Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
depression and cluster ha (Read 1267 times)
kristi456
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

depression and cluster ha
Apr 28th, 2010 at 3:13pm

My husband has cluster headaches.  After this last bout about a year ago, he has suffered from depression. I am wondering if his depression has been triggered by the clusters.  Has anyone else suffered from this?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: depression and cluster ha
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 4:12pm

Depression is not an automatic part of CH but can be a reaction. In any case, it needs to be treated quite independently of the clusters.

Part of depression can be the way in which he thinks about his CH. Ask him to explore:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

TommyA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:33am

I get depressed each morning when I get my first hit within 30-60 minutes after waking up.  My neurologist has been prescribing anti-depressants for me, along with other meds and I find that I am less depressed than when I wasn't taking the antidepressants.  If your husband can't sleep because of the pain, taking them before bedtime can help.  Have your husband discuss this with his doc.  Best wishes,
Tom

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 7:53am

Quote:
I get depressed each morning when I get my first hit within 30-60 minutes after waking up.  My neurologist has been prescribing anti-depressants for me, along with other meds and I find that I am less depressed than when I wasn't taking the antidepressants.  If your husband can't sleep because of the pain, taking them before bedtime can help.  Have your husband discuss this with his doc.  Best wishes,
Tom

What meds are you taking for CH?

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 1:46pm

Hi Kristi
i ll tell you my experience in case it might help understand.I am chronic with the exception of 3 long painfree spreaded between them periods which have occured in a course of 16 years.Not the usual small pain free period of two maybe three weeks which happens every year for every chronic(not a rule with these things you can't never be sure  but anyway).First two lasted 4 months,i think 2005 and 2007 if i remember well, and the third one last year from February till August.The longest one i ve ever experienced after a very difficult winter with hard hits.
Now common sense(ok mine common sense Cheesy) says that i should be happier with every pain free day.Instead i found myself with every pain free day passing, more depressed which i don't even feel during pain time!Even now that i am inbetwen hits,If you ask me i ll tell you that I feel melacholy and a bit blue but not depressed!Maybe cause it's this endless cycle of pain-relief knowing that i am gonna be hit sometime soon,that keeps on guard. 
So what happened last year?
After some time (can't recall how much)i started
feeling more comfortable?Meaning that i found myself started making future plans,which now is a joke during pain times.At the same time i was looking back at the past when i was in hurt looking for good memories,something good!something!and there was
absolutely nothing.Just passing time anyway,anyhow
day in day out.
it's like the war movies,when you are in war you are too busy to get depressed(with ch is the invisible war).
After it's done here it goes.
(i dont want to hear any jokes about the example
i ve been on paintball you know! Cheesy)

somehow like this maybe?
thought to share if it helps understand or relate somehow but have in mind that i still have my own questions about last year.there were times i wished
why the hell the next hit doesn't come to get over with it!
human soul 
go figure! Sad

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:20pm

I have suffered from severe depression because I suffer from ch to the point of being suicidal.  Please have your spouse talk to his DR. and let him know how he is feeling.  Time to be honest.  They can prescribe medicine and counceling for depression.  There is help.  I take effexor for my depression and also attend chronic pain support group.  Helps me get over the why me syndrome.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:27pm

I have depression but most of the anti-depressants have triggered a cycle for me so I am not on anything.  Lexapro seems to work ok, but I will wait until I take it.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 6:46am

I don't know whether the two are intertwined but I too deal with depression symptoms. I feel that hopelessness and sadness have a way of burrowing a little deeper into the conscious and subconscious as a result of a life with CH (both on and off cycle).

Is he able to talk about it openly with anyone? If not, I found the freedom of a therapist to be worthwhile.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 8:12am

Hi Kristi. Your post doesn't indicate where you are regionally, but there are various neuros many here are willing to recommend who are "cluster friendly." Perhaps if you have difficulty finding a good neuro you might share that info and see if anyone knows of anyone...And as far as depression goes, there are a number of easy tests that can be given to evaluate the depth of one's personal depression, using only personal eval questions as the comparative. Again, a good neuro should have this available.

IP Logged

Cynde
CH.com Junior

x0|Fairfax|USA||0|0|VA,Virginia
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:16am

The report by Dr. Rozen shows that depression and CH might be related, and that depression is the most common co-morbid symptom with CH.  I think it's a reflection of our goofy brain chemistries -- the chemicals involved in CH are the same ones that get out of control in depression.  So once they figure out exactly which chemicals we need to regulate, both depression and CH can be treated together.
And yes, I too get very depressed when I'm in a cluster, because I can't sleep, afraid that I'll be awakened at 2 a.m. This cycle cost me 19 nights of sleep in a row, and I'm still recovering from those awful impacts almost two weeks later.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:29am

Cynde wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:16am:
...depression is the most common co-morbid symptom with CH. 

