Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Night time attack prevention (Read 12622 times)
birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Re: Night time attack prevention
Reply #25 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 9:12am

Great news, I need all the positive stories to keep going!  Hope your pf for many more days to come!

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #26 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 9:12pm

I am afraid to post this, first, because I'm new to this board, and second, because I am the wife a cluster headache sufferer, not a sufferer myself.  But my husband has had classic cluster episodes every 2-4 years for the past 30 years.  He was finally diagnosed in the early 1990's by a wonderful doctor in Cleveland.  He takes Verapamil as a preventative, and Oxygen, 25lit/min, as an abortive.  He also uses Imitrex shots when he's away from his Oxygen.  But here is the thing that has worked at night, and he has only used it the last part of his cycle three years ago, and the entire cycle this time (since Good Friday).  But it has worked for him, and I want to know if there is anyone else out there who has tried it.  In addition to the high level Oxygen he uses to abort individual CH's, he breathes low level oxygen (5 liters/min) all night, every night, and this is what has changed for him:  he has only had four headaches during the night during this cycle (as opposed to every night, sometimes twice a night, in previous cycles), and in each of the four times, his oxygen tube fell out of his nose.  I mentioned this once before in a post on an OUCH board, and got some criticism, but I don't really care, if this tip helps even one person get a little more sleep, that would be a very good thing.  I may be new to this board, but my husband and I have been managing these headaches alone on and off for a very long time.  We've tried a LOT of things that we think work, but then, we find out they don't.  This is one thing that really has worked for him (Getting sleep at night helps him fight  depression & not being afraid to go to sleep helps him feel like he's got a sliver of control), and I just wanted to pass that along.  He still gets his share of CH's during the day. But during the day, he can feel the CH coming on, and he can jump on the high flow oxygen, or take a shot of Imitrex.  Since he is a very deep sleeper, his night time hits are harder to abort, since he can't catch them early enough. Well, gotta go.  Love to you all.  I feel for you.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2010 at 9:43pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #27 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 9:35pm

One of the best regimens I use during a heavy hitting high cycle when I really need a good nights sleep is to take a quarter of a 50mg imitrex tablet a half hour prior to bed time.  This has worked very reliably for me for over 5 years...

I'm a bit Scotch so use a pill splitter to half and quarter the 50mg imitrex tablet...  I've found that the ~12mg chunks work quite well as a preventative in getting me at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep without any of the tight chest side effect feeling you normally get with higher imitrex doses. 

It turns out that imitrex has a half-life of 2 hours (clearance rate of 50% in 2 hours) and this dosage provides a therapeutic blood serum level for 4 to 6 hours to get me through one or two regularly scheduled CH attacks that hit every two hours.

Loading up with 4 to 6 calcium citrate tablets with vitamin E, magnesium and zinc washed down with a big 8oz glass of home made lemonade prior bed time will also helps when my arterial pH is low. 

I test my saliva with pH strips when the frequency of my attacks go up.  I also keep a log of my saliva pH and measure it three times a day at the same time each day and so far, whenever the frequency of my CH attacks go up, my average saliva pH for that day is below my normal low cycle daily average.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

Reply #28 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 8:18am

Wow! Two great posts.  Low level  o2 though the night or a small dosage of imitrex tablets.  As I am currently not getting more then two hours sleep at a time, I am mentioning this to my pain mgmt doc who I see at 9:45 today

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #29 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 10:20pm

Birdman, Please keep us updated!  I hope you find a way to sleep.  I remember my husband going through sleepless periods. . .sometimes it gets really nasty, and all I have to say about that is, never give up.   Keep trying different treatments until something works for you.

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #30 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 12:12am

ch wife,  That is very interesting and makes me wonder if cluster headaches are related to sleep apnea.  My brother in law was diagnosed with sleep apnea and he sleeps with an oxygen mask on all night every night.  (he does not suffer from cluster headaches)  But my point is, I wonder if they are related in some way.  Perhaps we should all be sleeping with oxygen masks all night?  Not getting enough oxygen seems to be the problem

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #31 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 1:37am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

and many more......

Thanking the Airline Industry for my borrowed quote
"Put your Oxygen mask on first, then assist others"
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?ref  
IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #32 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:20am

Thanks 1961 for the links!  I can't believe that was written back in 2000.  My first one was in 02.  I didn't even know what it was then.  a scary time.  I know that even when not in cycle, i wake up alot during the night.  I suspect that i have some sort of apnea going on.  Time for a sleep study?  I am open to a mask all night like my bro in law!

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

Reply #33 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Very interesting stuff there.  I'll try anything at this point

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #34 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 8:22pm

The idea of getting my husband tested for sleep apnea never occurred to me because he is as thin as a rail (I shouldn't generalize, but most sleep apnea sufferers are overweight) and he doesn't snore (I do!).  But your post jogged my memory of a time when he had surgery.  His CH cycle was in remission, and he had not woken up yet from the operation.  I remember him lying in recovery and they were giving him oxygen.  I asked the nurse how he was doing and she asked if he was a smoker & I said yes.  She said that the oxygen level in his blood was really low & until he woke up, they had to give him oxygen.  Has any medical study ever specifically  addressed low oxygen levels in blood and the presence of cluster headaches?  We all know that the high level, 25 lpm oxygen has been recently tested to abort, but what if the problem is really in the low level of oxygen in the blood to begin with. . .what if my husband were to stay on oxygen all day long?  I wonder if he could sit still that long. . .thanks for the links 1961mom, they've really got me thinking.  Birdman, hope you are doing well. jmac, a sleep study wouldn't hurt. . .I'm going to encourage my better half to ask the doc about it.

