Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello there (Read 1535 times)
stolerz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello there
Apr 28th, 2010 at 5:22pm

Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm one of you it seems!  I didn't even realise you were all here til today.  How sad to think there are so many other little creatures who spend hours crawling around in the dark, making the most awful noises, pulling the oddest of faces, squeezing this, yanking that, hanging upside down off the bed before sprawling about, occasionally daring to believe the pain is stopping.  Pressing soggy packs of frozen sweetcorn onto their necks, desparately glugging coffee, snorting decongestants until they burn your throat.  Wanting to scream, but somehow managing to tiptoe as it's four in the morning.  Feeling guilty about snapping at their wonderful partners who've simply asked if you want sugar in the coffee.  Dreading the night like doomsday. 
Yes, to think that anyone else has ever suffered this type of pain is almost heartbreaking.  So to sit here and feel happy - excited even - that all your names are on this site surely can't be right. Sorry as I am for you all, I'm so glad you're here.  Despite the contradictions involved, the fact that this site exists is wonderful.  Today is a good day.
Clusterheads appear to rock. 
Nice to meet you all
x

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Hello there
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 5:39pm

Based on your first post, we need to get you on a better track! Does your doc have you on a decent prevent like verapamil, topomax or lithium, to reduce the number and intensity of your hits?

Do you have oxygen, the miracle elixir for many, myself included. No more 90 minute rock and roll attacks, the majority of the time I crush them in less then 10 minutes with only oxygen. Many are discovering 02 and hundreds on the board will swear by it!

Imitrex injectables and nasal spray? Expensive but when the 02 fails me a shot of trex will usually vanquish the beast.

When you get a chance give us a rundown of what you've tried, what has and hasn't worked. And welcome to the board, you become family around here pretty quick. Cuz we know EXACTLY  what you mean when you say your head REALLY hurts! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

stolerz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 5:59pm

Hello Joe,

Yeah, I think you're right - I could do with some guidance.  It was only yesterday (or last night) I realised that these things are CHs.  For over 15 years I've had various theories but nothing has made as much sense as CH.  As a result, my doc hasn't got me on any treatment.  I've just moved house and my new doc (who I've simply asked for repeat prescription of co-codamol 30/500) seems to talk more than he listens, so I'll have to be well prepared when I go...
Well, so far (and this is probably in the wrong order and leaving out some things) I've been given beta-blockers, anti-depressants (which I'm now on for depression anyway!), tramadol (no effect at all), ibuprofen, more ibuprofen  (in fact, I rattle if you shake me), I've had teeth out, MRIs, blod tests, tubes shoved up my sinuses, eyes tested, maxalt, migraine meds (can't remember which), creams, balms, thousands of pounds (I'm from England) worth of chiropractic and osteopathic treatment.  Bowtech, new shoes, water - lots of water.  Coffee works sometimes.  Sudafed decongestant (Xlypmetazoline Hydrochloride) - which I can't stop using.  What else?  Hmmm.  Oh yeah, I've headbutted a few walls.  Jack Daniels and coke.  Valium.  Cannabis.  Nasal steriods, antihistamines.   Ice, heat, massage.  I think tha's it, but I'm not sure.  Ooo, streches, relaxation attempts.  Giving up smoking, not drinking alcohol for a while.  Eating healthier (I'm veggie), exercising more (walking 4/5 miles a day) (in new shoes).   That might be it. 
I'm definately going to ask my doc about oxygen.  I've never heard of anyone having it over here, but I'm hoping he can prescribe some.  That reminds me, sometimes I've hung my head out the window in the night and breathed in fresh air - that used to help a little.
Thanks Joe - a lovely reply to my first post.
Hope you have a clear night. Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:36pm

I'm in the states but we have several of you old tyranists in the old country on this board! I know they have succesfully obtained oxygen for CH and can direct you on the "how to" should the need arise. In order:

First!!: Get off the Ibuprofen! Does damn little for CH and ruins your internal organs! Then we need to get you on a 2 pronged approach.

1: A good preventative routine. That's a med you take daily, while in cycle, to reduce the frequency and the intensity of your hits. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day, will block up to 70% of my hits. Verapamil is a common first try prevent as is Topomax. Sadly it's a trial and error to see which works best for you. But well worth the effort when you find the one that works.

2: A good abortive, the damned headache is starting now what? We've already discussed 02, as you'll see from reading the board it should be your first line abortive. Close to a freaking miracle how fast it defeats the beast. Imitrex injectables are very effective for me if the 02 doesn't stop it or if I get caught away from home without 02.

Try an energy drink for now, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine. I like sugar free Red Bull just based on taste. Chug one down at the first sign of an attack. Many can abort or really reduce a hit with just that. I use them for those annoying shadows that won't go away. If you like the nasal treatments, try 4Way Nasal Spray. I've been using it this cycle for the shadows. Snort it on the affected sides nostril.

Lastly, check out OUCHUK.com......I hope I have that right, a great source for you on that side of the pond with more specific info about how to get what you need in your system.

Do stick around, we hate when anyone's getting whooped on by the beast.

Joe

edited cuz I knew I had it wrong!!!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:38pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:41pm

Hello stolerz

welcome . I'm not shore Jack is a good idea in-fact it's probably the best way to get hit by the beast.

Energy drinks like red bull (caffeine 0.03% and taurine 0.4% anything less won't work )can be helpful for low level attacks and even reduce others . and you can get it from your nearest shop , so more strait away than a GP too.

thought it might help

prayers and hope

Nigel

see how good Joe is, he wrote all that for you before I could get this out  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:45pm by Headache Boy uk »  

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:46am

Some of what you have listed are definitely triggers for so many CHs-things like cannabis and alcohol. Others are no good whatsoever for CHs-like asprin, tylenol and headbangin' (it just seems like something to do). And some are potential triggers-like sleep, rest, exertion, no exertion, so sleep...you get the picture. Each CH experience is different and you have to sort out your own triggers and responses. Still, you've been given great advice here: find an abortive that does work (O2, energy drinks, injectables) and find a preventative that works for you...for now. And for heaven's sake, find a knowledgable (or at least educable) neuro! Remember, no one knows nor is more intensely interested in your cluster than are you!

IP Logged

stolerz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 6:35pm

Wimsey, Nigel, Joe - Thanks to you all.  Am feeling much better about the whole thing today.  My cycle has moved a bit so earlier on in the evening than a few days ago - which is helping me get some sleep.  That's coupled with the fact that your replies and this site have helped me relax a bit.  Soooo...plan is to take yor advice and get prepared and kitted up so I can keep beastie at bay next time it comes a knocking.
I guess you write to lots of newbies, but don't lose sight of how comforting your messages are.  Honestly - your words are much appreciated. 
A peaceful night to you all (It's midnight in England) and thanks again.
Tim
x

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 9:01pm

Welcome,

Youi need a big ole steak.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

stolerz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 12:40am

Looks like I spoke to soon about a getting a good night's sleep  Angry
And Coach Bill...I'm thinking of onions, peppercorn sauce and a healthy side o fries.  (Altho if I'd tried to think about that half an hour ago, I'd have probably thrown up)
Damn sun's coming up.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 2:45am

stolerz wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 12:40am:
Damn sun's coming up.

I hate that.  Seems like I've seen the sun come up from the wrong end (a bad night) way too many times.

Hope a renewed approach yields you some good nights very soon.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 7:55am

Yeah, right there with all ya'll on the "wrong end of the night." We're all over the time zones here, so no matter what you're time, there does seem to be somebody listening. Praying for the best for you and all of us!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!