Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Night time attack prevention (Read 12575 times)
jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Night time attack prevention
May 25th, 2010 at 6:06am

Right now I am waking up every 4 hours +/- with a cluster.  Has anyone tried setting an alarm for like a half hour before it is "supposed" to hit and got up and walked around for a few minutes so that the sleep cycle is broken?  I wonder if this has been tried and would abort the headache?  After a week of this regularity I have to try this tonight.  Would love to hear experience with this.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Night time attack prevention
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010 at 8:46am

I've never seen a discussion of this approach here but suspect--guess--that this might only delay the attack. This would be possible if sleep apnea is part of your picture.

Melatonin, upward of 9mg, has been reported as helpful to block night attacks. Another old med, if it's still available, is ergotamine, 2mg, SL, taken just before bedtime. (It comes and goes on the market so your pharmacist can tell you what the status is.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

nate
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010 at 4:48pm

I've never tried that but, I am an over the road truck driver. my waking and sleep patterns change from day to day. I have been awake when my time came and the monster still came right on time. However, I have been able to head it off while awake (for the most part). I have little exercises that I do when I start to feel one coming on. I am not on the o2 therapy but if I am able to go into a cold room and start breathing deeply I can keep it at bay about 70% of the time. The bad thing is that after the monster leaves even if it is not a real bad one I feel as if i have ran a marathon for a week straight.
What ever you do keep hanging in there. May Be one of these days they will discover what is the cause of the ch and, will be able to fix the problem forever. Grin

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2010 at 5:42pm

Bob,

I am in Ocean View Delaware.  Are you having a cycle right now?  Mine started about 1 month ago.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2010 at 8:55am

Are you using a preventive med, such as Verapamil? Just treating attacks is not enough protection.
---
Print this and share with your doc and see the PDF file, below.
Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.   

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).

=======================================
SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.

======
======
I've aged out of having active cycles! A benefit of age..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2010 at 1:14pm

Very interesting question and cant hurt to try it.  We had to do this with my son when he got the "night terrors" every night after two hours of sleep.  We would wake him after 1:45 of sleep and make him go to the bathroom.  Then back to bed, when we did this he never had a problem.  Soon as we forgot, it would happen.  Eventually he outgrew(?) them I suppose.  Do you only get nighttime hits?

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #6 - May 26th, 2010 at 3:50pm

Thanks for the drug info.  I am trying not to go down that road for fear of side effects.

No, I get them at night sometimes like around 8.  And then if I am having a bad day I will get them throughout the day, strong shadows  but not a major hit.  But this year, the worst has been the middle of the night.  (worst pain level)

IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #7 - May 26th, 2010 at 3:53pm

Oh yeah,  My daughter has "night terrors" every once in a while too.  Its awful isn't it.  Feel so bad for her.  My wife used to get them when we first got married.  Scared the crap out of me till we found out what was going on!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2010 at 4:03pm

Drug effects vs. side effects. It's a choice every clusterhead has to make.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2010 at 4:44pm

More like PAIN vs. side effects.

I'll take the side effects.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2010 at 4:57pm

seaworthy wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 4:44pm:
More like PAIN vs. side effects.

I'll take the side effects.

Fine. Have it your way:

Drug effects on pain vs. side effects.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2010 at 8:28pm

jmac, if verapamil side affects concern you,  how about lithium? Really seems to help Joe. He also is on a supplement regimen (as recommended by Batch) that he could tell you more about.

Would sure seem to be worth trying to block the hits and get some sleep!

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #12 - May 26th, 2010 at 9:55pm

I just huff oxygen.  My mask is always at hand.

Potter

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #13 - May 30th, 2010 at 9:56am

QnHeartMM wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 8:28pm:
if verapamil side affects concern you,  how about lithium? Really seems to help Joe.

Would sure seem to be worth trying to block the hits and get some sleep!

I am 39 years old and have suffered from CH as long as I can remember. I was convinced to try lithium this time, as this cycle was the worst I can remember. I was on topamax as well. And some of the vitamins fore mentioned. I was able to stop the monster at about 1 and a half- 2months rather than 4-6. I would most definitely recommend the lithium. Seemed like no serious side effects. I will definitely take the few side effects in place for the pain any day.

Much luv and PF wishes,
Pfunk

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #14 - May 30th, 2010 at 10:54am

MELATONIN!!!!

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

steph45
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Nottingham
Reply #15 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:20pm

I started using Melatonin in Nov last year. My night time hits are always 1am...always the worst, always kip 10's.

