Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
History of Alcohol Use & Clusters? (Read 1212 times)
AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
History of Alcohol Use & Clusters?
May 2nd, 2010 at 4:44pm

It's known consumption of alcohol can trigger an attack. What hubby & I are wondering is if there is any data/information on CH evolving from a history of alcohol consumption?

More specifically, he partied like a rock star from age 17 through 37, hasn't touched a drop for going on 12 years. First CH happened at age 47 (he's 48 now). Has had no other health problems, ever.  The neurologist mentioned the "party years" could have "predisposed" him to clusters at this point in his life. Has anyone else heard of or experienced this?
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2010 at 4:46pm by AdoreInVegas »  

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: History of Alcohol Use & Clusters?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2010 at 4:57pm

Can't comment on anything to do with clusterheads in general, but I started with CH when I was 13. 

Never had any alcohol until I was 19.  (Legal age back then.)  Never used any tobacco until I was 20 or so. 

Nevertheless, I was a full-blown episodic with cycles twice a year by the time I was 16. 

I realize that personal experience in particular is not really relevant to statistical phenomena in general, but it does tend to cause me to look at the occasional finger-pointing at tobacco use and/or alcohol use as a precipitating factor of CH by the medical profession with a somewhat jaundiced eye. 

The question I always want to ask is...okay...HOW does it bring on CH?

Best,

George
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2010 at 5:02pm by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2010 at 5:07pm

AdoreInVegas wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 4:44pm:
It's known consumption of alcohol can trigger an attack. What hubby & I are wondering is if there is any data/information on CH evolving from a history of alcohol consumption?

More specifically, he partied like a rock star from age 17 through 37, hasn't touched a drop for going on 12 years. First CH happened at age 47 (he's 48 now). Has had no other health problems, ever.  The neurologist mentioned the "party years" could have "predisposed" him to clusters at this point in his life. Has anyone else heard of or experienced this?

Yeah, I've both heard of and experienced Doctors making assinine statements like this one....that was your question right?  I know that alcohol is a definate trigger for me in cycle but IMHO this docs statement is just so much BS!!!

DD

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2010 at 5:24pm

Neurologist = schmuck.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2010 at 5:49pm

My personal experience, a little binge drinking in high school days, nothing to write home about. Ch started around then, but that is realized only in hind sight as it was very mild back then.

Fast Forward to age 50. Off cycle I love my bourbons, micro brew beers and red wines. On cycle they can be brutaly intense triggers.

I hate to paint with a broad brush but does this sound familiar to anyone?

1: Lose 15 pounds.
2: Stop Smoking
3: Stop Drinking.

I think thay ALL have been saying this for so long it has become an almost cure all for whatever ails you!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2010 at 6:20pm

Yep...time to get a new Dr.  This one doesn't have a clue.  Some times what these doctors have told us is almost funny if it wasn't for the fact that we are hurting and want and need to be treated correctly.

Women are told they CAN"T have CH because they're not men.
stop the caffeine and smoking
these are caused by stress
these are caused by head trauma
CH can be treated with chiro and, or accupuncture.
I could go on....

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2010 at 12:29pm

Woops, looks like you've encountered an all too typical ignoramo-doofus neurologist there.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:52am

George wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 4:57pm:
I realize that personal experience in particular is not really relevant to statistical phenomena in general, but it does tend to cause me to look at the occasional finger-pointing at tobacco use and/or alcohol use as a precipitating factor of CH by the medical profession with a somewhat jaundiced eye. 

The question I always want to ask is...okay...HOW does it bring on CH?

That's a good question - and I don't think anyone has a definite answer ... our biochemistry is too complex. But here are some good possibilities.

Nicotine strongly interacts with serotonin-2 receptors - the same receptors that psilocybin and other clusterbusters work on. But while clusterbusters seem to push a 'reset button' for that receptor system, nicotine is more like 'jamming the ON button' ... nicotine stimulates the serotonin-2 receptors in a way that is opposite to kudzu.  Chronic nicotine use also turns down the genes for producing serotonin transporter proteins. Long term use of nicotine also increases the activity of calcium channels (an effect that is just the opposite of verapamil) and disturbs TRP ions channels (which also seem to be involved in CH).  All in all, there are lots of indications that nicotine and some key parts of the serotonin system don't get along very well, and that we may be the ones to suffer as a result.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

All of these disturbances can happen even if a person has never used nicotine in their life. But tobacco seems to guarantee these disturbances. It does seem to increase the odds of cluster pain, although it alone is not enough and requires other malfunctions in the body.

As far as the idea that previous heavy drinking might increase the odds of developing clusters ... maybe, but not much information to support that idea. At this point, not much that can be done about it anyway, so it is not a useful theory. There is no evidence that moderate alcohol consumption out of cycle increases the risk of clusters, although chronic heavy caffeine use could definitely be a factor for some people IMO.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2010 at 10:34am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:59am

George wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 4:57pm:
Can't comment on anything to do with clusterheads in general, but I started with CH when I was 13. 

Ditto on this.  Never drank till I was 18.  CH started @ 16 for me. 

In response to Vegas, time to get a new doc with that kind explanation.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2010 at 11:02am by Chad »  

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!