Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Night time attack prevention (Read 12586 times)
jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Re: Night time attack prevention
Reply #50 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 7:29am

CHwife,  Is your husband still PF?  I just had another one this morning.  It was a pretty bad one... but I still feel like they are on their way out.  The intensity seems to be lowering and the frequency is definitely dropping off.  Take care,

Josh

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #51 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:01pm

Josh, His last full headache was Monday night, but it was an odd time of day for it.  Before that, he had 3 pf days, and today, he had a shadow, but it didn't go into a full headache, and he didn't use anything to abort it because it just stayed shadowy.  So, 3pf days, 1 CH, 3pf days, shadow today.  He's sure they're on their way out, compared with 3-4 per day he was getting about two weeks ago.  You get so sick of them, you are almost afraid to believe they're leaving, because the alternative would break your heart.  He's still sleeping with a low flow oxygen (that seems to keep them at bay during the night) and taking Immediate Release Verapamil.  He'll keep that up for a week after his last CH, and then he'll start to taper the dosage.  Spring is changing to summer, and they'll be gone soon.
Lynn
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:03pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #52 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:28pm

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. . .  Two CH's on Sunday.  Nothing today.  The only thing different was he backed off his Verapamil dosage on Saturday.  I know, it was probably too soon.  He upped the dosage again after the two CH's on Sunday.  Insidious.  I admit, I was lured into thinking they were gone.  I'm bummed for him.  This is the longest bout he's had with them, but it's also been the least painful because we have been treating them aggressively with 02 and Imitrex and Verapamil.  This time, we aren't arguing with the insurance companies, so really, that part is like a day at the beach (did I mention that during his last cycle a couple of years ago, he was sitting in the parking lot of the drug store after being denied Imitrex by our insurance company, and we couldn't afford even one more shot, and he got a CH.  It was a K10, and he actually bent the steering wheel in our van?  Normally, this man is as gentle as they come.  He was stuck in the van, because he couldn't drive and he couldn't walk around the parking lot holding his head and pacing, for fear of being picked up by the local authorities).  I'm trying not to be bummed, but I'm feeling sad.  Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:35pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #53 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:44pm

chwife wrote on Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:28pm:
It was a K10, and he actually bent the steering wheel in our van?  Normally, this man is as gentle as they come.  He was stuck in the van, because he couldn't drive and he couldn't walk around the parking lot holding his head and pacing, for fear of being picked up by the local authorities).

Boy, does that story ever ring bells.  Not exactly the same, of course, but there have been times...   Sad 

After several years here, it's still a daily astonishment to me that there are others who truly know what happens to us, and what we do to get through them.

Quote:
Thanks for listening.

Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us here, and thank you for supporting our brother clusterhead.

Best wishes,

George 

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #54 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:08am

Nothing like a good support person.  My wife just handed me the ice pack she fillled for me as I am stuck to the 02 tank for my morning hit.  Couldnt go this alone

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #55 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 1:06am

So Birdman......tell us "did you bust?"  How are you?  Always on my mind!!!! 

Sending  you pain free wishes!

Thanking the Airline Industry for my borrowed quote
"Put your Oxygen mask on first, then assist others"
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?ref  
IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #56 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 8:18am

Busting tonight.  Got home too late and ended up having a terrible night.  Up every two hours.  Hoping tonights bust gets me some much needed relief.  Starting to lose my sanity, it's amazing what interrupted sleep can do to your mind.

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #57 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 10:47am

CHWife,

I hope re-upping the verapamil works, I hear you on the thinking the worst is over. My wife won't even comment when she notices I didn't go to the basement to hit my tank that night, she is afraid of jinxing it. I believe we are a pretty optimistic group and when we get a few PFDs we start to get ahead of our selves, at least I know I do. Good Luck and hoping again for PFDs for your husband.

David

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #58 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 8:21pm

One last night, he woke with it around 4AM.  This is one of only a handful of nighttime headaches since Easter, and he had a shadow this morning around 10. Wait, make that a CH at 10 . . .I just found the empty Imitrex container. 
@ George -- I cried when I read your post.  I can't even tell you why.  I guess it's just knowing there's someone out there who has gone through the same type of pain and cares enough to write a few words of encouragement -- it means so much.  I was feeling pretty hopeless and your words helped.  Thank you. 
@ David -- I know what your wife is going through when she is afraid to jinx it, and I feel like I know first hand why ancient cultures have superstitions. . .if I stood on my head and his headaches stopped, I'd try it the very next time and if it worked, I'd swear by it the third time around.  None of us, sufferers or family of sufferers asked for this and it's such a desperate place to be . . . a place where there is little control.  But you all have given me hope and that has made all the difference.
@Birdman -- (ditto 1961Mom)I hope you are finding relief. 
@Josh -- How are you making out?  Are they going away?

