Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi...New and a little scared (Read 5144 times)
Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hi...New and a little scared
May 4th, 2010 at 7:48pm

Hi, I am Erin, a 39 year old female recently diagnosed with Cluster Headaches.  I just recently returned from 8 weeks of living hell....I've done my research, many many many pages of information.  And it's funny to me, that most of the medical information that I read says this condition usually inflicts men, but I am not a man, so, I guess I am unique so to speak. 

I remember the exact day that I felt different, March 3rd.  I am a migraine suffer have been since I was itty bitty, but I knew this was something different, something horribly different.  My right eye was getting redder and redder, swelling as if someone just punched me in the face.  I had zero felling in my right cheek and I thought big ben was ringing in my right ear, then the pain came.  This unbelievable agonizing pain.  I could barely remain on my feet it hurt so bad, I was crying and crying, begging for peace! I went to my doctor he said oh your having a migraine, and I was like no no this isn't a migraine I know what my migraines feel like and this isn't it.... so he diagnoised me the BPV and some wicked ear infection...gave me a prescription and sent me on my way...nothing helped...my poor husband so helpless to help me...the mere touch of anyone made it worse...countless times to the ER begging for relief, begging crying, getting madder and madder because no one would listen.  Something was terribly wrong...I was yelling, PLEASE make it stop...the pain was so bad I couldn't breath, my heart was racing, my blood pressure through the roof, they thought I had a brain bleed or was having a stroke...needles, CT scans, MRI's, spinal taps, meds that made me sicker or were to expensive I couldn't afford them... 8 weeks! Of torture or torment...with little peace between.  Yesterday was the first day that I was able to actually get out of bed and be upright for more then a second....I hit my knees the thanked the lord for the relief...but, I know, there is going to be a next time... I yesterday looked at the calender, and I totally lost April.  I don't recall much of it bits and pieces and stories I hear from my husband and mom...but I suppose its a blessing that I don't remember....I know that there is going to be a next time, and I am so very scared...I don't recognize the person in the mirror that is looking back at me.  I asked myself when did I become to old... I feel like I am about 300 years old, but day by day my strength is coming back... I am just scared of the next time... when, when how it's going to hit me... I haven't driven my car in 2 months, I lost my job, and am now having to search for new employment with this hanging over my head...  Embarrassed it's just a scary time for me and I feel so very sad for my husband.  All he wants to do is help, but nothing he can do... Cry I hope that as I learn more of this condition I learn better ways of coping, alternative ways of maintenance...something to not make me feel like I have just been sentenced to a life of pain and suffering at 39 years of age....

Thank you for listening... Smiley and I hope to learn from all of you and hope to feel like I am not so alone...

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: Hi...New and a little scared
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:22pm

Hey erin,

Welcome, I have cluster headaches too. Yep their a bitch. Do u use oxygen? I can beat down a cluster in less than 5 minutes. There are many other tips of the so called trade you will learn here to make this shit a little easyier to live with.

Dont be scared, The beast is one powerfull thing, and it hurts like hell. But respect it dont fear it.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:37pm

Thanks Bill, no I haven't used O2 yet, as I have just recently been diagnosed with this awfulness a couple weeks ago, 6 weeks of other off the wall diagnoses from none listening to the patiant doctors.
My neuro has me on verapamil twice a day atm... it doesn't settle well with my body, makes me sorta sick, but I have been taking it like a good girl... more like a scared girl just hoping to avoid... I used to dread my migraines, but to be honest here, I would rather have 100 migraines to one of the monster that seems to reside in my head rent free... but, I have come to the conclusion that I need to just accept and get on with it...find something that works...I need to stop being nice to my doctors and tell them "HEY you work for me! this is what I need so let's get on with it!" hehee hmmm let's see how that goes over with a neurologist?? Is O2 expensive, I did lose my job over this last bout, and no insurance so self pay is the only way to go... for now anyway, pain free, and trying not to worry myself to death!

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2010 at 9:28pm

Hi Erin,

I've seen several people here report that they just get their O2 from their local welding supply place (no prescription necessary), it isn't very expensive, and it is the same exact O2 you'd get from a medical supply place. Just make sure to follow instructions found at the the oxygen info link to the left of this webpage to the letter, for best chance of success.

There are also folks who've been having impressive success trading this CH beast in for some serious relief gained through some unlikely non toxic mushrooms. Clinical trials regarding this are underway at Harvard medical and in Europe, there was a lot of coverage of it in a recent National Geographic special, and a very good article devoted to it recently in Newsweek.

