Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I am hyperventilating with 02 (Read 1403 times)
vinrock_21
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I am hyperventilating with 02
May 3rd, 2010 at 5:00pm

First I was taking  O2 at 15lpm one night and it woked like a charm for 15min.  Then I went to bed and 2hrs later my cluser came back.  I got on 02 for another 20min and it worked great.  I went to sleep and all was well.   Well the next day at about 4pm I had a anxiety attach and started to hyperventiate.  I had to go to  ER it go so bad.  They said I just need to calm down and control my breathing, do the paper bag thing.   

So I left the O2 alone for 24 hours and I didn't have a CH attack! (yay)  Then last night I had a CH attach and got on oxyegen for only 5 mins and then began to get dizzy and felt like I needed to faint.   The tank was on the end of it's life this time and may not have been givin' 15lm?  But then again, when it was full, i hyperventilated big time the next day. can anyone tell me what's wrong? I don't want to abort the headache just to fill like Im going into shock later.  Also, I kept breathing into a brown paper bag over over and over, and over again to no help.  can someone explain what had happened?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: I am hyperventilating with 02
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:10pm

No doctor here. I have used 02 for many years as an abortive. I deep breathe and do get a little light headed and tingly, but nothing even near to having to do the paper bag deal to stop it.

My guess is that you're spinning up at the thought of a cluster attack......very understandable.......and that's causing the anxiety attack/hyper ventilation issue.

Again I am not a doctor, just a CH'er who uses 02 a lot without any issues. Really hope you can get it worked out, 02 has been a god send for me. I drink an energy drink....sugar free red bull......when I start the oxygen. Seems to prevent the come back attack when I shut off the 02. I used to use oral cafergot for that until someone on the board suggested I try energy drinks. If the come backers continue might be worth a try.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2010 at 11:24pm

Joe is right, O2 should not cause the symptoms you are having. What type of mask are you using? A NON-rebreather with a bag is required, or a demand valve.

CH attacks can cause major anxiety, I get that too. It helps having the best treatments that can very from person to person. Are you taking any preventatives and other abortives?

We're here to help but we need to know what you're doing for your CH at present.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 4:55am

Quote:
I am hyperventilating with 02

vinrock_21 wrote on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:00pm:
They said I just need to calm down and control my breathing, ...

Then last night I had a CH attach and got on oxyegen for only 5 mins and then began to get dizzy and felt like I needed to faint.   The tank was on the end of it's life this time and may not have been givin' 15lm?  But then again, when it was full, i hyperventilated big time the next day.

Try breathing in just a normal, calm fashion, breaths just slightly deeper than normal respiration that can be maintained indefinitely with natural feeling, not like as if at heightened physical activity.  As long as your intake is all 100% oxygen with a non-rebreather, removing the mask to exhale, slow and steady may get the job done without raising any coexisting crisis-like functioning .     Smiley

IP Logged

vinrock_21
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:41am

Well, to answer some of your guys' questions, I was using a rebreather mask and using 15lpm.  However, I ended up in the emergency room twice so far.  The first time was just out of the blue and I hyperventilated big time, even went into body spasms.  They took my cat scan but said I had no major brain problems but did find a sinus infection.  It looks like I've had a sinus infection for two weeks now without taking care of it for two weeks.  I'm on antibotics now.  I'm on week three and actually, I think my clusters might be going away!!!! (I have never had them longer than 3 weeks ever so this is normal for me).

However, I went to the ER a second time, and it was immediately after using 15lpm with the mask and 3am.  I just started getting dizzy and light headed, and couldn't slow my breathing.  At the ER they said I am having anxiety/panic attacks.  They gave me xanax. 

Now for the last 4 days, I have been waking up in the middle of the night panicing for no reason.  Sometimes I think I still have a tumor they didn't find, sometimes I'm just afraid to go into spasms again and go to the ER again, and sometimes I'm just afraid of the dark/night because those were when my really really bad clusters would hit.

Anyone ever get anxiety after clusters??  This is the first time I have ever had this happen to me.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010 at 3:56pm

If your mask has a bag it's a NONREBREATHER and that's good, if it doesn't have a bag it's a REBREATHER and pretty much worthless for CH.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2010 at 7:48am

Hey vinrock-21,

Anxiety attacks are very possible during oxygen therapy at flow rates up to 15 liters/minute when breathing is constrained by the non-rebreathing mask and the level of physical activity is high.

When the total minute volume of lung ventilation is constrained by a non-rebreathing mask at these flow rates and there is any increase in physical activity as is typical for the cluster headache sufferer at the higher pain levels, the partial pressure of arterial CO2 (PaCO2) will rise as a result of the increased physical activity/metabolism.  This can easily drive the respiratory system into hypercapnia (too much CO2), respiratory acidosis, and a depressed pH.

These conditions can easily trigger anxiety and panic attacks with spontaneous hyperventilation as another of the possible results.

Take care and heck your PM for further info.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2010 at 7:48am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!