Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Still in cycle (Read 2597 times)
donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Still in cycle
May 24th, 2010 at 8:36pm

Hello to all,
         Haven't posted for a few weeks and I'm feeling the need for some help again. Over 5 mo in this damn cycle and I've run into some other medical issues since my last post.
         I've been on Verapamil 200 mg since April 8. I finally felt some change after about 14 days,, a baby step but I'll take anything at this point. The daily head pressure seemed to break, 2 good days then 1 bad, 3 good days and then 2  bad. Funny I should call that progress but to me it was  Huh . Still have slight eye droop and pytosis(small pupil) and still have nerve burn in my head, comes and goes, but still on a daily basis. Didn't think these symptoms were bad enough to fill my oxygen script and was so hopeful it was almost over. Today I spent the day getting my Oxygen ordered, It's coming tomorrow. That's the good news. I sure wish now I had done this sooner.
       My dilemma is this. Had to have more blood work since starting the Verapamil. Apparently the blood pressure meds I've been on only since Jan. which I swear was caused from the prednisone dose have messed up my kidneys and I'm Anemic now as well.  OMG!!!  And I thought I was being soooo careful about what I was taking for this damn "thing" in my head  Angry
        What have I learned from this? I cannot take pharmaceuticals and I definitively don't want to be a guinea pig to drug companies. Bring on the Oxygen! Out of pocket expense or not. Of course Insurance will cover it 100% after I meet my deductible.  That shouldn't take too long the rate I'm going. Damn!
         I'm still a newbie and still have alot to learn.
Right now I'm feeling angry, scared and I want to cry again, all at the same time. Damn!   Angry   Sad   Cry

Thanks for listening guys/ gals.

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Still in cycle
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2010 at 10:13pm

Ow. Been a bad year for extended cycles and "high cycle" periods for many on the board. Suppose we can blame it on global warming??? Wink

Sorry the verapamil didn't work for you, it's such a popular first round prevent because it has worked for so many. I've been lucky for many years now in that lithium has been my silver bullet. No side effects yet and still works fairly well, (most of the time! Roll Eyes) at keeping beastie at bay. I'd encourage you not to totally give up on the pharmaceutical route. Might still be something out there to help you.

For alternatives, may want to look at Clusterbusters.com

Hang in there and keep the 02 close. Maybe we can both kick our cycles next month. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010 at 12:50am

Prednisone. Yep that stuff can be seriously dangerous. Sorry to hear about all the lousy trials and tribulations you continue to have.  Angry

What Joe said about clusterbusters. To think that it's non toxic and we've seen some CHers get some astounding relief.

(Apologies to the regulars here, because here I go again with my umpteenth insertion of the Newsweek article link) Donna Mae, if you haven't seen this yet, I figure you might want to give it a serious look:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 7:59am

Hey, Donna Mae. I know I'm late responding to your post but I've been away for awhile. Sorry to hear the CH's are back so strong. Let us know if the O2 worked. Prayers comin' your way!

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:39pm

Hi Guys, Me again! Not having any luck with O2. The beast is building strength again since last weekend, 6/5. Had to leave my job on tuesday it got so bad.  Had a real rough week thru the weekend, k5 & k6 for hours at a time. Called my Neuro Mon a.m. 6/14 and got an app to see him that day. So I'm back on Pred taper, only 6 days though and he changed my Verapamil meds. Day 3 on pred taper and have had some head pain/ burn a few too many times today. Not sleeping again.  6 months now for me in this damn cycle. I'm so tired of this.  I'm so tired of hearing family , friends and co-workers asking "How are you today?" and I have to tell them, "The same, still in this cycle, heads killing me". Thought I was almost there and then Slam! He's back and telling me he's not done with me yet!  I'm really getting scared he's not ever going to leave. He's moved in to stay.
      My neuro thinks I need to go to a pain clinic. Anyone else gone that route? I have no clue. What can they do? I sure don't want to be taking any more drugs. There killing me. High BP, Anemia, Kidney issues! I was perfectly healthy 6 mo ago. WTF! Sorry bout that! Been using those 4 letter words alot lately and I'm really a lady who doesn't ever swear!
       I just needed to vent tonight guys. Thanks for being here. Just knowing I'm not the only one dealing with this crap and the only one who feels there going nuts. You all know!

