Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The beast is back... I'm new here (Read 665 times)
bakersman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

The beast is back... I'm new here
Apr 15th, 2010 at 3:00am

Hi all!

Been struggling with the beast from about the age of 14. I am now 24 and am still fighting it! Tongue

Had a clean cycle of nearly 2 years and on Sunday it struck. I thought I remembered the intensity of the pain... Turns out I was wrong!   Grin

I have had great success with Maxalt RPD 10 usually working within 30 minutes. But at $10 a pop(converted from local currency), 2 attacks a day, and medical aid not willing to pay for it, I have to look for alternatives.

Today I have an appointment with a new GP. Going to get her to prescribe me some O2 as I have not tried it before. None of the other doctors/neurologists I have seen have mentioned it. Thanks CH for the heads up!!!!!

Anyhoo!! Have to get back to work now!

Thanks for the website and forum! It's truly a great place!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: The beast is back... I'm new here
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:02am

On a per dose basis this is much less and a number of us have found it as fast acting as Imitrex. Your doc can give you a sample and you will know with 1-3 uses whether it works for you.
=======
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 9:46am

Hey Bakerman, welcome home! You haven't mentioned a prevent medication. One you take daily while on cycle to reduce number and intensity of hits. I use Lithium, blocks about 70% of my attacks. Verapamil is a popular first line prevent, Topomax has proven effective for some on the board.

And REALLY push hard for the oxygen. It's success rate on this board has been very high. Read the link on the left as it needs to be used correctly to be effective. The major keys are a Non Re Breather Mask, High Flow Regulator, at least 15 LPM, and get on it at the first hint of an attack. Been a real sanity saver for me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:36am

bakersman wrote on Apr 15th, 2010 at 3:00am:
Had a clean cycle of nearly 2 years and on Sunday it struck. I thought I remembered the intensity of the pain... Turns out I was wrong!   Grin

Yup, I also do that every two years .. Wink

Good luck with the 02, it's a life saver for most of us around here.

Lefty

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:37am by Lefty »  

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!