Here's a link to the Newsweek article - it may be worth reading all the way through for you:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2010 at 11:47pm

Hi Erin,

There are many ways that can make your CH cycles a lot more bearable than you describe and its important that you tackle the beast head on with a sensible treatment strategy. Regrettably, CH is here to stay and the best we can do right now is manage the condition. This however is very much possible.

It's a myth that only men are afflicted with CH. At least 30% of sufferers are female. You are therefore not alone or the odd one out.

Transitional Treatment: Discuss with your doctor the option of a prednisone taper. Pred is generally taken at the very onset of the cycle in combination with your preventative med of choice. Typical dosages start at 60-80mg a day, tapering down by 10mg daily until zero. During this time you should be pain free, buying you time for your prevent to build up to therapeutic levels (most of them take 2 weeks or more to reach therapeutic level). Upon tapering down the prednisone the pain is very likely to return, unless you have taken a prevent simultaneously.

Preventative Treatment: The prevents of choice here are Verapamil, Topamax and Lithium. Discuss with your doctor what the most suitable option and dosage is for you. Alternative / supplementary prevents include Melatonin (for nighttime hits), Kudzu and various others that you can read about here. Additionally, Clusterbusters.com describes a treatment range that has proven successful for many.

Abortive Treatment: O2 at flow rates of 15 lpm is the abortive of choice (also inexpensive in comparison to its alternatives). Read the Oxygen Info tab on the left for instructions on how to obtain and use it. Imitrex injections or nasal spray are the mobile, second line abortive. Expensive but effective. A more economic alternative is Olanzapine. Equally effective but much cheaper. Zomig pills are fairly ineffective if taken at the onset of an attack, for they take too long to kick in. Notwithstanding, if your attacks are very consistent at set times, Zomig pills, if taken 45 min to an hour before "showtime" can also be effective. They are considerably cheaper than injections or nasal spray.

Many here use energy drinks (combination of taurine and caffeine). If they dont abort the attack they often lessen the pain levels significantly.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010 at 5:13am

You gain leverage with docs when you give them medical literature which support your requests for specific treatments. Print out these two articles.
=======

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]
----------
And the PDF file below.
==

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive
and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
============================================

ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
60 Revere Dr, Suite 330
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:43am

Well Neuro and Bob have given you your required reading. As you have already discovered, you suffer from a rare ailment. It behooves you to educate yourself, and form a partnership with your doc to plan an attack.

The Vearapamil is a very common first line prevent, shows the doc does have some idea what he's doing. As Neuro mentioned, it's often started with a prednisone taper as it takes as long as 10-14 days to really become effective.

As far as abortives, what you take when the headache starts. Oxygen should be first line. My insurance, Kaiser, wouldn't cover it for many years. So I paid out of pocket. $4.25 a month to rent an E-tank, $13 each refill. So once your verapamil takes effect, even if you're still getting several hits a week, you're out less then $20. Regulators can be purchased off the internet for fairly cheap. But check with your insurance as more and more are covering it now.

Welcome to the board, wishing you some peace soon.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2010 at 11:33am

Hi Erin, welcome to our crazy world.  Doesn't have to be painful and if you follow the suggestions and try out the different stuff on this site then you will have a dramatically different 'next time'. 

Problem is, they go away for a year or 2 (sometime more, sometimes less).  We forget about them and when we get hit again, we are unprepared.  If you think your cycle is over then read a lot and gather your arsenal.  It will be hard to figure much out now because it sounds like you have only had 1 cycle.  After a few more, you will be a master of your destiny once again!

Check out the 'shadow period' that people talk about.  It is the week or 2 of pressure in the same place as an attack.  This usually forecasts your cycle.  I have been able to feel that better the last few years (because I have been looking for it) and I know when to dose with my 'meds'.  A stray one or 2 doesn't mean anything for me, but 4 or 5 in a row and I am getting ready for my cycle.

Have your arsenal ready!  Never get caught without your medicine, oxygen, redbull, mushrooms whatever.  Go live your life and enjoy it (yes, normalcy will come back) just have your bag of tricks ready. 

Thank your husband and bring him to this site.  Awesome supporters live here.  Let us know what you need, we can help.

Angry (frowny face guy says "welcome back from the dead, next time we counter attack!)