@ everyone -- Hope you find PF days SOON!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2010 at 8:23pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

jlk5269
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #59 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 9:55pm

I know what you mean when you said about being self employed and not able to work the next day very well. Jeremy

jmac wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:09am:
Man this is so scary guys. Isn't it?  I feel like you are all telling my story:  "afraid to go to sleep" "Kip 3 to 4 all night randomly"  "always get one 3-5 min after waking"  Night time is the worst.  Hang in there everyone!  Its hard not to get depressed.  Yesterday I had one that started when I woke up and lasted 3 whole hours.  I didn't even go into work I was so exhausted and frustrated after that ordeal (and I am self employed so that means no money!)  But last night... not one shadow and no headache upon waking.  I have been taking 10 mg melatonin for about 1 week now.  Can't tell if it is working cuz I have been getting hits every other night.  One thing I was doing was taking excedrin PM (2 tablets) and the melatonin. That REALLY helped me sleep.  One night I was getting strong shadows and Kip 3-4's, but the excedrin just kept making me pass out.  But the end result was a massive kip 9-10 upon waking... guess it was just building all night.  Hang in there everyone.  I know relief is coming.  It really is depressing when you are only getting 3 hours at a time.  I just went through that for 2 straight weeks.  Finally I have had (2) pf nights this week.

IP Logged

jlk5269
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #60 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 10:30pm

Wow I didn't know that many CH sufferers Have sleep apnea. I have SA but am unable to afforf treatment. Maybe I should sleep on o2 Jeremy

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #61 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 5:45pm

Jeremy,
My husband is the only one I have heard of that does this. . .he sleeps with low level oxygen all night.  The result has been like night and day.  Earlier cycles have woken him up to the point where the sleep deprivation was making his (and consequently, my) life a living hell.  He talked to our GP and she put him on low level oxygen all night long.  With the exception of a hand full of headaches since Easter, it has worked.  I think a trigger for him is sleep apnea, or low oxygen levels in the blood, but he has not been tested for SA yet.  During this cycle, he is so happy that he gets sleep, he hasn't gone back to the doctor.  The machine he uses at night is an oxygen concentrator that delivers 5-7L/min of oxygen.  This is not enough to abort a headache once it starts, but when he breathes it continuously as he lies in bed, it seems to stop them from coming at night.  It worked the very first time he tried it, so if you are low on funds, ask if you could rent one for a few nights to see if it works, if it doesn't work, send it back right away and try something else. . . there are plenty of ideas here and it seems that nothing works across the board for everyone.
You could give it a shot.  Good luck & I hope to hear about what you decide to try.
Lynn

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #62 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:55pm

This is so encouraging to read that something is working this well.  Does he have any troubles keeping the mask on through the night, or yanking the tubes, etc.  I am a toss and turner girl!  Just trying to imagine this as an option.

Thanking the Airline Industry for my borrowed quote
"Put your Oxygen mask on first, then assist others"
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?ref  
IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #63 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 8:30pm

Actually, he doesn't use a mask at night (only during the day when he uses the higher flow oxygen for aborting) , just the tube that goes around the head and two prongs that go into the nostrils, and yes, he tosses & turns. . .so about twice a night (I'm a very light sleeper), I reach over and make sure he's still got it wrapped around his head.  He's also changed his sleeping position.  He LOVES to sleep on his stomach, but he has made a point of sleeping on his back and side instead.  That's another thing I check him for if I wake up.  I read somewhere that some people who sleep on their stomach actually cut the flow of oxygen by breathing into their pillow.  At least two times recently, he woke up with a headache after he had pulled the tubes out of his nose.  He's such a deep sleeper, he doesn't wake up until he's well into the CH, so the pain is usually intense and hard to abort by then.  You know the drill.  But we are both so thrilled that he can get some uninterrupted sleep most nights.  I think the sleep deprivation causes an extreme exhaustion that leads to suicidal thoughts. Add pain to the sleep deprivation and you really have a scary situation on your hands.  Beating that sleep issue has made this cycle almost manageable. 
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:14pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #64 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 5:59am

Chwife - how is your husband doing?  I hope its all over for him.  I haven't had one since my last post.  We went away on vacation so I haven't been around.  I really hope it is gone for him.  Hope you are doing ok as well.  Thanks for all the info about apnea and support.  Guess I'll be back on here next spring...

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #65 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 2:19pm

Hi Josh,
Thanks for asking.  I'm so happy to hear that you are done with this!  I hope we don't see you next spring!  I hope you are done forever.  We went on vacation as well, and he backed off of the Verapamil because he thought they were gone, and he wanted to have energy -- it's VACATION!!! Well, he started getting one a day again.  He was also away from his oxygen, and I'm not sure if it was the reduction in meds or the reduction in oxygen, or both, but he relapsed during our vacation.  Since June 30th, since we got back, he's upped his verapamil again and hasn't had a hit.  He's very touchy and has a short fuse - I just want my other husband back!  Hopefully, soon.

