Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brother has CH. (Read 350 times)
Szygani
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Brother has CH.
Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:16am

Hi,

My brother has CH, has so for quite a while. Its the periodic kind. There can be years without him having trouble and then suddenly it'll be bad for a few weeks.

I was fortunate enough to never witness him having an attack. I was close once, and a friend made me wait outside the house. The door was open so I could still hear him scream.

I wouldn't know what to do if I was in his position, but I want to know what I can do to help. I would do anything to help him relieve the pain, even if it means breaking a few of his fingers, but I would rather not do that. Smiley

Anyone have any suggestiosn?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Brother has CH.
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:27am

Get his butt on this board! Wink

Seriously, you will not find a more comprehensive collection of info on CH anywhere in the world...not to mention the real time experience available here.

Does he have oxygen yet? Has he tried imitrex injectable or nasal spray? Does he have any kind of a decent regimen for preventing attacks?

My wife found the old CH board many years ago for me and to say it radically changed my life would be an understatement. I still don't like my CH, but I don't quake in my boots waiting for the next attack to cream me. I have an organized battle plan that more often then not gives me the upper hand. Please try to get him to check in with us and see what we can do for him. Most of us are nice and only a few bite.

Bless your heart for finding the board for him, man's lucky to have you as a sister.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 12:16pm

Hi Szygani.  I concur with Joe.  He is lucky to have someone who cares so much and took the initiative to get here.  You will only be able to do so much, he has to do the rest.  On these pages is information that can give him his life back, it did me.  I am in a similar boat: episodic for many years, dreaded the pain cycle, found this site, learned how to manage my pain.  Occassional lapses and I get hit, but not like it used to be.

All sorts of techniques we use which you can read about on almost every thread.  Also check out the cluster busters website (my weapon of choice) Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Good luck to both of you!! Angry(mean looking guy wards off evil headaches)

--Shaggy

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 3:11pm

What those guys said.

Info, help and advice obtained here has revolutionized my CH experience to the point that I no longer live in terror of the CH beast. During my last episode I didn't have to experience a single, full length, full blown attack.

Your brother needs to get over here and get him some of that.  Smiley

GOOD ON YOU for finding the right place for your brother to go!!!

Here's a recent Newsweek article that covers the clusterbusters approach that Shaggy mentioned:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

PS - There's no way I could have found such great results by going to ANY doctor and just strictly following his/her treatment plan only.

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2010 at 3:14pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 8:14pm

I can vouch for how this board helps.  My last cycle was 6 years ago, and I was in a serious state by the time I found this board.  It  helped tremendously.  My last cycle lasted 4 months ... unbearable at first, until I found this place.  They helped me to find ways to abord the attacks and just to deal with the non-sleep issues.  Five years late, and this cycle, with the help of the advanced o2 info ..... I so put the beast in his place.  I still got the headaches, but knew that something cheap (and that the insurance company put no restrictions on) was available.  I can't tell you how much easier this cycle was than the last.  This place is a godsend of info as well as support. 

Bless you for being the supporter you are.

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

Szygani
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 7:31am

I found this board through him, actually. He has nasal spray, but not oxygen. He's done anything he can to prevent attacks, I'm sure, but there doesn't seem to be a trigger.

And yes, he is lucky to have a little brother like me.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:08am

Oops...sorry I called you a sister, I don't know where I got that! Wink You are entitled to smack me one time upside the head!

I'm in high cycle right now and don't venture anywhere without my oxygen tank. 31 years of these things and nothing has been as consistently effective as oxygen. Read the Oxygen Info link on the left. It's complete with pics to show you how to get the initial set up. When you have the gear set up, takes 10 seconds to fire it off and you're on your way to aborting an attack.

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:14am

Guiseppi wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:08am:
I'm in high cycle right now and don't venture anywhere without my oxygen tank. 31 years of these things and nothing has been as consistently effective as oxygen.

Has it started working for you again?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:21am

Last 2 hits affirmative! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!