--Shaggy

ps, since you are new I feel obligated to say that the medical community has been mediocre at best in its cluster-care.  If you think the diagnosis is accurate, you have to take your health into your own hands.  If you want a prescription for something people do here, you will have to push it with your doc.  If you want to seek 'self-help', then skip the doc's and do what works for you.  It is your pain, don't let the ER doc make the decisions (they never took this class in school).

IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2010 at 11:39am

I had had a relative smooth pain free day yesterday... very relieved I have to add...still a little weak from 8 weeks of hell...so I settle in last night, ready for some sweet sleep, snuggling with my husband, he falls asleep, and finally I fall asleep only to be yanked out of a deep sleep 2 hours later with the pain starting all over again! I literally jumped out of bed, while doing this stepping on my husband, sounds funny now, but not so funny at 1am... I was saying omg omg not again please please not again...begging and begging...my husband saying breath breath breath... I was like shut the hell up I am breathing..get away from me! I take a verapamil in hopes to make it easier, down a few mt dews, and sit in my recliner just tears and asking what I had done to deserve this, and pleading and bartering with god to stop the madness!  430 am...I feel it going away, slowly draining out my ear down my neck.... I had only been pain free from my last attack less than 48 hours, and hadn't had time to get my supplies that you wonderful people had suggested...I was at the mercy of time last night.... I literally crawl back in bed, fell asleep and was up again at 7am.... first thing I did was instantly text message my husband to beg forgiveness for my ugly behavior last night...and his reply, I love you! Get some rest my sweet girl! I was mean and awful and he just melted me this morning and made me so grateful that he was so understanding...oh, and we also going to shopping after he gets home from work to get some things for the 'next' visit...omg, I hope I will be free of this longer then 48 hours this time.... please!!!!  Cry my poor body and mind are so beat and bruised and so very tired.... i so want to nap, but am so afraid to be napping and wake up to this monster living in my head and being by myself....  Undecided it's just not a good day...

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2010 at 11:53am

Verapamil will not help you abort an attack, but instead needs to be taken continuously and regularly at the dosage prescribed by your doctor in order to prevent them or to lessen the intensity.

Napping generally is a bad idea, despite the exhaustion from a hellish night. It's a trigger for many during a cycle.

I hope that the hits you are experiencing are the beast slowly saying goodbye.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2010 at 11:59am

This is per Marc.  Get educated and get on board.

Potter

IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2010 at 12:01pm

I've taken it like the dr has instructed me to take it...I am having a really hard time with the side effects, it makes me extremely sick, but I have been taking them anyway... I am so very tired I have to keep getting up moving around just not to fall asleep...I have had two pots of coffee and I am still so very sleepy..... i have the TV going, Radio on downstairs just for the noise... my poor dogs probably think I am insane LOL but, I'll do whatever I have to not to nap!  Angry

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #12 - May 5th, 2010 at 12:31pm

Hi Erin,

Your husband is one heckuva fella!  Smiley

2 things about your experience last night:

1) That sux.

2) That bloze.

Sorry to hear you're still getting hit. I wonder if the Verapamil may be responsible for giving you that 48 hour break? If so, that could be a bit of an encouraging trend.

In the meantime, while you're getting your heavyweight beast bashing arsenal together, a couple things to consider:

Lots of CH'ers find that chugging energy drinks like Red Bull at onset work better than M Dew etc., because they contain copious quantities of both caffeine and taurine.

One way to get a lot of O2 into the system real quick is to launch some extremely vigorous sprint type exercise, pretty much til you drop. If done at onset of attack, this will abort the hit for some of us some of the time.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2010 at 5:18pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #13 - May 5th, 2010 at 1:12pm

I'm a nurse case manager in an inner city hospital, there are several ways you can get help with affording medications:

1. Whenever you are prescribed a drug, do an online search for that drug + coupon, for example, for Sumavel Injectors (Imitrex needleless injector), there is a coupon available for $35 off the precription. Treximet has $25 off for up to 4 prescriptions. ALWAYS do a search prior to going to the pharmacy, type in the search the drug name + coupon and you'll find quite of the few common drugs have discount programs.

2. Check the drug manufacturer website for patient assistance programs. For example, this is a link to GlaxoSmithKline: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Don't be afraid to call - it doesn't take long and you'll be surprised how many people DO qualify for assistance.

3. Check your state's assistance programs. In Nevada, there is TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) that assist with medications, medical care, etc.

Don't just go without because you think there are no options for affording medication.

