Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member (Read 1955 times)
Jaco
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pretoria, South Africa
May 9th, 2010 at 8:04am

Hi Guys,

I am a self diagnosed cluster headache sufferer.  I'm a 31 year old male, living in South Africa.

I had my first CH a month or so ago.  I had no idea what was going on.  I had a dull pain on the left side earlier the day, but thought it just to be from a lack of sleep (had to pull an all nighter the previous night at work).  I had a couple of drinks with friends that night and went to bed.  I woke up two hours later and thought I was having a stroke.

I had the most intense pain on the left side of my head, my eye was swollen and tearing out of control.  My left nostril was running like a faucet.  I could not go back to sleep.  I just lay there sobbing.  I took normal pain meds (2 hits of aspirin and 2 hits of ibuprofen), which made absolutely no difference.

Luckily I had some Rizatriptan (Maxalt) in the medicine cabinet I had used for normal migrains in the past.  15 mins after the Maxalt, the attack was gone.

Last night I had another episode, took another Maxalt and 30 minutes later no relief.  The attack started after I went for an afternoon nap (again I had some precursory pain, due to the same circumstances as the previous episode).  After 30 mins I begged my wife to take me to the ER.  My blood pressure was higher that normal (normally mine is a bit low), but this could be due to the pain & maxalt.

At ER I had some schedule 6 meds on IV and was feeling better within minutes. 

By reading the forums it seems that once you get CH you have them for life.  Does God hate me that much?
I can't bear a lifetime of this...

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2010 at 8:14am by Jaco »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: New member
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2010 at 10:46am

Welcome, Jaco. You might want to think about getting an appointment with a neurologist and getting a real diagnosis. That way you can rule out anything more nefarious and also get access to medications that will help you manage this thing. Some of the preventatives available can make this condition very, very manageable.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2010 at 10:46am

The very last sentence..... And who said that God doesn't have sense of humor! <bg>

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2010 at 2:42pm

Energy drinks at the start of an attack can reduce pain levels or even abort low pain attacks as long as they have 0.4% taurine and 0.03% caffeine.

sorry I keep chiming in on these posts with this but I think it's important to mention cos it's cheep , script free , and a very straight away way of getting some kinda relief from this for a lot of people .

prayers and best wishes

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2010 at 2:45pm

Headache Boy uk wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 2:42pm:
Energy drinks at the start of an attack can reduce pain levels or even abort low pain attacks as long as they have 0.4% taurine and 0.03% caffeine.

sorry I keep chiming in on these posts with this but I think it's important to mention cos it's cheep , script free , and a very straight away way of getting some kinda relief from this for a lot of people .

prayers and best wishes

Nigel

As long as your advice is good keep on plugging away.

Potter

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2010 at 2:49pm

Thanks potter it's about all I know at the moment cos it's really helped me ...well that and imitrex jabs rock.

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

clusterica
CH.com Junior

Israel
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2010 at 3:25pm

I'm with Nigel... i found that energy drinks are really helpful!
But you have to know not to drink it too much coz' you might become addicted to it.
Also i found that every day walking in open air might help you too (I'm doing it because i don't have and oxygen prescription)

and welcome to our family
Anna

Don't take life too serious.
You'll never escape it alive anyway Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - May 9th, 2010 at 10:37pm

Yeah if it's CH it's probably with you for life....BUT......I've been married almost 28 years, raised 2 beautiful daughters, just finished a great career, all while "managing" cluster headaches. It takes a little bit of work on your part. Both in finding a knowledgeable doctor, doing your own homework, then coming up with a plan that involves a preventative regimen, and an abortive regimen.

Brew's right, first order of business get to a neuro and let's eliminate anything else. Hoping you get some relief soon, headache pain sucks.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jaco
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pretoria, South Africa
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:05am

Brew wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 10:46am:
Welcome, Jaco. You might want to think about getting an appointment with a neurologist and getting a real diagnosis. That way you can rule out anything more nefarious and also get access to medications that will help you manage this thing. Some of the preventatives available can make this condition very, very manageable.

Hi Brew,

Thank you for your concern.  I have been to the neuro a couple of times now (long time regular migraine sufferer).   I have had CTscans/MRI/X-rays and electrodes stuck to my head.  The neuro says there is nothing 'physically' wrong with me.

Had warning signs of another attack yesterday (shadows), I immediately drank two cups of strong coffee and it stopped it in it's tracks.  I got the tip on this message board! 

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2010 at 7:11am by Jaco »  

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2010 at 8:17am

You asked if God hated you so much as to inflict this upon you for life?  In my opinion, the answer is "no." God does not hate you. Or if God does hate you, I do not believe the CHs are the sign. But having said that, it's natural for those of us who are believers to question our God in this, and in all matters of pain. We would rather not have any pain, physical or emotional, or see our loved ones in pain. Or the world, for that matter. But pain has a function. And the body doesn't work as it ought, frequently. And the betrayal is ultimate (we will die from something someday, so the body for now does betray us unto death). Just know this beast must be fought with all your strength. Do not give in to it or the despair you may feel. Draw strength from this site and from your beliefs. Blessings!

IP Logged

ClusterSteve35
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2010 at 1:37am

Hello and welcome Jaco,
   I'm 35 and have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for 18 years..  I agree with the others....  see a neurologist for an official diagnosis and inquire about oxygen or  if the maxalt isnt working, then maybe a different abortive..  It takes some fighting, but it CAN be managed.
There's also plenty of good info here...
-Steve-

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #11 - May 12th, 2010 at 7:53am

Beautifully said brew! Thankyou. I needed to hear that today!
donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2010 at 7:55am

sorry, I meant whimsey.

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Jaco
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pretoria, South Africa
Reply #13 - May 13th, 2010 at 3:59am

thank you for the all the responses!

I will be keeping a diary of all the attacks and what abortives worked/didn't for each episode.

It is great to know that you are not alone out there!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #14 - May 13th, 2010 at 12:55pm

23 yrs. ago I self-diagnosed also.  THEN I went and got an official diagnosis from one of the worlds leading headache professionals.  Finding a knowledgable Dr. who is willing to work with you in finding what will work best for you is half the battle.

Finding all of us hereto help and support you,  ain't too shabby either.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!