that feeling after having gone grocery shopping after getting home from work.

I have also noticed that taking a warm shower is not good. I should wash my hair with a lower temperature than I wash the rest of my body. For some reason, warm water on my head seems to induce the fire pick feeling in my head.

During those moments when I have that buzzy feeling I get pretty annoyed, but when the firepick busts in I just want to be left alone. It doesn't hurt or so it's just really annoying. Well anyways, drinking a rb helps, gets that annoying feeling out of me, helps me relax and that's good.

Some other good news is that I've been getting better and better. The aftermath of my last cycle was the worst of my 4 cycles so far. It's taken a while but now the buzzes are far less tense and far less common. Just the fire pick is very annoying but it doesn't kick in too often.
It feels I'm getting my rhythm back, my vigor, my vitality.
I'm not just happy again but more than happy and that's been a while Smiley

the energy drink tip I received from some of you certainly helped a lot so I am tremendously grateful!
It probably didn't solve anything, but at the least it softened some symptoms at peak moments, making things much more endurable and far less exhausting!
I was sceptic at first, but I tried it and somehow it has a great effect!

So from the bottom of my heart, thanks all!
Cheers,
Ruben

Oh, btw...
haven't been running for a while...
At 9pm it's still 28+ degrees Celcius and very moist here lately so... but the first runs were ok so I plan on picking up when it cools down a bit.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:45am by RuVa »  

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:33am

Ruben,

I'm thrilled to hear that energy drinks have helped. Smiley

Btw, I've also avoided warm water near my head - during my worst cycle I washed my hair in cold water.

PF days,
Sanna

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:50am

RuVa wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:54am:
I have been working out.

I'm starting to feel remarkably better

it is diminishing (although I don't know if it's related).

Questionably related also, for many years I had a sedentary job during a term of many years that progressed to chronic.  Worst when actually becoming unemployed, mixing in a mental turmoil. 

With a much more strenuously active job almost the last three years since, a very short sparing happened last fall, then fell back to the usual.  But in February this year there was a total disappearance lasting until July 1st recently, the longest ever. 

Whatever contribution this lifestyle change may have had, I have the feeling of a very fortunate return to episodic after over six years chronic. 

While this single circumstance not may not be the alone factor, there has also been a more experienced use of verapamil in many years along the way, trying to gamble artfully with its most conservative use.  Presently so far it's assuredly needed again, but this 240mg/day dose is by far the surprisingly lowest used of yet to maintain.  Of course a change developing to more familiar CH will be no surprise.

Your improvement over a shorter term may lead me to be aware these circumstances are not so similar with the considerable component of a cycle's length. Activity stepped-up affects each different, but I've no explanation of being pf awhile and then managed again by such light aid so far.

Continued good progress to you.     Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:16am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Dana
CH.com Alumnus

The beast hater

Jacksonville, FL
Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:21am

Hi Ruva,
I,ve used the Red Bull trick also but it worked best for me at room temp. I noticed if I tried to drink them fast cold it only gave me brain freeze and did'nt stop the beast from coming. I also take either ibuprofen (excedrin IB) or Acetaminophen (excedrin migraine) along with the energy drink (three tablets chewed) I change up between the two tablets because after about a week or so the headaches seem to become immune. Hope this helps.

Dana

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:52pm

Hey everyone.  Some more caffeine thoughts.  I drink a coca cola every morning at 9am while in my cycle.  My attacks usually start around then and I drink 12-20 ounces before it starts.  That delays my attack until the afternoon.  Around 1pm or so, I either have some more caffeine drink or a no-doz/vivarin caffeine tablet, 200mg.  This has worked.  I don't feel I need the taurine, but if I get into a bad cycle again I will try it out.

Now I use the psilocybes and only need limited caffeine to handle shadows as I bust the entire cycle.

Dana, Ibuprofen and acetomenaphen are not usually known to help us.  It has been my experience that it is the caffeine in the excedrin that is the pain relief and the other stuff just ruins our stomachs.  That is the common thought here usually so be careful with those drugs.  We are all a bit different so maybe they work for you.  If you are sure those 2 drugs work then separate them by buying them seperately and see if it still works.  My bet is on the caffeine since you are taking redbull plus excedrin.  3 tablets = 200mg caffeine. 

Good luck everyone! Wink

--Shaggy Smiley

IP Logged

Dana
CH.com Alumnus

The beast hater

Jacksonville, FL
Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:47pm

Thanks shaggy, the ibuprophen and acetomenophren don't do much at all, but because I work two jobs both are safety sensitive. These are about the only two things I can have while working anything else and the company doc will ground me.

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #24 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:39pm

Hello Everyone:

"5 hour Energy" is what I'm trying!

Tried it once or twice and didn't get the nightly visit. I haven't
tried 2 days back to back so we will see.

No visit since 3am on 15th  Drank 1- 5 hr energy
and 1 5 hr today will see if I get a visit tonight!

Normally even on 150mg Topomax and 600 of verap I was
having 2 CH's a day
will pop in tomorrow to let you know if the beast rattles
my cage  tonight!

Cheaper then imitrex and less taxing if by chance it may
work 2 days in a row!  Who TF knows, anyone?

And I slept like a baby, first time in a month and a half.
uuummmmm........  Maybe tonight too!.

Peace,

Boski

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!