Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CHs and Depression (Read 1304 times)
wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
CHs and Depression
Apr 30th, 2010 at 8:44am

We may have already covered this well enough in our various posts, and maybe even as a separate topic although I have not seen it recently, but...so many of CH sufferers do experience bouts of depression either in cycle or out of cycle. It's sort of like the physiology of CHs...a correlation exists but which comes first? As far as depression goes, it's an important question, but not the most important one. Deal with the depression and worry about origin secondarily.

So...I was wondering if we have made the connections between CH and depression clearly enough to remove the stigma we tend to attach to just speaking out about depression. There are so many linking factors where one can effect the other: lack of sleep; interruption of REM sleep; fear and doubt; loss of work and support networks; constant pain and pain anticipation; the loss of pain when we go into a remission...

I know that one sounds weird, but our body and our minds tend to habituate to the cycle of pain itself, and we can begin to anticipate the "rhythm" of the cycle even when the pain is gone. It's a little bit like the Stockholm Syndrome-we begin to identify with our kidnappers, which are CHs for us.

The onset of disabling depression can be hard to recognize because it is often associated with a physical or emotional trauma which we know would make "everyone" depressed. But in our case, we may not get over it. The depression factors I mentioned above are still with us and we can find ourselves drawn every more deeply into that black hole.

The cure is truly a medical intervention, coupled with the kind of support received here, and the key ingredient to all depression recovery: HOPE. Hope is critical. Hope for remission. Hope for an effective preventative, especially when we have already tried so many. Hope for an abortive that will work this time. Hope fueled by understanding rather than pity or sympathy. And most important of all, to we who know why these b****rds are called suicide headaches, hope that we can live gracefully between rounds of pain.

Time alone can often heal the wounds of depression, but not when there are other clinical factors involved. CHs bring the whole gamut to the table: physical trauma, emotional trauma, and questions of self-doubt and self-worth.

Support...support...support. And sharing...sharing...sharing. Yup, we're depressed. We have a darn good reason to be, and even better reasons to deal with it effectively. THERE IS NO SHAME in admitting depression, just an open door to staying alive and involved in life each day.

OK; I'm done. Thanks for listenin' and if this is useful, share some of your story. It can help someone else!  Blessings!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: CHs and Depression
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:06am

wimsey1 wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 8:44am:
CHs bring the whole gamut to the table: physical trauma, emotional trauma, and questions of self-doubt and self-worth.

So...I was wondering if we have made the connections between CH and depression clearly enough to remove the stigma we tend to attach to just speaking out about depression.

Influencing factors can be similiar with other maladies, even including loss of job or loved one.  While existing together sometimes, anxiety may result from physical (perhaps chemical) transformation, which separate medication is made for, or a state of morale unbridging self-expectations with reality that CH can lay heavily on during times. 

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:24am

Like I said, CHs and depression are complex. Keep in mind folks, that "anxiety" is hard to define, even by clinicians. Some believe in a kind of "free floating anxiety" (I do) which exists in all people systems: families, friends, colleagues, shoppers and drivers. We run into it daily, sort of like hitting a cloud of noxious fumes. We deal with it in our own way, or don't, but it is still there as a stressor.

Anxiety also is not loss specific. Getting a new job, getting ready for Christmas or Thanksgiving or any celebration, finding a new friend or going on a blind date...routine and new ventures can also create anxious moments, even when they are occasions for celebration.

Our minds and bodies pretty much like steady-state conditions: no body temp too much over or under 98.6 on average; neither too much nor too little sleep, or work, or play...CHs crush that expectation.

So again...we desire HOPE above all; and good interventions. No matter their origin. Blessings and HOPE for a PF day!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:13am

wimsey1 wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:24am:
HOPE

A favorite to see expressed emerging from this site.   Wink

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:45pm

a beautiful post!thank you!food for thought.

