Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Denied Life Insurance (Read 790 times)
Nigel V.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Denied Life Insurance
Apr 27th, 2010 at 10:25pm

I was denied supplemental life insurance today because of my cluster headaches.  Surprised as all the literature I've read over the past few years have asserted that this illness is not a life threatening illness.  Am I missing something? 

I'm tempted to appeal the decision, but thought I would check with the board to see if others have faced similar predicaments.

~ Nigel V.

You may forget what people say
You may forget what people do
But you never ever forget how they make you feel

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Denied Life Insurance
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:59pm

I'm paying more than double for a policy because of the "suicide rate".

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Nigel V.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 1:42am

Wow.... suicide?  Didn't consider that angle at all. This truly sucks.

~ Nigel V.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 7:26am

Skyhawk5 wrote on Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:59pm:

Don

Which is ??

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:31am

My wife just took out a good sized policy on me....(I tell everyone that in case I disappear so there'l be an investigation Grin)....I listed the fact I'd had CH for 31 years and they still wrote the policy. In the old days they were called suicide headaches, I think that was more a way to describe the pain then to insinuate we all ended up doing ourselves in.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:46am

Try another company - there is little rhyme or reason to some of these decisions.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 1:54pm

The appeal process is important. Suspect some witless clerk has screen the application and read the wrong info or read into some restrictive Dx the wrong meaning.

But you are correct, no life endangering issues with CH.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 2:33pm

Skyhawk5 wrote on Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:59pm:

Don

I don't see how as most policies won't pay on a self inflicted death anyway.......

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:49pm

I was only quoting the agent so I have no idea what rate. And yes this company does cover self inflicted death. There was a 3 year delay in this coverage because of my CH.

Don't know if this matters, it is a whole life policy.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 8:06pm

Joe, I got your number on the BIG life insurance policy.   Cheesy

Nigel, I would appeal.  What do you have to loose ? 

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2010 at 10:59am

How did CH even come up in the application process? Did they ask you if you suffer from migarains or was it due to the scripts you take? Not to be too nosy, but how much life insurance were you applying for? Usually if it is 250K or below you can go simplified issue (meaning no blood work or doc. visit) You should not have any problems going simplifed but it could depend on the carrier and scripts you are currently taking. I would not waste my time on an appeal with this carrier just go to another one. Usually once they say "no" they stick with that answer even though they will tell you that it is under appeal.  You need to get a policy in place before their decline hits your MIB and causes you issue with another carrier.

My husband works for a large Insurance Marketing Organization and he currently writes for 8 different A rated insurance companies. They use so many carriers because they all have different rules on what they will and will not accept. (ie: some carriers apply smoker rates to customers that smoke cigars or dip snuff while others don't. Some carriers will go simplified issue with diabetics that are not insulin dependent etc..)

I have suffered with clusters for 20 years and I applied for supplemental life insurance 3 years ago and had no problem being approved, nor was I rated up. I am not trying to sell you life insurance but I just want you to know their are other carriers out there that will not give you such issue.

I hope this helps.
April

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #11 - May 15th, 2010 at 11:51am

The key with life insurance apps is that you need to disclose your meds and their purpose. A good cover letter to go with the app helps. The ins co WILL order your medical records and if there are notes in the MD records that disclose something you failed to mention that is when the ins co backs away and declines.

Recommend you go back to the original company with more information. But also someone mentioned companies underwrite differently. Just know that you have to give them enough information to show you are managing your CH, not the other way around. And now you also have to answer the question about ever being declined as Yes because if you say no you will be declined again.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Nigel V.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2010 at 3:22pm

Thanks all.  In the process of appealing. 

In the original application, there was a question about whether I currently or ever suffered from any type of headaches - at which point I self disclosed about CH.  Didn't think I had a choice.  Their follow-up was for additional details from my neurologist, which was provided.  This then led to the "denial" decision.

I did do some basic research on suicide rates with CH sufferers, and only came across the results of an informal survey of CH sufferers by "Clusterbusters" where 65% of 200 respondents in an online survey considered suicide and 9% attempted suicide (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; Obviously not a statistically representative survey, and hopefully not indicative of the actual statistics. 

Will let you know how the appeal process unfolds, and thanks again for your many thoughts/ insights.

~ NIGEL

PS.  On a "yay" high note, I have been headache free for the past 3 weeks.  Doing what I can do to enjoy the pain-free period until the beast comes again...

~ Nigel V.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!