Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Price of o2? (Read 1178 times)
Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Price of o2?
Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:25am

After having discovered the joy of oxygen, I'll never be without it again.  I'm wondering, though, how I can get it a little cheaper.  For two M tanks and respirators Apria is charging my insurance company $760.00 a month.  I am responsible for $121.00 a month of that price.   

I know welder's tanks are an option but I have no clue how to even get started with a set up or how much that would run me.

Any advice?

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Re: Price of o2?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:49am

I get my M tank through Praxair for $30/tank straight out of my pocket.
No insurance coverage what so ever, just a docs script.

Praxair is all over.  See if there is one in your area.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 12:05pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 12:54pm

If nothing else....shop around. End cost on mine for unlimited D and E tanks is $3.06 after insurance.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 12:21am

Hey Jeannie,

The economics of oxygen therapy are near and dear to me... as they should be to all oxygen therapy users...

Commercial gaseous oxygen sells for roughly 5 cents/liter weather you use it as a medical USP gas to abort your cluster headaches or as an industrial gas with a cutting torch burn through steel.  At 150 to 200 liters to abort the average cluster headache, that works out to $1.50 to $2.00 per abort without medical insurance...  30 to 40 cents/abort at co-pay prices.

As shocking as it may seem, home oxygen services are operated on a for profit basis... That means the companies that deliver you oxygen need to make a profit after paying for the labor, consumable oxygen and delivery costs for the oxygen contents you use.

They make an additional profit on the rental of the other durable medical equipment (DME) associated with DME Oxygen contents you use such as the regulators, cylinder caddies, and oxygen masks they deliver to you.

Typical home oxygen cylinder refill costs are $30 for each M-sized oxygen cylinder and $20 for each E-sized cylinder.  As labor is a cost driver and labor costs are about the same to refill an M-size cylinder as an E-size cylinder, you're obviously better off using the larger M-size cylinder that holds 3995 liters than and E-size cylinder that holds 708 liters of oxygen.

At a 20% insurance copay, the M-size oxygen cylinder refill should cost you $6...  I'm chronic and average 3 attacks a day/24 hrs so burn through 3 M-size oxygen cylinders a month for a total monthly cost of $18 or an annual cost of $216.

In other words, buy your own regulator and mask...  CH.com sells the O2PTIMASK for $27.50 and you can buy a good 25 liter/minute oxygen regulator for under $50 or a great 60 liter/minute regulator for less than $190.

Do the math...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 1:02pm

I pay for it myself at Lincare for $10 a tank, delivered.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!