Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings from Sin City! (Read 1419 times)
AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Greetings from Sin City!
Apr 30th, 2010 at 3:09pm

Greetings all! I'm Adore here in Las Vegas, supporter. Hubby has had CH+migraines since July of 2009. We can actually pinpoint the DAY they started - July 4th at a party. We don't drink and no recreational drugs. He started having double vision that day. He was 47 years old at the time and that night he woke up about 2 hours after the double vision with a headache that left him crying in agony. It woke me up because he started sniffing a lot and when the light was on his right eye was watering. Shortly afterwards he said it felt like fingers running down from the right side of his scalp into his jaw... then it felt like his jaw was being "torn up like oral surgery" and expected his mouth to be full of blood.

He's been healthy all of his life so this was quite the ordeal! Anyway, to make a long painful story short, after 4 doctors and two hospitalizations for IV DHE later, we seem to be on the right track. I say "we" because we are in this together. I am a registered nurse, case manager by trade, but in his treatment WIFE first.

Hubby (Paul) is a carpenter/handyman and has been disabled by this horrific thing. We've started the application for disability and thankfully have FINALLY found a neurologist in Vegas who seems to know what he is doing and is thoroughly knowledgeable of this disease. Paul is still having about 2 attacks a day with some shadows, but he reports it's much more manageable with the following:

Maintenance:
Verapamil ER 240 mg three times a day
Depakote 500 mg, two at night

Attack-mode:
O2 at 15 liters for 15 minutes
Imitrex injection (the new air injector thingie, 6 mg a shot)

We are both so thankful for this website and finding others who know what he is going through. I hope for a pain-free 2010 and beyond for everyone!

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Greetings from Sin City!
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 4:47pm

Given your medical background, a single good source of med material:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
60 Revere Dr, Suite 330
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

and explore the whole site......

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:09pm

Excellent! Thank you!

IP Logged

stolerz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2010 at 5:50am

Hello,

I'm a sufferer, but there's not a day goes by when I don't realise the kindess and love that my fantastic wife shows me, despite having to deal with these damn things in her own way.  I just want to say that all of you who give your support are brilliant and appreciated so much.  I'm sure your hubby lets you know that all the time, but I gotta mention it.
Cheers to you!  (With a non-alcoholic drink, of course)
x

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - May 1st, 2010 at 11:20am

First off, bless your heart for being a supporter! My wife found this board for me and saved my sanity!

Sounds like you got really lucky on your neuro as he does sound like he knows what he's doing! Is the oxygen through a Non Re Breather Mask? They work much better and much quicker then the re breathers's as your lungs get the 100% 02 they need.

I used the imitrex stat pens forever and they worked great. This last time my new neuro prescribed the air injectors, apparently they're a bit pricier cuz my insurance said no so I'm back to the stat pen injector again!

Welcome to the board, hope the end of the cycle is in sight.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2010 at 10:07pm

The O2 MUST be with a NON-rebreather mask with a bag on it. Anything else is not the right stuff for CH.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2010 at 1:00pm

Ordered the non-rebreather mask through this site last week, just waiting for it to arrive!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:04pm

Adore, check your private message inbox, I also reside in Las Vegas.

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:49pm

Welcome Adore!

First of all, thank you for being the wonderful supporter that you are to Paul.  Without our supporters, us clusterheads would be lost.

There is so much information available on this site that may help you and Paul.  And, there is also so much support on this site for both sufferers and supporters alike.

Welcome aboard!

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2010 at 4:48pm

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!!  Smiley

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2010 at 5:28pm

Hubby got his Optimask today! Smiley

Next: the higher flow regulator...(thanks to the member who sent link suggestions on where to find them!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!