Crying Again! Cry

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 11:28pm

For success with O2 you must NOT hesitate to get on the O2. It MUST be thru a NONrebreather mask with a bag on it. The regulator must go to at least 15lpm. Please read thru the "oxygen info" link below. Also O2 concentrators are not good for CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best of luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 3:19am

Thanks Don for responding. I have the rebreather mask with a bag. I have the o2ptmask sold here by lifegas. I've tried it several times. Used 3/4 of my M tank already. Thought It was helping a couple times. Gave me some relief for an hour or two. Then I got nothing from the treatment next 3 tries. I've read the oxygen link over and over. I guess I don't know what you mean by hyperventilating. Please someone explain to me what that means.

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 8:31am

Hey DonnaMae, I am still so sorry this is happening to you. Two quick comments: first, find Batch on one of the message board sites and pop him an email. He's a great guy, with extensive knowledge of O2 use and equipment. I don't want to believe the O2 won't help. I, too, was confused by the hyperventilation until he and I talked through some early techniques. And that's another thing, hit the O2 at the first sign of an attack. Don't wait, it just makes it harder. Not sure where you're getting your O2, but I've had some problems here in Attleboro when I go through the M tank too quickly. Still, they can't mess with your Dr's scrip unless they want trouble with the medical board.

Second, I had a good visit at the Sturdy Pain Clinic. They have at least one PA who is familiar with CHs from personal experience. He was quite kind and informative. They do offer alternative techniques (all tried before and useless in my case) as well as occipital nerve blocks. Haven't had one yet but highly recommended by Dr Paul Rizzoli out of Falkner/Harvard med school.

If you haven't made an appointment with him, yet, do so. He's amazingly informed and experienced at dealing with CHs. He's the direcor of the John R. Graham headache clinic. I see him next week. If you try and make an appointment I'll ask him to look for your name. Hang in there, darlin'. Don't give up hope. My prayers are with you and God bless! lance

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 10:58am

Hi Donna Mae.  I bet you know what I am going to say and I bet you won't do it.  You are a classic case of failed pharmaceuticals.  I second what the Bejeeber and others have said about checking the clusterbuster website.

The RC seeds are easy to get and successful for many.  Breaking your cycle would be harder, but possible, and avoiding it next time much easier. 

If you read your post, take away the perceived stigma of "illegal drugs!", you are a classic case for trying  psychoactive plants and fungus.

Just my .00002cents.  Don't hate me for jamming this one a little harder than normal Angry, love me for caring and trying to help Smiley

--The Shaggy Cheesy

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 1:43pm

Hyperventilation = rapid deep breathing. Really pumping that O2 into the lungs with urgency.

What flow rate are you using Donna?

If a measly 15 LPM isn't doing it (it doesn't do Jack for me once the attacks start hitting heavy), you may have to bump it up significantly. I wonder if that is a missing link for you with the O2?

And listen to your Shaggy Parasol now.  Smiley

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 5:38pm

Hi Guys!
        I made it through the day at work today. Had a few tough episodes but was able to escape and work thru them. Tomorrow I'm in charge, bosses are away and I'm dropping down another 20mg of pred. and it has me very nervous. I just hope and pray I can make it thru the day again.
        Thank you all so much for all your advice, I knew I wasn't doing the O2 correctly, just inhaling and exhaling at a normal pace. I have 15 lpm reg. and will check into ordering a higher flow rate reg. tonite.
         Guess I need to talk to Batch again for more details and tips proper delivery of treatment. Please Keep your fingers and toes crossed and I'll take any prayers too. I have to get off these drugs.
          And thanks Shaggy, not offended at all by your advice, it's my husband that seriously will have a much bigger problem with the alternatives than me. It will be my last resort. He will just have to deal with it.
          You are all so very kind and caring. I'm so thankful I found this site and all of you.
           I'll keep you informed how I'm making out.