And here's my other little speech on affording: I've found a lot of people CAN afford medications but just don't want to PAY for them. Not saying that's your case, but if it takes eliminating cable, cutting off a cell phone, or any other of life's amenities that we don't NEED to survive, do it. Your health should be of prime importance.

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

LaurieM
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Durham, NC
Reply #14 - May 6th, 2010 at 12:21am

Hi, Erin,

It sounds like you've been through 8 weeks of hell, and you are not only still hanging in there, but you a great advocate for yourself.  Good for you!

My husband used to get very alarmed when I had an attack.  It's very scary to watch a loved one in that much pain.  I think it's tougher on husband supporters, because they want to do something specific to help out.  Let him know that even though you may have very severe pain, you will be 100% OK once the headache ends.  Before your next HA, figure out a plan of action about what specifically you will do and what you want your husband to do to help when you start getting am attack.  For example, while you get on the O2, your husband could bring you an ice pack or Red Bull, and then leave you alone until you let him know your attack is over.  My husband helps me "change" my O2 tanks when they get low, and used to pick up refills from our local welding supply store.

Looking for a new job must be really tough when you are getting so many bad hits.  Things will get better once you get a better abortant (definitely O2, plus probably imitrex shots).  For your new job, if you get daytime HA, you can get a portable O2 E-tank (small, about 6 "doses" for me) on wheels or imitrex shots to take to work during your cycle.

CH makes me feel a little scared too.  This is normal and OK.  What helps me the most is having a feeling of taking charge of my cycle.  I keep a calendar (on paper or on an Excel spreadsheet) of my headaches, to track them over time.  This helps me figure out when my cycle will start/end, what time of night my HA will occur, and what treatments work.

Take care
Laurie

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2010 at 9:34am

What Laurie said! 30 years ago when these things were routinely kicking my ass, I never talked about them with my wife, shut her out of the whole treatment plan. She had lost a father to cancer and was convinced she was going to be a young widow due to my brain tumor!

Fast forward 30 years...now the queen takes care of ordering all my meds, making sure we always have too much oxygen on hand, an extra regulator "just in case"! When she sees (or hears me) grabbing the tank and firing it off she brings me a Red Bull and leaves me alone. She's become a part of this board and the OUCH board. Encourage the hubby to stop by and peruse the board. It's helped us a LOT!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - May 7th, 2010 at 7:02pm

I appreciate everyone who has replied to me and for making me feel so welcome and giving me all this information.  It's a lot to take in, but at least now I  know where I can go to look for answers. 

I have to say, I HATE my Neurologist! Absolutely can't stand the man.  Here's what I am up agaisnt and I hope that the veterens out there can give me a bit of advice... The Neurologist that I see was chosen for me because he just happened to be on call that night that I had to go to the ER.  He had me to all these tests, Lumbar Puncture, CT, 2 MRI's and he still hasn't returned any of my calls with results...that was 2 weeks ago.  I call his service when he is closed when I am just so out of options out of meds, out of ideas, no call, I have to call the service at least 3 times to beg please have him call  me this isn't funny!  Nothing...then I get a bill in the mail for a visit to his office for when I called his service...really? dude are you freaking kidding me?? So, now I sit, still not feeling very well, and I can't get him to call me...so, I call my reg doctor, he said you get yourself in my office first thing Tuesday...I thank the good lord for this man, he has saved me so many times... but here's the kick in the ass, I lost my job because of this thing, and so not only do I NOT have insurance, I don't have the funds to go to new neurologist and I am not really sure my primary can really treat this if he doesn't get it?? So, I thought, I'll just print some info to bring with me, suggestions, medications, whatnot, then I was like holy crap that's a lot of info to get into a 30 minute dr. visit.  I know how important it is to find the right dr who will listen to me and who can understand, but I just am lost as to where to go....because, on a scale of 1 to 10 for the neuro I have no, it's an epic failure! I mean he doesn't even rate...The medicine he has me taking is making me so sick! My body just can't tolerate it..but, I am so deathly afraid to stop taking it because I am on day 3 of pain free and really really don't think I could stand another attack....I am so very tired.... but, on a good note, being laid up for 2 months has done wonders for my hair, its never been healthier!! Grin 2 months of wash, dry, pony tail... any suggestions would be forever appreciated....Thank you!!

IP Logged

LaurieM
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Durham, NC
Reply #17 - May 7th, 2010 at 8:44pm

Erin,

You really do need to work with a good neuro to get a diagnosis and  to get the right long term prevents.  Long term prevents are tricky and very individual.  If you don't like your neuro, others here can (and I'm sure will) give you better advice about finding a new good neuro than I can.  Tell us what state or city you live in.

