Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Niaspan??? (Read 780 times)
Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Niaspan???
Apr 22nd, 2010 at 1:49am

My Dr is wanting me to try Niaspan for cholesteral, but the second side effect mentioned following flushing is headache.  It is a vasodilator, and I'm a bit iffy on taking it.  Been going through a bit of a rough patch already, and I surely don't want to make it worse.  Anyone with experience with it?

Thanks,

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: Niaspan???
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 1:37pm

Haven't taken it in cycle - the flushing was unpredictable but could be very unpleasant. I wouldn't be surprised if it triggered clusters (especially in the short run) but not sure ... the effects seemed to be more in the skin, and it might have an effect like histamine desensitization over time.

Niaspan costs 20x more than Sloniacin, but is no better. Here is one cardiologists take on it:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: Niaspan???
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 4:42pm

Thanks, Monty.  I think I'm going to take a pass.  My doc is pretty understanding, so if I tell her I'm afraid it will trigger she will come up with something different.  She always has.  Wish I could find a Neuro that was as good to work with!

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!