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 6:55pm

donna mae wrote on Jun 18th, 2010 at 5:38pm:
..He will just have to deal with it...

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Fingers and toes crossed.....

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 9:36pm

I hear what you are saying Donna Mae.  You're not the first to have a spouse that doesn't want their mate to try the alternatives. 

For me, having never done "drugs" before and never plannning on doing them it was still an easy decision.  I got a lot of info from friends and the busters and did my best to do it safely.  My friends who had done a lot of drugs thought I was just using it as an excuse to do some shrooms dude, you know cause you could just take some aspirin for your headache, right?

My non-drug taking friends were a little freaked out.  But everyone who knows me, knows I don't do recreational drugs so most were willing to listen.  I sent a few articles around to emphasize my point and now we have a great video by Bob that has been making the circuit here.

When I really sat down and described the pain and the frequency to people, everyone, even my mom, is happy that I am finding relief.   Who wouldn't be?  And they can be very effective with small doses.  Doses that do not create any kind of psychoactive events.

I am definitely not saying 'you should', but no one knows the pain except us.  And if the pharmacueticals are destroying you, there are better, gentler options. Smiley

Angry mean face guy wards off evil cluster headaches!

--Shaggy

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 10:50pm

Hi again,
      Thanks Shaggy, I wish mean faced guy could warn off this beast that's living in my head. What kills me is I had that door almost closed, he only had his f****n big toe in and then I had the kidney issue, had to stop all BP meds and SLAM,  he's back, stronger than ever.
       I'll be researching the busters site for more info. I have looked up RC seeds and have seen some sources, not so sure about the shrooms. may need some help with that route.
       I've been up today since 3:08 a.m. Need to try to get some sleep. I'm so tired.
        Thanks again so much for being here for me.

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 4:11pm

You can find bigger regulators on Ebay from time to time but I bought mine from the following.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, a 25lpm for my E-tank, model# HCS8725M for about $35, made in China.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, for any size tank and any flow up to 60lpm, for $162, you can get one for around $140, and made in the USA, also are made to order. Very high quality.

Lifegas has one for either tank that goes to 25lpm with a Demand valve fitting, (just the fitting not the Demand) for about $285.

Good luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 9:49pm

Thanks Don,
         I really appreciate the info and choices for a better / higher lpm regulator. 15 lpm is definitely not working for me. I have decided to go for the the Flotec  InGage regulator 0-60 lpm , was highly recommended by Pete.  I'm going to be ordering  it first thing tomorrow. Hope it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Thanks again to all of you who responded to my SOS.
I don't know how I would have made it through the last few weeks with out you guys.

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 11:02pm

You're welcome Donna Mae,
Pete helped me big time and still is. I ordered my first Flotec in '08 and it took 6 days to arrive. Just got one for my E tanks 3 months ago and took a little longer, they were bringing up a new system.

They are a great help for me, I went from aborting 60% to more like 98%. Hard to believe but true. Of course CH still sucks.

Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 6:03am

Seriously, that much of a % success rate! Wow! That is so encouraging. After all these months of frustration and not having any luck with all the many different meds I've tried, and then the complications with my kidney function and anemia, this has to work for me. Yes, Pete is very knowledgeable about all things related to CH and O2. He gave me a few tips to try in the meantime and I've had some abort time already from them. The pred taper I'm on now of course has helped knock ole beastie down to a whisper last few days so I'm doing OK. Thank goodness! And I'm starting to sleep a little better again, 5 hrs. last 2 nights with only 1 wake up call.

Things are looking up! Fingers & toes crossed, and pray it continues.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:24am

Hey DonnaMae. Pray you're sleepin' right now, but when you wake up, am also prayin' you have a pf day and night! As to clusterbusting, should you get an appointment with the clinic, bring it up. I did. I was surprised by the lack of judgment and the support I got from my family. One of the recommendations is to have a close supporter on hand while busting....sounded right but I needed to have their understanding first. Good luck and let us know what happens. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!