Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First appointment with a Neurologist (Read 970 times)
miakate
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UK Wirral Merseyside
First appointment with a Neurologist
May 6th, 2010 at 5:38pm

Hi all, I have my very first appointment with a Neurologist on the 21st May, I have no idea what to expect, or what tests will be preformed (if any) I have been experiencing CH for 23 years and they have been misdiagnosed as migraines Angry so not had ANY treatment apart from self medication, Ibuprofen etc ( will little effect) What info should I give to the dr? has anyone got any I could print out? What tests should I expect? What medication should I mention? I'm a little worried I wont be taken seriously (past behaviour of my drs) Cry Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks xxx

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: First appointment with a Neurologist
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2010 at 6:15pm

Go to the oxygen info tab on the let and print out the info. If he refuses oxygen, you know right off the bat he knows NOTHING  about CH and anything after that will be about as useful as visiting your local veterinarian!

Discuss what preventatives he is comfortable with, Verapamil, Lithium, Topmax. Discuss what abortives...besides oxygen....he is familiar with. Find out how hard it will be to reach him by phone should you suddenly need a new prescription of oxygen or imitrex. Ask how many CH patients he has seen. Find out if he's comfortable with reading literature you bring him. (Those are the best ones. I have a mountain of respect for any man who can admit he doesn't know every damned thing! Wink)

Hoping you found a good one....although everyone knows...only guys get CH! Roll Eyes

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

angela40
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2010 at 9:08pm

I recently had my first neuro appointment. I was there for about 1 1/2 hours and the majority of that time was spent discussing my symptoms and treatment. The only test performed was a general neurological exam including checking reflexes, gait, balance, and coordination. Totally painless.
Good luck!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:40am

Going to a neuro is vital, but can be a bit frustrating if the neuro is not up on CHs. It is up to you to be fully informed and informative. Read this site throughly, take notes, prepare ahead of time a written description (for your own recall if not for the neuro's notes) of your pain, its frequency, location, duration and any attendant symptoms. This should help! Good luck and blessings!

IP Logged

miakate
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UK Wirral Merseyside
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Hi, thanks for all your replies will get myself as informed as possible, Thanks again for all your help xx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!