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #35 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 9:34pm

It really seems that low level oxygen in the blood is the problem.  I know that I get the worst attacks in the middle of the night after I have been sleeping.  However, the other night I got one while I was still awake, but I had been sitting on the couch doing nothing for 2 hours straight (watching a movie) And I wondered if my breathing had slowed enough for those 2 hours that my blood oxygen level was low.  As a side note, i definitely do not fit the profile for sleep apnea... Not overweight, etc.  but i do know that I wake up alot!  hmmm.... something seems to be pointing to low oxygen levels.  I know that the ONLY thing that aborts ch's for me is intense physical activity.  IE: getting more oxygen into the blood.  But I am tired of the middle of the night jogging sessions, so I am ready for a sleep study or an oxygen prescription.  By the way, I had about 8 beers today and no ch.  Guess alcohol is not a trigger for me...

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #36 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 9:48pm

OK.  And after thinking about sleep apnea and low oxygen in the blood, I went over to the clusterbusters.com website and read about the treatment using mushrooms, then I got to thinking, what does ingesting mushrooms do?  So I googled, and came up with an article that says, that mushrooms "are one of the few rich organic sources of the substance known as Germanium.  This important nutrient actually helps increase oxygen efficiency in the body." Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  hmmmm. . .what if someone were to try non-psychedelic, shitake mushrooms to get a dose of Germanium?  Just a thought.  I always have lots of thoughts. . .my poor husband has been such a guinea pig for my thoughtful research all these years. . .
@jmac -- a beer is an instant trigger for my husband, hands down.  He doesn't touch it at all when he's in a cycle.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2010 at 10:22pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #37 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:09pm

Probably a coincidence, but I had mushrooms on my cheeseburger last night and I had another headache free night last night.   I would definitely like to try the shiitake mushrooms.  Is there a chance that in the spring and fall the oxygen levels change in the atmosphere?  Just trying to figure out why I have only gotten them in the spring?  So strange.

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #38 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 1:46pm

jmac wrote on Jun 5th, 2010 at 9:34pm:
It really seems that low level oxygen in the blood is the problem. 

My guess is that Oxygen levels in our systems may be "one" of the problems.  I think more along the lines of Winston Churchill's quote when he said to Eisenhower...."With these men, in this theatre, on this day, with these armaments....I can win this war!"

Carefully adding germanium is worth looking into. This is a quote from the Natural Health link above.       

"One of the main functions of germanium is to increase the use of oxygen by your body's tissues."

The article also stated that too much germanium "can be toxic"

I am heading to the market for Shitake Mushrooms for dinner! (germanium rich)

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #39 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 9:30pm

The mushrooms Clusterbusters are talking about are "magic mushrooms".

Just an FYI, I was tested for sleep apnea and don't have it. There is a high percentage of CH'rs that do though. Some find help for their CH with sleep apnea treatment and some don't.

Good luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #40 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 10:48pm

My husband's cycle is winding down I think.  He usually is attacked for two months, and then the CH's go away for a time. This is exactly two months, and he is on his third pain free day.  Per a suggestion on this forum, he adjusted his Rx for Verapamil (to immediate release) and it seems to be breaking the cycle. . . or maybe it's just the cycle is over. . .the insidious thing about these headaches is that you never know exactly what it is that makes them go away or stay.  Anyway, I've asked him to eat one shiitake mushroom every morning. (yay, breakfast!)  Shiitake and oyster mushrooms are higher in germanium than the more common white button mushrooms, and the way I understand it, you have to eat one every day for two weeks before it gets into your system.  It's worth a try, and these mushrooms have other qualities that make them just plain good for you, so I don't see the harm in it, as long as he doesn't protest. 
@ Skyhawk -- this is good to know.  My husband should go ahead and arrange for evaluation for sleep apnea, especially if some are getting relief from SA treatment.  I realize that Clusterbusters are talking about "magic mushrooms", but I was wondering if it was the mushroom part, and not the magic part that is helping . . . wouldn't that be awesome?
@1961Mom -- I agree, that low oxygen levels are probably one of the puzzle pieces.  So, slowly, we piece them together.  Let us know how you make out.  I bought Shiitake's yesterday and they are really good, and not as expensive as I originally thought they would be.  Since they have such superior healing properties, I'm going to start making these a staple in my cooking instead of the more common button mushrooms. 
@jmac -- that is a very good question. . . Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register It appears CO2 levels change with the seasons, but I can't find much that says O2 levels change seasonally. . .I've always felt that these cycles were connected to some kind of a biorhythm we know nothing about.  It just drives me crazy that it's always the fall or the spring. . .ahhhh, why?! Well, I've got to go.  Love to you all, and my hope is that you find pain free days.
Lynn
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2010 at 11:19pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #41 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 1:24am

Lynn this is just a wonderful post.  I am so glad I stopped by to read responses to the threads I've been following because they have all been uplifting posts tonight.  To read that your husband has had 3 pain free days & nights is wonderful news.  I have made a commitment to stay engaged with fellow sufferers even when out of cycle (if I ever get there again....almost, but not quite there yet!) for the very reasons that you address in your post.  The 'not knowing why' really drives me crazy! 

