Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nicotine Gum (Read 1368 times)
Miklos
CH.com Hall of Famer

Plano|USA|TX
Nicotine Gum
May 22nd, 2010 at 5:31pm

I quit smoking over three years ago, but I still chew the nicotine gum (but not that nasty Nicorette stuff). During this cycle, I have had headaches start about 7 to 10 minutes after starting to chew a piece of the gum. It typically only happens in the middle of the afternoon or in the evening.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or, as usual, is it just me?

Yes, I know I should not be chewing the gum at all, but the doctor has reluctantly agreed to the compromise in the interest of cleaner lungs and a blood pressure averaging 120/60 which ain't bad for a person my age.

Signed, CH BOF.

Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Re: Nicotine Gum
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2010 at 9:47pm

we had a discussion a while back about chewing popcorn. i think we came to the conclusion that the muscles used to repetitively chew can be a trigger. ain't that a bitch. lol Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClusterHK
CH.com Junior

Ouch!

Now in Sydney, Australia!
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2010 at 11:35pm

My first major CH's occurred during a time that I had stopped smoking and was on nicotine gum. Maybe there's a correlation here.

Anyway, from a non-CH perspective, keep chewing the gum - chewing it for the next 10 years will still do far less damage to you than relapsing. Some people take several years to wean themselves off nicotine gum completely.

Now trying a beer test - fingers crossed.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2010 at 12:08am

-johnny- wrote on May 22nd, 2010 at 9:47pm:
we had a discussion a while back about chewing popcorn. i think we came to the conclusion that the muscles used to repetitively chew can be a trigger. ain't that a bitch. lol Cheesy 

dang...good pull johnny...got hung up on the nicotine and nearly forgot....been SO long since I knew repetive chewing was a trigger...it became knowing without thinking...it aint the nico CHK...it's the CHEW!

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2010 at 2:09am

jon019 wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 12:08am:
-johnny- wrote on May 22nd, 2010 at 9:47pm:

dang...good pull johnny...got hung up on the nicotine and nearly forgot....been SO long since I knew repetive chewing was a trigger...it became knowing without thinking...it aint the nico CHK...it's the CHEW!

jon its like some kinda hobby isn't it? like guys talking about old muscle cars or somethin Grin lol
yeah i think repetitive  chewing is a trigger.
ya know another alternative is the e-cigarette. get your nic fix with out the smoke or the repetitive chew.
theres a lady driver at con-way that uses them and she says they're very satisfying. she went from 2 packs a day down to 1/2 a pack. after the initial start up cost in about a month you'll save a couple bucks. especially @ 2 packs a day

IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2010 at 3:35pm

I haven't found a relationship between nicotine gum and attacks.  I have however, had at least a few instances where I've snuck a smoke or two and been hit within the hour.

IP Logged

Miklos
CH.com Hall of Famer

Plano|USA|TX
Reply #6 - May 26th, 2010 at 8:47am

Spoke with the doctor yesterday afternoon. He said it was it was highly likely that the initial flood of nicotine that comes with chewing a piece of gum could contribute to a CH onset whereas a chewing action for 5 to 7 minutes was a less likely contribution. That the problems start later in the day might be due to the fact that I had been chewing gum all day long.

Finally, he said no one had ever asked him that before so he admitted he was just making an educated guess. His best recommendation was to stop chewing nictotine gum in the evening and see if that solves the problem.

Old joke: Doc, it hurts when I do this... You all know the punchline.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010 at 9:29am by Miklos »  

Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!