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #66 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 10:54pm

CH Wife,

I understand how he feels, I have gone into" remission" before, given back my 02, got rid of my meds etc, only to start getting attacked a month later only on the other side of my face. I was very pissed off at the world after that for a while but I eventually started fighting back again and I went back to being the wonderful pleasant guy I am (okay that last part is little strong). But seriously I did go back to being my old self once I got over being mad about it being back so soon. I hope he fights back with a positive attitude and you get your husband back.

David

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #67 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 10:21am

It looks like I have my husband back.  I just thought I'd check in to see how you all are doing.  He's weaned himself off of the Verapamil and we've returned the Oxygen.  Next time, we are going to start right away with high level Oxygen therapy.  He used an awful lot of drugs this time and lost 10 pounds.  He is about 5'11" and only weighs 150 to begin with. . .We didn't try high level (25L/min) this time, but I'm going to suggest we do it next time.  Oxygen therapy seems to be the best approach for him at this point.  This was the longest cycle he's ever had, and he started the cycle by addressing the attacks with Relpax and ended the cycle addressing the attacks with Imitrex.  The pain factor was the lowest this time because he addressed all but one headache with meds, and the sleep interruption was almost non-existent -- he was on low level oxygen all night everynight, and I know that this treatment is not believed to help anyone, but we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it helped him with night attacks.  He woke in the middle of the night only a handfull of times this cycle.  That has never happened in his life, and the only difference this time has been that he was on low level oxygen everynight.  I don't know what to make of it all. . .I guess none of us do.  When you experiment as much as we have, and find something that appears to work, you go with it.  Perhaps oxygen deprivation was one of his "triggers" and maybe he has sleep apnea.  These are things we still need to investigate.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #68 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 10:30am

There's still SOO much we just don't know about CH! Congrats on the pain free time and getting hubby back. May your remission last a lifetime!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #69 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 6:30pm

So, I have been thinking alarm clock too! Has anyone tried?
Success?

Share?

Peace,

Boski     Cheesy

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #70 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:39pm

boski wrote on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 6:30pm:
So, I have been thinking alarm clock too! Has anyone tried?
Success?

Share?

Peace,

Boski     Cheesy

Not being mean here but...here are my thoughts on that...

I've lost enough sleep from CH itself, why would I want to loose more by setting my damned alarm to wake me up (before ch hit) to avoid a ch hit?   I'd rather take an allergy pill or melatonin (if you can take it) and avoid the wake up from CH or alarm clock.    Cheesy   

Interesting idea for someone else to test if they wish though.  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:40pm by JustNotRight »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #71 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 11:15pm

Thank you, Joe, and I hope the same for you and eveyone else who posts here.

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #72 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:56am

Not mean!

But, those options aren't workin for me!  I am getting no
sleep at all!  Brain thinks it can out smart it self but dam,
fat chance that's going to happen!  Reason I was thinking
clock was to catch the dam thing early!  Earlier the faster
the relief, starting to see my thinking.  I wake from pain but
do to no sleep, sleep so darn heavy don't feel it till its a
ripper, then I scare everyone around me, with my
screaming dance at whatever ungodly hour it may be.  I'm
waiting for the cops to be knocking on my door one night
asking all kinds of questions.  So, no I'm not trying to
sleep less but really more if you think about it.  Alarm goes
I feel slight pain shoot and back to bed and sleep like baby.
Almost doesn't register.  If I go through a really painful one
that takes me 1/2+hr to get thru then that's
disruption! This was my train of thought on Dope-o max! remember.

Just string the pot.

Peace,
Boski
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:57am by boski »  

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #73 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:09am

jmac wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 3:50pm:
Thanks for the drug info.  I am trying not to go down that road for fear of side effects.

No, I get them at night sometimes like around 8.  And then if I am having a bad day I will get them throughout the day, strong shadows  but not a major hit.  But this year, the worst has been the middle of the night.  (worst pain level)

I completely understand,  I am the same way about drugs, but it is not physically good for you to have the clusters, either!!!  So, I take as little preventive drugs as possible as to not have the ill effects of cluster headaches.  They are debilitating over time!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #74 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:06am

Quote:
Reason I was thinking
clock was to catch the dam thing early!  Earlier the faster
the relief, starting to see my thinking.  I wake from pain but
do to no sleep, sleep so darn heavy don't feel it till its a
ripper, then I scare everyone around me, with my
screaming dance at whatever ungodly hour it may be.

I'm right there with you, Boski. I didn't use the alarm clock thingie, although I considered it for the same reasons you mention. I did, however, stay awake for my night cycle hits (11pm and 1am) to catch them early and abort quicker before they turned into a beast I couldn't catch. After the 1am hit, I was usually able to sleep for 6 hours or so. If I didn't stay awake, the sucker morphed into a monster KIP hit. So, I know what you're saying, and I've been there. Don't remember if you said, but have you tried melatonin-in the 9-18mg range? Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!