Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seafood Trigger (Read 4568 times)
Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Seafood Trigger
May 8th, 2010 at 9:28pm

So, I really don't eat shellfish (shrimp, crabs, etc.) because I get gout. For mother's day, we went to Joe's Crab shack and I indulged in Shrimp and crabs. Within an hour, I had the worst headache I've had since what I'll call the middle of this past cycle. It was all steamed, and I only had corn and a roasted potato and no alcohol, so no other issues. Anyone have issues with shellfish? This is a first, since I really don't eat it due to gout. I guess the easiest thing is to just avoid it altogether.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: Seafood Trigger
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Could be the food, or could be the spice (such as MSG) that they might put on it.  Crabs are very rich and 'fragrant' ... I could see how they might trigger some people. Haven't noticed that shrimp have any effect on me, and I don't recall eating crabs in cycle.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2010 at 1:07am

Always good to ask the crowd here just in case there is a consensus starting.  Buuuut, I find the food or smell triggers very strange.  Bay laurel has been getting a lot of press lately and I really like that smell.  See it in the woods, go grab it and take a nice deep breathe in.  Hedge nettles triggers an attack when in my cycle, but won't start a cycle.  Catnip started a cycle once for me, but I don't avoid it now.  Small sips of water will trigger an attack while in cycle.

Other than alcohol I think the food and smells are hocus pocus, sometimes yes and sometimes no.  My body is super sensitive during a cycle and somethings sound really bad to me and I avoid them.  Apples last time.  Oranges on the other hand were my favorite food during my last cycle, felt so good in my little clustered body.  Beats me! Cheesy

--Shaggy

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2010 at 9:32am

Big time sea food eater and thank goodness, to this point, not a trigger! (But would KILL for a beer today!!!!) Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Arde
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Dayton, TX.
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2010 at 9:58pm

Guiseppi wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 9:32am:
Big time sea food eater and thank goodness, to this point, not a trigger! (But would KILL for a beer today!!!!) Wink

Joe

You and me both. Why couldn't beer be a treatment and not a trigger? Life can sure be unfair in the strangest of ways.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2010 at 10:21pm

Beer as a CH abortive............sigh........I fear when that day comes I'll have wings on and be playing a harp! Grin Grin Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2010 at 2:42pm

I had shrimp twice (home cooked scampi one night, creole the next time) over a two week period and got an attack within a half hour of eating. Problem is I get attacks almost every night between 7 and 9pm so I always wonder when they come a little early if it was the food (saw somewhere somebody mention garlic as a freakin trigger). I know that doesn't help but it seems to me we are always looking to see what we did just before an attack and figure out if it was a trigger. IMHO, everything is a trigger while in cycle including breathing it seems. By the way I am all for beer being an abortive so please let me know when you find one that works. Smiley

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2010 at 1:54pm

I used to have all kinds of food and smell triggers. Not so much anymore, thankfully. But when I had them I swore by them and would avoid anything that seemed to trigger in the past. My mother in law has also triggered me - it's a little harder to explain avoiding her but I've used it a time or two   Wink

Scott

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2010 at 11:49pm

Tiniest sample of one (me) here...so basically worthless...but my profession for 25 yrs was as a seafood evaluator. Probably have eaten more than most here COMBINED (lucky guy)....

Never been anywhere close to a trigger....though in a cruel irony I am now allergic to crustaceans (shrimp and crab...my favorites)......

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

wip5150
CH.com Veteran

I have tired head

Naperville, IL
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2010 at 1:31pm

davidj35 wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 2:42pm:
I had shrimp twice (home cooked scampi one night, creole the next time) over a two week period and got an attack within a half hour of eating. Problem is I get attacks almost every night between 7 and 9pm so I always wonder when they come a little early if it was the food (saw somewhere somebody mention garlic as a freakin trigger). I know that doesn't help but it seems to me we are always looking to see what we did just before an attack and figure out if it was a trigger. IMHO, everything is a trigger while in cycle including breathing it seems. By the way I am all for beer being an abortive so please let me know when you find one that works. Smiley

I've said around here that I do find garlic to be a trigger....for me.  When I'm out of cycle, I can have as much as I want but when I'm in cycle - no matter what food it is slathered on - it automatically results in an attack.  I have not had a similar experience with seafood or shellfish for that matter. 

Just goes to show - much like treatments -what triggers one may not trigger another.

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  I have, and man it hurts.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1 wip5150  
IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:37am

As an update to this I'm wondering based on recent events and some new research regarding purine and CH (which is also bad for gout) if the high purine levels in the food got me that night. On Christmas 2 days ago I had scallops and some cured meat and aged cheese and garlic and meatballs. All things I eat but never together at one time. Within 2 hours I was ready to cash in my chips. Maybe it's not the shellfish, per se, but the high purine and some other combos at work, including the garlic. Damn and I thought being gluten free was hard with celiac disease.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 2:07am

My offer still stands to all here at ch.com.  Where beer and crustaceans are causing you problems, simply send them to me and I'll ensure they're returned to nature in the most environmentally-friendly way.

Do not send money!   This is a free service because I care.

(Also, beware of imitators named Joe!)

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!