Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BLAH BLAH BLAH (Read 2009 times)
Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BLAH BLAH BLAH
May 13th, 2010 at 8:40pm

I am getting so frustrated... I go see my doctor on Tuesday, I was having issues with the dosage of Verapamil that I was taking....it was making me seriously ill...I mean, omg if I throw up one more time I will kill myself kill... I tell him, I can't tolerate the stuff... well, wait let me go back one step, by nature I run a low blood pressure, usually mid 70's to low 80s.. so you all know the Verapamil is usually given for blood pressure, high blood pressure... okay, so back to the problem, I go in I say Dr. M, I can't tolerate this stuff, I've been on it 30 days now, and it just makes me sick, I can barely get out of bed, I get winded, I feel like I've run a marathon, and I literally feel like I've had the flu for like forever.  I was on 280 mg a day... so I say, I want to try Topamax, because this other crap you have me on just isn't cutting it... Dr. M. says, Erin, let's cut it in half, I think the dosage is to high for you and it was causing your blood pressure to crash that is why you weren't feeling so well.... so I was like, well, what about the Topamax, he said, that he didn't feel that Topamax was a good alternative to the Verapmil and that he wanted me to try the lower dose.... so fine! okay, day 3 on the lower dose, still feel like shit, still feel lethargic, still feel as if I've been run over by a mac truck...so I call Dr. M. he says, Erin, give it time, you'll get used to it.... I said OKAY, I DON'T WANT TO GET USED TO FEEL LIKE CRAP....I WANT TO FEEL NORMAL! I am in the shadows right now, so if I stop it, I'll go in another cycle and well, I just got out of one, so, I am just ticked off beyond belief....oh and btw, I ask for oxygen script, he says, I'll give you one, but you won't be able to afford it... (I am uninsured), so whatever, hubby is going through the loophole.... see what I mean my blah!  It's bad enough that I have this over my head, and it's bad enough I know a cycle is coming, but, for the love of Pete, if I think a medicine needs to be changed shouldn't he change it??? He says that if he lowers the dose anymore, it become ineffective to treat Cluster Headaches.... Angry (banging head on wall)  Any suggestions on meds?  Dr. M is totally against Topamax not enough data or some bullshit like that (pardon my language)

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: BLAH BLAH BLAH
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2010 at 9:04pm

Quote:
I ask for oxygen script, he says, I'll give you one, but you won't be able to afford it... (I am uninsured),

Erin, even being uninsured 02 is cheap.  Trust me.  Does your husband or anyone in your family know of a way to get welders 02?   Pure oxygen is most of our NUMBER ONE abortive.  Cheap, safe, no side-effects.

Topomax is a preventative med.   However if you want to remember what your name and address is, be able to add a simple column of figures..it may not be the drug of choice.  I tried it.  Made me dumber than a box of rocks and after several weeks I got off of it pronto. Many, many here have reported the same exact thing.

Keep coming here Erin...we'll try to help you.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2010 at 9:09pm

yeah, that's the loophole I was speaking... was going to cost me 2k my dr said medical prescription, so we going to the welder's places.... I just can't do the verapmil its killing me....

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2010 at 9:25pm

Many of us here have both.  medical tanks that we can use for traveling...and I huge big ole tank at home.

I look at both with a sort of love/hate affection.  When I am not getting hit..I hate the site of those green tanks. 

When I am getting hit...I love them more than. ..than...um...uh...er...I can't think of who I love more than those tanks at that time. I am too focused on getting relief.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2010 at 10:43pm

Get the O2 as an abortive, but have you tried lithium as a preventative instead of verapamil?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2010 at 10:53pm

Talk to your O2 provider and tell them what you are using it for, that you have no insurance, that you will be paying cash and they will probably cut you a deal that will be cheaper than going the welders route, especially if you don't already have a tank.  Several years ago I did that, and it ended up costing me pennies on the dollar compared to what they charged ins companies.  They told me the jack the price to the ins cos. because of having to go through all of the hassle to collect and the slow pay they did finally get.  You will probably have to talk to a few before you get one that will work with you, and don't go through a medical equip store.  Go directly to the O2 company.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2010 at 11:25pm

Lincare here has O2 (without insurance) for $15 a tank.  It isnt super cheap BUT also not crazy expensive. 

