Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Things to try to abort with no meds. (Read 1760 times)
Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Things to try to abort with no meds.
Apr 25th, 2010 at 4:16pm

As with any attempt to abort a CH attack these must be started at the first sign of pain.

Take a deep breath of air, hold it a few seconds then exhale as much as possible, even more than you think. Repeat until abort or failure.

Hyperventilate even to the point of feeling dizzy. Continue until abort or failure.

Apply ice (some preferr heat) to the back of the neck on CH side.

On CH side temple locate pulsating veins and apply pressure in an attempt to stop the pain.

Breathing cold air from an air conditioner or freezer can help with the above.

These things have worked for me at times but not always. For those with no meds they may be worth a try. The only thing to lose is pain.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Things to try to abort with no meds.
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 5:22pm

When doing the stick the head in a freezer or in front of the car ac vent...I plug one nostril and hyperventialte through the affected side nostril.........seems to be a little more effective.

I'll also add Red Bull.....a can chugged at the onset of an attack.

Joe

PS: great reminder thread.

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 7:35am

Quote:
On CH side temple locate pulsating veins and apply pressure in an attempt to stop the pain.

suprisingly sometimes this works but i do it in a funny way.in prone position in bed hagging the pillow and apply pressure with the pillow in all the ch side of the face and especially in the temple.or it's my idea,i cant never be sure with these things

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 8:21am

Good post and some excellent tips above.... I might add that once I feel the initial pain of an attack sometimes vigorous exercise is enough to abort its onset. I have also applied pressure to the bulging vein on my left side and this works to an extent but unfortunately the pain will win out and actually increase for me....

Lefty

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

quadpants
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 3:17pm

Pushups... Doing as many as I can in one rep, I can feel relief sometimes within a minute or two. On the plus side, I can do like 40 pushups in a row now

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:41am

If I wake up with a hit, other than 02, I use a burning hot water bottle (in a cover) on the right side of my head - find the extreme heat a bit of a distraction, enough to help me relax a bit and breath.  I must say I do find that the more stressed out I get, the more intense the pain!

If I'm awake and feel one coming, I do exercise, fast!  Works sometimes, sometimes not (can help with shadows). 

Kate

IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 6:36pm

Excercise has also worked for me.  Jumping jacks followed by dancing, dancing, dancing ... followed by more jumping jacks.  It seems the better you can get your blood flowing (any cardio excercise would probably work) brings the pain down a notch.  O2 is a seriously good abortive and is inexpensive ...... don't ever forget with a script you can purchase it yourself.  Smiley

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!