Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old to clusters, new to diagnosis (Read 1601 times)
bcsanders
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Old to clusters, new to diagnosis
Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:07pm

Hello, this is my first post.  Glad to see so many people helping out here.  I have had cluster headaches since 1986, my sophomore year in college.  I always suffered from sinus infections and with the teary eye and the runny nose I just thought they were sinus related.  My doctor did not diagnose me until 2006. (Allergists gave me nasal sprays, doctors gave me decongentents, of course it did not work). Seems like a long time for a diagnosis, but my cluster's don't seem to be as severe (timewise) as some of the posts I see here.  By the time my dr. diagnosed me in 2006 my clusters had gone away so I did not really research anything and the diagnosis was so new.  Every four years for about 1 month I get them.    My month is just about up now and the headaches have gotten less and less severe in the past three days.  Today was almost pain free so I am thinking I am coming out of this cluster.  I know the pain of these things, I am ready to jump out of my skin after a month so I can sympathize with anyone who has these chronically or multiple times a year.    I have never tried anything more than Imitrex and it did help.  I always get my headaches in the morning, about 7:15 am.  The Imitrex helps but then the clusters came in the middle of the night and the night headaches, as some of you know, are worse then the day time.  I am hoping I won't need any advice now, because I am still new to the treatments, but I am definately going to stay tuned in so I can see my doctor immediately when the clusters come back. (hopefully not for another 4 years).  I am so grateful for reading this site knowing that there are meds and other therapies to help with the pain and for no longer thinking that this was just a bad sinus attack every four years.

Hope everyone reading this gets the relief they need.

Brett C.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: Old to clusters, new to diagnosis
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 11:09pm

Hey Brett,

Welcome, and here's to you being able to abort 100% of your attacks if you get hit again 4 years from now (not an unattainable goal for a case like yours, as long as you have your arsenal all prepped, and contingency plans in place).

Heck, 4 years from now we should all finally have hover cars, jet packs and electronic instant cluster killer buttons to push.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010 at 2:52am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 11:57pm

Hi Brett,

Glad to hear your cycle is almost over, keep in touch with the site as new information on our condition is always coming in.

David.

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

bcsanders
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:41am

Thanks All,

Definately keeping in touch in or out of cycle.  Seems to be alot of nice people sharing an (unfortunately painful) common affliction.  When these headaches hit you need as much support as possible.  No fair weather friends here.

Thanks.

Brett C.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 9:34am

Welcome to the board Bret, glad you found us. You'll find knowledge is your best ally. Whether it's a new prevent to try, a new way to use the oxygen, another quick tip like the energy drinks...there's always new stuff people are bringing to the board.

Wishing you a lifetime remission. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bcsanders
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 11:51am

Thanks to all.  Last couple of days the pain has been about a 1 or maybe a 2 on the Kip scale and only lasts about 20 minutes at a time, so I have been dealing.  Hoping they are on their way out.

I might try some red bull, which I have never had before, to try to take the edge off of the 2's. 

Regards,

Brett C.

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 12:02pm

Brett,

I have found the Red Bulls and also for me coffee helpful with shadows and low level attacks, I still go for the 02 however on anything approaching a 2 or more.

David

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 1:14pm

bcsanders wrote on Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:41am:
No fair weather friends here.   

Hmmm....maybe the regular responders here oughta form a gang called the Foul Weather FriendsGrin

Matching jackets and caps would be nice. We could wear them while at the computer.  Cool

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

bcsanders
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Jacket sounds cool, or even a t-shirt would do.  Always looking for t-shirts. 

Brett C.

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 7:01pm

I have too many caps according to my bride, but put me down for a jacket.

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!