Now, you can also try energy drinks ($2 a pop) as an abortive.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2010 at 11:25am

Quote:
was going to cost me 2k my dr said medical prescription

Are you saying that your Dr. said it would cost 2000.00 for an oxygen setup or am I mis-reading what you wrote?    Oxygen from a medical supply place doesn't cost anywhere near that!!!  I pay 10.00 per e-tank and regulators can be bought on-line very inexpensively.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2010 at 9:32pm

I know right?? When I asked my doctor for a oxygen prescription he said I 'll give you one, but you can't afford it..he said a couple grand, I damn near fell off the table.  I didn't think it was that much but he insisted.  I don't know he is thinking I am asking for one of those box looking things or what.  My husband's mom was with me, and she said, he's right Erin.  She had a son that was on oxygen 24/7...I don't know, I get so many different stories, so I am digging doing my due diligence and doing the research, because honestly, I am confused.  As far as trying the lithium, my body doesn't tolerate it well...I get toxic fast...even at a low doses... My husband says I am just fragile LOL I say he's full of crap.... I haven't given up...I won't give up....I'll figure it out, one way or the other.... i also haven't slept in like 3 days either, so I am teetering on insanity at the moment.... but it'll work itself out........ I hope! Sad

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2010 at 10:56pm

Sounds like you might be ready for clusterbusters.com

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2010 at 1:44am

PLEASE DON'T TAKE ANOTHER DOSE OF VERAPAMIL.

(Note: since it DOES help some people, this advice is ONLY for those who have a bad reaction to it).

I had the same bad reaction to Verapamil, my doctor insisted I stay on it and I am CONVINCED it is what made me shift to chronic because on it I felt my symptoms shift to those of a chronic.  A few years back there was a long discussion on it and I'm not the only person who thinks Verapamil made them worse not better.  If there's one thing I wished I'd known from the beginning of this it's to take charge of my own health and that means listening to my body about what medications work for me instead of a doctor who clearly is in over their head.  If you need courage about that, go through the archives and find where we wrote about that and then you can tell your doctor you've read too much anecdotal evidence that verapamil makes people with low blood pressure worse not better.

I'm overtired and shadowing right now so I don't have the energy to do the research for you & link everything to this post but you should research treatment protocols yourself.  Print them out and take them to the doctor if you want.  Though if it's an option you should probably find a doctor more willing to work with you.  This one seems too opinionated and unknowledgable to be much good.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2010 at 6:22am

If you can't tolerate Verapamil, although it seems to be working to some extent, you might want to try Kudzu instead.

Topamax has never done anything for me (though it has for others) and you may find that if you react like this to Verapamil, Topamax' side effects might be even worse.

IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2010 at 7:47am

A mention of Kudzu above....was wondering the amount a man of 175 lbs should be taking. I've been researching this plant for my husband's CH, speaking w/ herbalists etc. on it's benefits and find all positives about this "natural" preventative. Thought it could also help his belly and digestive issues.
Thoughts?
diane

♬and in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make ♬

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2010 at 10:59am

Erin,  Your doctor and your mother in law are wrong. I believe what they are thinking about is the contraption people with COPD, Emphasema, and other chronic breathing problems have to use 24/7 along with the nasel cannula.
THAT is not what you need.  Someone already gave you the link to the 02 page.  Please look at it.  It's to the left of here in yellow.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #14 - May 15th, 2010 at 1:48pm

Potter wrote on May 5th, 2010 at 11:59am:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is per Marc.  Get educated and get on board.

Potter

I posted this in your other thread.  I'm gonna assume you overlooked it.

Potter

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #15 - May 16th, 2010 at 3:12pm

Many here take Kudzu in two dosages of up to 600-1,000mg each per day. There is no hard fast rule that I am aware of.

Although there are references that Kudzu can help the digestive system and diarrhea, certainly in my case the opposite is true.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!