Question being, would there be other states associated that depression reigns among? 

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 1:30pm

I found this piece that I first posted two-years ago. It makes an important distinction about the way the word is used and misued.
--------

DEPRESSION IN CLUSTER HEADACHE

Is depression commonly experienced with CH? An often asked question and one which cannot be answered easily because the word--"depression"-has been so muddled that using it, without careful definition, is very misleading.

I'm blue, down, sad, in a funk, and so on. In daily speech, we describe these feelings as "depression."

I'm in deep grief over the death of a loved one; or, my house has been destroyed along with all my priced possessions by a tornado. I'm "depressed".

These are wide-ranging emotions but we use the same word to describe them. At what point do we move from a "normal" emotional state to "clinical depression" which might benefit from some professional assistance? As we usually use the word, "depression", the word, by itself,  does not give any help in making this judgment.

The issue is more complex even when we have a chronic pain disorder or chronic disease of some kind. People with such problems are not automatically depressed but they might become depressed! A play on the word: If I have chronic CH, I may experience a bad day but it doesn't last for weeks OR the emotion might not pass.  This factor: duration of the emotion, is one of the key factors to separate normal (ND) from clinical depression (CD).

I'm having a series of CH attacks and that puts me "down" but when I'm not in pain I can enjoy my family or a supper with friends, etc. The ability to have a positive response which would be expected to pleasant activities: Another marker separating ND from CD.

I'm normally a health person for someone my age but, for reasons which don't make sense to me or my physician, I'm always feeling fatigue, pains, gut distress, or any variety of physical complaints. This pattern is suggestive of CD. We might include insomnia which is not explained by a nighttime CH attack.

Space limitations on our site apply! Issue of depression can be explored at: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or any of a number of health sites.
========

"Pain vs. Suffering--research support", a message posted on 1/7/07.

SSRIs used to treat depression have gained a good track record but docs have been long aware of relapses when the med is stopped. Research has lead to a recommendation that the med be continued for up to 18-months after the depression has lifted because this reduces the rate of relapse. Parallel research revealed that this longer use of the meds allows our brain to "rewire" itself leading to better long term outcomes.

The article (available on the OUCH site, last line) "Pain vs. Suffering" is based on cognitive therapy. These forms of counseling/psychotherapy have been strongly supported by good research. Now some evidence is appearing that these therapies act like the SSRIs to stimulate our brains to "rewire", affording protection against strong anxiety conditions. Bottom line: looks like it may be possible to alter brain functioning to build in a permanent reduction of the anxiety which besets many folks with CH. While the gods may not have made a final pronouncement yet, experience with cognitive therapy, so far, really supports its use to treat anxiety & depression. While using "pain vs. suffering" takes time, commitment, and practice, it beats endless use of benzos, etc.

"“My brain is generating another obsessive thought. Don’t I know it is just some garbage thrown up by a faulty circuit?” After 10 weeks of mindfulness- based therapy, 12 out of 18 patients improved significantly. Before-and-after brain scans showed that activity in the orbital frontal cortex, the core of the OCD circuit, had fallen dramatically and in exactly the way that drugs effective against OCD affect the brain. Schwartz called it “self-directed neuroplasticity’ concluding that “the mind can change the brain?’ (TIME, 1/29/07. Major article on the human brain.) (OCD is classified as an anxiety disorder.)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 4:11pm

Bob wrote: Bottom line: looks like it may be possible to alter brain functioning to build in a permanent reduction of the anxiety which besets many folks with CH.

My goodness, yes. That we are able to habituate at all, or re-learn a good habit or way of thinking to overcome a bad habit or way of thinking has been the basis of other therapies as well. I'm thinking of Eric Berne's work, along with other Skinnerian's. Cognitive therapists, behavioralists, and to some extent Attachment theorists are all depending upon "brain re-wiring."  In one study (can't remember which, sorry) but in one study it was determined that just talking to a sympathetic listener (sometimes called a therapist) had a dramatic effect on the brain's hormonal patterns and actually changed the physiology of neuro-transimitters and neuro-receptors.

So...talk; to a sympathetic ear. Find a good therapist if you can't find someone who will give you hope. Find hope that there's a way out of this god-awful mess of a disease. And you might find it actually has an effect on how the Clusters operate. Blessings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!