But you don't need to wait for your neuro to respond to you to get started with effective abortive treatments.  Do you have a good family doctor?  I have a great family doctor and just tell her what I need.  They may be able to prescribe injectable imatrex for you.  In some states you can get oxygen from welding supply stores, while others require you to get a doctor's prescription.  In North Carolina, I was able to get O2 from a welding supply, no prescription.  In California, I get my O2 prescription  from my family doctor, then work with an oxygen provider (Lincare) to get my canisters.  I provide my own mask and regulator.  Tell your family doctor to prescribe 15 liters/minute (you can always use less if that works for you - I use 10 l/min).  You will likely be told you don't need that high a flow rate, but you need to keep insisting that you do need it.  You will want to order a regulator on-line that goes to at least 15 liters/minute, and also order a non-rebreather mask with a bag (Cluster mask).  Read the section here on "OXYGEN INFO" and ask your husband to help you with this project.  Print out the info and take it to your family doctor.

Melatonin works for some people (like me) as a prevent for nighttime headaches, especially if you cycle seasonally.  It's cheap, safe, and over the counter.  This site recommends you start at 3 mg about 45 minutes or an hour before bedtime, then increase every 5 days by 3mg up to 15mg or until your nighttime headaches stop.  For example, I have short-cycle seasonal CH and respond at 6mg.

Laurie

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #18 - May 7th, 2010 at 9:36pm

'Ol Shaggy says, check out Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

These stories are always so sad to me.  There are other options other than the medical runaround, nausea and severe side effects.  Some people have much better luck with the medical community than you are experiencing, but your story is very common here.  Sad

Check out the site.    Cool

--Shaggy

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #19 - May 7th, 2010 at 9:55pm

Hi Erin, My name is Donna Mae. I'm a newby here and just winding down from my 1st cycle that began Dec. 20. I know just what you're going through right now and so does everyone else here. It totally sucks! The fear can be overwhelming in the beginning and the helpless feeling as well. It's a process we all go through I'm afraid while we try to figure this thing out.
     Thankfully, I found this site and found I wasn't the only one living this hell. You're not alone.  You've been given alot of good advice and information. It just takes time to find the right meds and the right doctor that will help. I hope your PC Doc can steer you in the right direction. Finding the right Doc is also a process.
      Start a headache journal of you haven't yet. Record in it daily all through your cycle. Take it with you to all your apps. Very important.
     And please.....Hang in there!!! It will get better.....You will get your life back.....I'm just coming back finally after nearly 5 months.
     Keep us updated with your progress. We all care and will try to get you through.
Donna Mae

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Erin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - May 8th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Thanks you guys!  I do have a great primary doctor, who over the last couple of months has saved me from myself.  I go see him first thing Tuesday!  As far as where I live, I live in Salt Lake City, Utah!  Where it's still winter! Boo!!  Feeling good this morning, hoping it last's more then a minute, but, too, I haven't taken that terrible Verapamil yet today either... If anyone knows of a great neuro that in Salt Lake would you please let me know.... and Thanks!!!

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #21 - May 8th, 2010 at 12:25pm

Erin wrote on May 7th, 2010 at 7:02pm:
I lost my job because of this thing, and so not only do I NOT have insurance....

You still qualify for COBRA (this continues your medical insurance through your employer, you pay the premium) - it's good for up to 18 months after you lose your health insurance and under a recent initiative by the government it pays up to 60% of the COBRA cost.

You have quite a few resources in Utah for prescription assistance also:

Sometimes all it takes is a phone call, you'd be surprised how much assistance is out there that no one taps into!

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #22 - May 8th, 2010 at 12:40pm

AdoreInVegas wrote on May 8th, 2010 at 12:25pm:
Erin wrote on May 7th, 2010 at 7:02pm:
I lost my job because of this thing, and so not only do I NOT have insurance....

You still qualify for COBRA (this continues your medical insurance through your employer, you pay the premium) - it's good for up to 18 months after you lose your health insurance and under a recent initiative by the government it pays up to 60% of the COBRA cost.

You have quite a few resources in Utah for prescription assistance also:

Sometimes all it takes is a phone call, you'd be surprised how much assistance is out there that no one taps into!

Good info. but You have to want to get help and be proactive before it happens.

Potter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!