Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex Pills and nighttime headaches (Read 2549 times)
artscribe
CH.com Newbie

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Imitrex Pills and nighttime headaches
Apr 24th, 2010 at 2:10pm

I'm in the middle of a cluster cycle, and it's not fun. However, one night I decided to take an imitrex pill as I was going to bed. I didn't have an attack that evening. I tried it again. Same result. Two nights over the past week, I didn't take a pill at bedtime. Both nights I've had attacks.

I have no idea if this is a fluke. If it is, it's one that's working for me. Has anyone else tried this?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Imitrex Pills and nighttime headaches
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 2:28pm

Yes, many have tried it. I have tried it. It works. Longer acting triptans (Amerge, Frova) work even better.

If you don't mind taking triptans all the time. For some this is an issue.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 2:36pm

during my peak cycle i was taking half of sumatriptan pill before sleep! i didnt have any night time hits Cheesy
anthony

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:00pm

interesting concept, thanks for sharing, never thought of using trex pills this way, makes sense because the trex pills are usually ineffective for CH's as most people use abortives at the onset of an attack....trex pills usually are worthless because they take so long to become effective...however if you normally get an attack about an hour or so after you fall asleep (which I do) then it might make sense to do that....just be careful of the side effects associated with tryptans such as imitrex.....I like the melatonin idea better, but that's just me....to each his own

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 4:29pm

yes I do this as well at the start of a cycle. it helps being able to fall asleep without the fear of waking up with one in a few hours. glad I am not the only one! I think what some are saying about not using triptans a prevent is probably right on, because it wouldn't make sense to try to take an imitrex at noon for a nighttime ch, but if you have a headache at 8:00 every single night.....take one at 7:30 for a few days until the verap or whatever gets up to level
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2010 at 4:30pm by chewbaccamonkeylunch »  

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 6:55pm

I use to do this till I found melatonin.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:27pm

25mg of imitrex prior to going to bed should be good for 4 to 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  I used this method many times when I was episodic and needed a good night's sleep. 

Imitrex tablets take at least 30 minutes to reach a therapeutic serum level and as it has a half-life of 2 hours, 25mg should continue to provide a therapeutic level over at least 4 hours if not more... 

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:36am

Melatonin seems to be working for me, too. I take 12mgs at night (well above the label recommended dose) and I read somewhere that up to 18mgs is within the therapeutic range. I'm not sure a therapeutic range, or a cause and effect has been established between CHs and melatonin, or magnesium for that matter. Does anyone know?

IP Logged

Cynde
CH.com Junior

x0|Fairfax|USA||0|0|VA,Virginia
Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:23am

The science is definitely NOT in on melatonin...but some small studies have shown it to be effective for some people.  It's not considered a premier treatment, though, according to this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:44am

Cynde wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:23am:
The science is definitely NOT in on melatonin...but some small studies have shown it to be effective for some people.  It's not considered a premier treatment, though, according to this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I'll go with my personal history, which proves to me that it's VERY effective.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 11:09am

I took melatonin this past cycle and didnt get hit at nite! Im with u brew!! hope your well!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!