Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cyproheptadine / Periactin (Read 1267 times)
monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Cyproheptadine / Periactin
May 5th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Was just looking up cyproheptadine (which my cat got a script for) - looks like it might be a good preventive med for clusters.

"Cyproheptadine is an antihistaminic/anticholinergic and antiserotonergic agent. It acts as a 5-HT2 receptor antagonist as well and also blocks calcium channels."

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Cyproheptadine / Periactin
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2010 at 7:02pm

One of it's already listed uses is preventing migrains.....damn....who'd of thought you could learn stuff from a cat!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2010 at 8:29pm

Does sound good...and makes sense it is a migraine drug. During my early ch career that type was all I was ever prescribed (is it any different now?). My Docs used to run from the exam office to read up on what they knew nothing about.

It's been 20 yrs or so since I tried Periactin. Did nothing for me...YMMV.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:29pm

Periactin / Cyproheptadine, like Jon, was one of the first meds I was given back maybe 30 years ago. May have helped a little in the early days before things got rough.

Back when CH was sometimes refered to as histamine headaches.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2010 at 10:32pm by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2010 at 1:19am

I was prescribed Periactin during the course of two separate CH cycles when I was first diagnosed.  (late sixties, perhaps 1970 or so).  Did nothing at all, as far as I could tell--good, bad, or indifferent.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!