Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Extreme Pain in neck (Read 1183 times)
bustedfor30
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Extreme Pain in neck
May 25th, 2010 at 1:17pm

I was recently told that CH do not cause extreme pain in the neck of CH sufferers. I beg to differ and was wondering if I am alone on this or if others have had this symptom as well. When I get my CH I have so much pain at the base on my skull and in my neck that I have asked the doctor for muscle relaxers just to relieve the tension. I have seen the chiropractor on many occasions just to loosen up the muscles to try to reduce the pain, sometimes it helps and other times it seems as though it gets worse. It seems as though if the pain in my neck would subside that the headache its self would be greatly reduced.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Extreme Pain in neck
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010 at 2:14pm

No, you're not alone in this.  I get it too.

The "neck thing" is a relatively common side-effect of CH.  Swollen nerve ganglia and associated tissues, on the same side as your headaches, along the cervical vertabrae or the base of the skull.  They seem to be most painful and most pronounced during an attack. 

You may notice a lump as well.  For lack of a better term, we call them "cluster lumps".  Some folks get them on the side of the face or the roof of the mouth. 

Not everyone gets this side-effect, but it's common enough that we've had a number of threads about them over the years.  To take a look at them, try using the search function at the top of the page, keyword "cluster lumps" in quotes.

By most accounts, chiropractic doesn't seem to help it.  I can tell you first-hand that getting a deep-tissue massage to try to alleviate the neck pain associated with CH is a really, really bad idea.  It makes it much worse.   Tongue

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010 at 3:27pm

I get the 'cluster lump' in my neck.  Mostly it subsides after an attack, sometimes, after a rough night (like today), neck soreness will persist through the day.  I explain that and other associated symptoms to people as a 'headache hangover.'

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2010 at 3:56pm

I too get discomfort in my neck and trap's. I also was recently diagnosed with "hermicrania continua" which my cluster cycle turned into a couple of months ago. Undecided These headaches are considered "chronic migraine/cluster mix" with this syndrome I notice even more of the uncomfort in my neck crawling up the side to temple(right side cluster side) I have gotten adjusted by a chiro and no real help.I also got a deep tissue massage and I agree it made me more uncomfortable Undecided
hope we all find some relief!
Anthony

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2010 at 4:26pm

Just an additional note...

I tried "cluster lumps" with the search function, and only got one hit.  Try "cluster lump" to get several more hits on the search.  The threads are well worth reading.

I should mention, also, that the thing that seems to work best is ice applied to the affected area.  Try to remove the the ice gradually, however, finishing with a wet cloth.  Removing the ice all at once can result in a nasty rebound.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2010 at 7:29pm

"Cluster bump" will also yield heaps. Mine can make me feel like a resident of Notre Dame but doesn't show up quite that big in the mirror.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2010 at 10:46pm

Cluster Hump.

There's an interesting visual.   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!