Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ALL CH'ers NEED TO READ AND SIGN.. URGENT!! (Read 1676 times)
LeLimey
Ex Member

ALL CH'ers NEED TO READ AND SIGN.. URGENT!!
May 4th, 2010 at 4:29pm

This could just be the most important thing any of us ever do for people with CH.

Hello, we have been instructed to initiate a ACTION REQUIRED FOR CMS REIMBURSEMENT COVERAGE FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE PATIENTS.

A Formal Request for a National Coverage Assessment at CMS (Medicare) was filed on 4/9/2010 by Dr. Fred Sheftell, MD, President, American Headache Society and Dr. Robert C. Griggs, MD, FAAN, President, American Academy of Neurology. 

The goal of this National Coverage Assessment request is to overturn the present non-coverage determination on oxygen therapy for Medicare beneficiaries who suffer from cluster headaches. Comments from Neurologists who treat Cluster Headache sufferers as well as the Cluster Headache sufferers themselves who use high flow oxygen therapy have a vested interest in this coverage.   

This formal request is in part due to the latest evidence of High Flow Oxygen for the treatment of Cluster Headache. You can find this summary article from Neurology Now.  This article provides additional perspectives from some of the Nation's top neurologists specializing in the treatment of the acute and chronic Cluster Headache.  They list oxygen therapy as the first intervention of choice for the Cluster Headache due to its safety and effectiveness in aborting the most severe pain known to the medical profession. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Should you agree with thousands of oxygen prescribers and users of High Flow Oxygen for the treatment of Cluster Headache please find the link below to the CMS page announcing the NCA for Home Use of Oxygen to Treat Cluster Headache (CAG-00296R).  The comment period runs from 4/9/2010 to 5/9/2010. It is urgent to act today before the comment period is closed.   

Go to this link now for comment:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

fightguy
CH.com Junior

Mesa, Arizona
Re: ALL CH'ers NEED TO READ AND SIGN.. URGENT!!
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2010 at 9:07pm

What are we supposed to write? Just that we encourage the use of O2 for CH?

WWW 1775274236  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2010 at 9:20pm

Here are two examples of posts..

Quote:
Oxygen at 15 LPM is a very effective treatment for Cluster Headaches. It acts faster than triptans for many sufferers and without the heart racing associated with triptans for many.

Oxygen is an effective abortive for people who cannot use triptans owing to heart attacks or other conditions that preclude the use of triptans.

Oxygen is also an effective and safe treatment for children suffering from Cluster Headaches who are too young to be prescribed triptans.

Quote:
"I urge Medicare to cover home oxygen therapy for cluster headache sufferers, especially in lieu of the study published in the December 9th edition of the JAMA. Providers and patients have long known the benefit of using home oxygen to abort cluster headaches safely and effectively, but sadly, many cluster patients cannot receive home oxygen due to current restrictions by CMS.
It needs to be regarded as the standard of care for first line intervention during an attack."

Their posting policy is strict. You can't post anything personal so you need to make everything third party. Using the above as a reference might help you with what to write - but do write! It's so important for all of us

IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2010 at 10:05pm

thanks for the thread!

DONE!!!!

DONNA MAE

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2010 at 7:14am

Done

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus

...PF since Oct.'02, thanks
to ClusterBusters...

Austin|USA|Texas
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:42am

done!

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me...This will not kill ME..

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:04pm

done

Scott

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:50pm

The whole Hippus Act 3rd party thing made it interesting....but done!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

gore2424
CH.com Alumnus

What the hamsalad was
that ?¿?

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:56pm

I'm such an IDIOT I did it and didnt read it just glanced and gave out too much info I believe. I am sorry if this didnt help the cause. Terry   Embarrassed

I said your hair looks nice Ü

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #9 - May 6th, 2010 at 1:09am

Done.

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - May 6th, 2010 at 9:36am

done

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2010 at 10:05am

I'd like to mention a side note to this discussion - while it focuses on Medicare/Medicaid coverage, I would ask that everyone please remember that Tricare, the military health care coverage, is based on Medicare.

If Medicare refuses coverage, so will Tricare, and there are a high number of active duty, retirees and veterans in our midst, as well as their family members.  They would all lose their home oxygen coverage.

Our service men and women and their families deserve better.

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!