but still, i ve got some dark thoughts emerged which i ve got to say.what happens when hope..fails?
when there is no really good preventative and abortive?no remission?who likes to hope on a false make belief?
I mean,last year for example i had the biggest remission as i started vitamin d at the same time
for a defficiency i found out,thinking it might have
something to do with ch.
I know now that its crap even if i still take the damn pills.Did it was just its time to come as ch morphes?yes definitely and vitamin d just a coincidence.So i started hoping that i might have become episodic,from february till august every year not bad at all.But yet again this year proves me wrong.
There is a saying here,that we are all different
as far as it concerns ch.And i ask myself,is this real
or just a way to preserve hope to which point?
How many of us have taken a list of different meds
just to learn that it doesn't applause to us from the beggining or nomore.
ok being different to each other,but to our own selves?And then we say the beast morphs.
Deep in i believe that if we all have the same symptoms with the only exception when and how long it's gonna hit,then there's got to be the same common ground and solution.One drug,one something.The one word,cure, which we don't even want to hear anymore.There we can't permit,and wisely,to have hope.It's beyond any of our control
as if we had any.
And there are others which reach as empty words in the process of life.
the why me or why not me guestion.
Of course it's the why me.Not only i would wish it for my worst enemy but i would give it to my beloved ones(don't take it literally but for the desire to be pain free with reassurement) if it was for someone else to take it.I had my part,i didn't do anything to deserve it,give me life my life back.Of course this is just wishful thinking and useless.So here comes the why not part.
Just another one among the millions who happens to have ch.Who cares?Obviously in this every one is on its own.what and how to get and maintain a job,struggle for real friendships and if you are lucky enough for real supporters who understand,inbetween emdless hits.Cause
outside from this wonderful site,its matter of lack
and things just happen.so for what should i hope?
i choose the why not part with the knowledge that
people around will never understand.We are talking here about this damn repeative pain while at the same time,inbetween hard hits out there you ve got to smile cause it's necessary.People know that something is wrong while you dont look happy.You might have been out from one hour extreme pain which has left you exhausted but you ve got to do the ok thumb thing as it was just a dive and now you took breath.Now you can do,and hear any bullshit as normal.
What am i saying?i ve given documents for people to read and say ''na,i am bored,so it hurts huh?''.A very few people all this time have bothered to read.And the joke is that noone until Now,I mean noone says it with its name.Cluster headache.If it wasn't this site by now i would believe i have a sort of whatmigraine.
So the why not part with the secret that signature of E-Double i read here -are we ourselves?, which striked me as ligthning the first time i saw it.
I am not talking about depression here but to visualize it is as if someone is sitting in a chair and every time is trying to get up is being smacked.
what's there to hope?
live your life inbetween hits.If you are lucky enough to still have on hold one may i add.otherwise live one and see.
where is hope?
as i am talking now believe me in ten minutes i ll be just fine but i am thinking how many desires
have been covered in sand and that melacholy
is the *&^(don't know the word) holding the chain in one piece,with this terrible pain never end, as if it wasn't for it i dont know..would be myself?
maybe.

thanks for listening me ramble,steam Embarrassed

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2010 at 8:43am

Just damn, Black-great post, and exactly what I was trying to express. I'd like to start by saying what I think hope is, as opposed to wishful thinking. Wishful thinking will get us into trouble because it has no basis in reality. Hope, on the other hand, is grounded in a real belief structure. That's why this site is so important. Yes, there is a fair amount of wisful thinking (chronics wishing for a return to episodic, episodics wishing this weren't their reality at all) and that kind of sharing can be therapeutic if and only if we see it for what it is: a need to tell someone just how we feel today in the hope that someone is listening. Well, someone is almost always here to listen, and to respond in a way that will validate our hopes.

We do and can hope for a cure. This isn't wishful thinking. It is grounded in the reality of a medical community taking longer and deeper looks at what is driving this beast. Who cares why they are doing it? They are. And that's reality, and worthing hoping for.

We hope for something we have not tried but has worked for someone. This, too, is grounded in reality. I've been at the trying game for 23 years, and I have still recently found things I haven't tried before. Keep on trying, and don't you dare lose hope that something tried new or something tried again will work this time.

And finally, hope is grounded in what we believe. We have to keep on believing we did not deserve this. Once we switch over to "this is our fault", we begin to die inside. It isn't our fault, and this is grounded in the reality of the newst research idicating CHs are Primary Headaches, not secondary. In other words, we didn't do anything to make this happen. The primary trigger is organic to our brains. This knowledge does feed hope that more research will find that cure for which we long.

The pain is real. Of course we would wish it away if we could, onto to our worst enemy or just somehone else so we can feel normal for a time. But my friend, this is what is normal for us. That realization sucks, and we wish it weren't true, but it is. If we accept that, then we can get on with living in between, trying old and new stuff, staying up to date on all that is there in the most recent research.  But even more, the realization this is normal for us prevents us from being shocked into reality when the pain comes. If we live hopefull, hen we can do our best to be ready for it. To fight it. To not give in to it. To stay alive.

And I know this sounds trite, but I mean it with all my heart. I hope, as do you and everyone here, for the day when I and all like us, live pain free. It's worth hoping for.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:23pm

"It's a little bit like the Stockholm Syndrome"

Good stuff here. Something to think about.

Hard to put into words but you all make a lot of sense to me.

MJ

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:51am

Too often the last thing someone who is depressed wants to do is to admit the depression. Or to talk about it. Neither are helpful, and pretending the depression does not exist, or refusing to say out loud the things we are thinking, are themselves counterproductive. We do need to talk out loud, and while this can be very difficult for supporters and loved ones, sites like this one exist for that very purpose. Just venting, or letting off steam, won't change the reality of the pain but it can change the hopelessness that threatens to take us away.

Just a note on the Stockholm Syndrome. I am now in a remission from a 3 year, daily CH binge and have been for 2 weeks. I still wake up at my usual CH times, I walk around looking for my portable tank, and I have a stock of abortives on my shelf. There is something missing in my life: oh yeah, pain! But it was a sick relationship I had come to rely upon and expect. I'll keep the remission!!! For as long as I can, anyway. But the missing elements of a life lived in pain anticipation are strong indeed. A new challenge I welcome.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2010 at 8:43am

That's great news Wimsey...hope...the one thing we all have in common around here! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!