I have dosed 3 times (with magic mushrooms) since Mothers Day and have had excellent results, but I would love to be able to eat shitakes, add more germanium to my O2 deprived blood and see benefits.  Even if the benefits are fewer/shorter/less severe attacks.  That's why I've added 9mg of melatonin to my nightly pre-bedtime routine. 

I think you are an awesome partner, Lynn!  Maybe we can swap oyster-mushroom recipe's with a melatonin chaser!

ps  one thing that I thought was interesting was within the thread titled "why don't we pay more attention to this" which is about the testosterone levels being really low in the male CH sufferers (during cycles only) was that the other food high in germanium is OYSTERS!  The Romantic Little Oyster!  See my connection? 

Wink  Cindy 

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #42 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:05am

Last night was my third pain free night this week as well.  (2) pf free nights in a row followed by (1) night with (2) small attacks.  Very minor.  And then last night pain free again!!!!!  I think it is on its way out.  Man it was really breaking me down.  I have been on melatonin for about 2 or so weeks I would say.  (10 mg)  Wonder how long I should take it.  Going out for our anniversary tonight... Better eat some oysters!  Oh wait the cycle may be over... eating oysters could be dangerous!

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #43 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:25am

Happy Anniversary!!!

you better get your a$$ out.

Melatonin can be taken as a regular supplement so don't sweat it.

If you feel better about being off of it then taper off once you are a couple of weeks free.

I personally leave things alone if they are working and do not have an adverse efftect

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #44 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 4:40pm

Quote:
Oh wait the cycle may be over... eating oysters could be dangerous!

Only if getting lucky would put you in grave peril.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #45 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 8:43pm

Cindy!!!! I love that you made that connection with OYSTERS!!!. . .and it's so logical!  There is something to all of this, but I can't put my finger on it.  Low oxygen levels, low testosterone levels, seasonal appearance, arghhhh! We could be dizzy in logic connections. . .but one connection by one we uncover the truth about CH.  I'm so glad you are seeing these things too.

I'm concerned because I read that taking germanium in the supplemental form, even just a little too much, can damage the kidneys, nervous system and muscles.  The supplemental is banned in the UK.  So I hope no one uses the supplementals; I think that this is one instance where more is not necessarily better.

But consuming foods that contain germanium (oysters, shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, garlic, tuna, tomato juice) is safe.  So, got any good recipes?  The shiitake mushrooms make a fabulous topping, sauteed with onions, over a nice burger. . .and they're good in stir fry.

@jmac -- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Wouldn't it be great if your pf days are upon you, too?!!  It is so cool that both you and my husband are pf for the last 3 days (seasonal?).  He started his cycle at the beginning of April.  When did your cycle start?

@birdman. . . what's going on with you? how are you doing?
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2010 at 8:45pm by chwife »  

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #46 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 6:43am

This is hard to believe...  So we are walking to the restaurant last night and i feel a shadow starting.  I can't believe it and don't say anything to the wife because... this can't be happening now right?  So we sit down at the table and I am not saying a word and she is starting to realize something is wrong.  That... and I downed both glasses of water the waiter just poured for she and i.  (real classy right)  The waiter was right back a second later refilling the glasses like... "are you a camel pal?"  5 more uncomfortable minutes pass and i am at a level 3 or 4 at which point i tell the waiter i am getting a headache and have to leave.  (he gave me a look like "i've heard that one b4 buddy)  So i went to the car and the wife went shopping.  20 minutes later it was gone.  A little history... i had 2 beers before we left the house and no water to drink.  i am CONSTANTLY drinking water and firmly believe this plays a big part in keeping them at bay (for me) I drink about a gallon and 1/2 per day.  So we ending up going back to the same place and had dinner... but needless to say, oysters weren't needed anyway...  ch ruining my life again.

My cycle started this year on 4/26 at 630 in the morning.  I was free for the last (2) years.  When it happened this year I couldn't believe it.  It is the only time I remember vomiting during an attack.  I think it may have been from the emotion/stress/disbelief that it was happening again.  Thanks for listening.

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #47 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 3:32pm

You are living a parallel life of my husband.  His started around Easter, they're starting to go away, and it's been a couple years since his last cycle.  I have been to that dinner before.  It's OK.  When you're out of cycle, take your wife to a different restaurant, and celebrate again.  Tell her she's worth it.  Here's hoping you're pain free today.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:03am by chwife »  

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

Reply #48 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 7:50pm

Hope to hear some more good news.  Tonight I am going the "buster" route.  Wish me luck!!!

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #49 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:06am

Good luck, Birdman, I hope you find relief -- keep us posted.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!