Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blood test anomaly (Read 3837 times)
BenjaminThurber
CH.com Newbie

Cluster Heads of the World
Unite!

Planet Earth
Blood test anomaly
May 23rd, 2010 at 12:01am

Hello,

The reason I put that subject in a board about clusters is because I'd really like to know if there's been a study about this, if it's specific to cluster heads, or if it's really just an anomaly in my blood.

As I put in an earler thread, some time ago, I get huge cravings for salt at the outset of every cluster attack.  Someone pointed out that there has been a study on this, but, a couple of weeks ago, I had a blood test, and this anomaly turned up.

It turns out the sodium levels were actually below the recommended amount.

I know that sodium, along with potassium, are two metals that the brain uses to operate, and that some people suffer from potassium deficiencies, and that got me to wondering.

Are sodium deficiencies common among cluster sufferers?  Anybody know?

A month of torture, two months of relief, and a way to cut the torture down.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Blood test anomaly
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2010 at 1:10am

Interesting....never seen any studies and don't think I have deficiency...but both my brother (never had a headache that I know of) and I crave salt. We eat it right out of the shaker. Didn't think it strange until more than a few folks pointed it out.....

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2010 at 9:09pm

Several studies have pointed to possible genetic issues related to ion-pumps in our cells - potassium, sodium,calcium, magnesium, and chloride. One class of meds to treat clusters are the calcium channel blockers.

Wish it was as easy as eating more salt or less- I think that is probably a symptom of something bigger. But some of us might  find partial relief by adjusting salt intake. Magnesium deficiency is the norm in clusters, and that is one thing I try to remedy in my chemistry.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2010 at 5:11am

Potassium supplements should also always be taken when on a Pred taper, for steroids have a tendency of decreasing potassium levels even further.

IP Logged

BenjaminThurber
CH.com Newbie

Cluster Heads of the World
Unite!

Planet Earth
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2010 at 8:38am

monty wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 9:09pm:
Wish it was as easy as eating more salt or less- I think that is probably a symptom of something bigger. But some of us might  find partial relief by adjusting salt intake. Magnesium deficiency is the norm in clusters, and that is one thing I try to remedy in my chemistry.

I know I'm not the only one who finds the craving of salt to be a sort of prelude.  With the responses from this thread, and I am wondering even more, now, if there is a possibility, I'm fairly certain that a study might just turn up a deficiency like this, and, if so, it may result in a new treatment.  I'm fairly certain it doesn't diminish the time of the attack, but I know it does indicate one coming on.

A month of torture, two months of relief, and a way to cut the torture down.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:23pm

A possible connection: Sodium, much like Oxygen, breaks down NO (Nitric Oxide). Also, Prednisone and other Steroids contribute to the accumulation of Sodium in the body.

I remember someone posting here about using salt water as an abortive.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!