Take Melatonin every single night now. Did try stopping once cycle had ended but within days was back with revenge.So now i dont stop, in cycle or not!!!

Have just increased dosage from 9mg to 12mg this week bcuz night time hits were still breaking through - will see how this works.

Steph  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

Reply #16 - May 31st, 2010 at 11:35am

I have been taking 9mg of melatonin for two weeks and the last week have had hits 2-3 hours apart.  Not sure if cycle is peaking or if melatonin is not helping.  Wondering if I should taper off and then try again or increase dosage.  Haven't had more then three hours straight sleep in 17 days.  Starting to lose it!

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #17 - May 31st, 2010 at 1:33pm

Read the latest research from todd Rozen

It is suggesting upwards of 18-24mg of melatonin.

I'm not suggesting you take this much as I am not a dr.

My magic number was 9-12mg and it gave me over a year of sleep. does nothing for the day other than help you cope better as you are now resting so the attacks are not as disruptive.

btw this is my 6th chronic year. This cycle started in 2004.

Melatonin is the only "med" I will ever take again

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

Reply #18 - May 31st, 2010 at 8:12pm

Think I will try 12mg  tonight.  Whats the worst thing that could happen? Sorry of that sounds sad, but thats were I am right now

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #19 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:12am

Like Eric, melatonin is the only "med" I will take these days.  (Other than oxygen, of course.)  Unlike Eric, I am episodic.

My normal effective dose is 9 mg.  During the last go-around, however, I had to use 15 mg. nightly before I noticed any beneficial effect whatsoever.

Off-cycle, I'll either continue with 3 mg. nightly, or taper off altogether.  Doesn't seem to make much difference, at least to me. 

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

Reply #20 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:23am

No difference with the 12mg last night.  Four attacks, all dealt with 02.  Might give it a couple of nights.  It at least helps me get to sleep which is difficult as I know I am going to get hit.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #21 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:41am

It can take up to a week for melatonin to kick in.  I think sometimes people give up on it too quickly.  It's worth a shot.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #22 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 12:13pm

I'd like to add that just like our "on time" cluster attacks so should our melatonin dosages be taken.  I am in cycle and added the melatonin in March.  I started by taking 3mg every night at 8:30 pm for 3 days.  I added 3mg every 3 nights (all at 8:30 pm) until I reached 9mgs.  I had great results.  Just one week of 9mgs I was able to sleep through what normally would have been a 1 am and a 3 am attack.  My waking morning attack remains, but dang it's a no brainer that this is forward momentum that is IMHO worth adding to your cocktail.  What I noticed was if I missed my melatonin dosage time of 8:30 the middle of the night attacks would return AND as a bonus several of them!  These are kip 3-4 but the sheer number of them was exhausting!  So like "clockwork" I take my  melatonin now and have returned to the single attack upon "naturally wakening"   Meaning I wake up FIRST and then the attack comes within 3-5 minutes, I always feel PF upon waking!  I hope this is helpful to others just starting melatonin therapy!

Thanking the Airline Industry for my borrowed quote
"Put your Oxygen mask on first, then assist others"
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?ref  
IP Logged

jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Reply #23 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:09am

Man this is so scary guys. Isn't it?  I feel like you are all telling my story:  "afraid to go to sleep" "Kip 3 to 4 all night randomly"  "always get one 3-5 min after waking"  Night time is the worst.  Hang in there everyone!  Its hard not to get depressed.  Yesterday I had one that started when I woke up and lasted 3 whole hours.  I didn't even go into work I was so exhausted and frustrated after that ordeal (and I am self employed so that means no money!)  But last night... not one shadow and no headache upon waking.  I have been taking 10 mg melatonin for about 1 week now.  Can't tell if it is working cuz I have been getting hits every other night.  One thing I was doing was taking excedrin PM (2 tablets) and the melatonin. That REALLY helped me sleep.  One night I was getting strong shadows and Kip 3-4's, but the excedrin just kept making me pass out.  But the end result was a massive kip 9-10 upon waking... guess it was just building all night.  Hang in there everyone.  I know relief is coming.  It really is depressing when you are only getting 3 hours at a time.  I just went through that for 2 straight weeks.  Finally I have had (2) pf nights this week.

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #24 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:37pm

jmac wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:09am:
Finally I have had (2) pf nights this week.

Cheers to you!

Thanking the Airline Industry for my borrowed quote
"Put your Oxygen mask on first, then assist others"
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?ref  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!