Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nerve Block, Verapamil, I.V. DHE, Migranol... (Read 1838 times)
Chronic
CH.com Junior

Nerve Block, Verapamil, I.V. DHE, Migranol...
Apr 13th, 2010 at 11:51am

Hello All,

It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I'd give an update on some of the Meds I use to you fellow sufferers out there.

I guess you would consider me episodic...however, my cycles usually last from 6 months to 2 years...so maybe I'm episodic with a side of chronic Tongue

Anyway, the current cycle started in the beginning of December and is still going strong.  Here are some suggestions for those of you who have found that some of the standard Meds don't work -

Nerve Block - This cycle my neurologist started offering a nerve block to me.  She injects a combination of a steroid and an anesthetic into the back of my head right around the location of the Occipital nerve.  I have had two of them.  One kept the headaches away for a week, the second for only 6 hours.  I have heard that some people get relief for up to a few months from this procedure.  The procedure is rather expensive, so make sure you have good insurance or you use it only as a last resort.

Verapamil - I know everyone has read a lot about Verapamil, but this cycle the time-released pills were completely ineffective for me.  We switched to the standard pills (80mgs 4 times a day) and it worked.  I was very skeptical, but happily surprised.  I'm not sure why, but if you find the time-released dosage not working, give the standard version a try.

IV DHE - This has always been effective for me and I get it done at my doctor's office...however, it really is a last resort.  The procedure is expensive and sometimes requires multiple doses a day.  I usually only do this when nothing else works.

Migranol - For those of you really having big problems, you may want to try Migranol.  However, it is somewhat dangerous and you should never ever take it with Imitrex.  For me, many meds don't work, and when you are getting 8 headaches a day, you are willing to do almost anything.  Anyway, at various times I have been prescribed Migranol as a preventative (something it says specifically on the label you should not do).  During the worst times of a cycle, I will use Migranol 2 or 3 times daily as a preventative.  Since it stays in the system for 6-8 hours, it can be effective.  However, I can only stay on it a limited time (usually 10 days).  Again, as a last resort, and if you are healthy, you may want to ask your doctor about this.

Just an update on some of the more hardcore therapies I have used.  Even with them, I'm still in bad shape...but for those of you who are really suffering, speak to your doctor and see if what they think.

Chronic

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Nerve Block, Verapamil, I.V. DHE, Migranol...
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 1:35pm

Throwing a few recent articles at you:

Headache. 2009 Feb;49(2):286-91.
Intravenous lidocaine in the treatment of refractory headache: a retrospective case series.

Marmura M, Rosen N, Abbas M, Silberstein S.

Jefferson Headache Center-Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA.

BACKGROUND: New treatments are needed to treat chronic daily headache (CDH) and chronic cluster headache (CCH). New treatments are needed to treat this population and intravenous (IV) lidocaine is a novel treatment for CDH. OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to examine the use of IV lidocaine for refractory CDH patients in an inpatient setting. METHODS: This was an open-label, retrospective, uncontrolled study of IV lidocaine for 68 intractable headache patients in an inpatient setting. We reviewed the medical records of patients receiving IV lidocaine between February 6, 2003 and June 29, 2005. RESULTS: Pretreatment headache scores averaged 7.9 on an 11-point scale and posttreatment scores averaged 3.9 representing an average change of 4. Average length of treatment was 8.5 days. Lidocaine infusion was generally well tolerated with a low incidence of adverse events leading to discontinuation of treatment. CONCLUSIONS: This study suggests benefit of lidocaine treatment and the need for further prospective analyses. The mechanism of lidocaine in treating headache is unknown.

PMID: 19222600 [PubMed]
==============
Headache. 2007 Dec 7 [Epub ahead of print]
Clomiphene Citrate for Treatment Refractory Chronic Cluster Headache.

Rozen T.

Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.

A treatment refractory chronic cluster headache patient is presented who became cluster-free on clomiphene citrate. The author has previously reported a SUNCT patient responding to clomiphene citrate. Hypothalamic hormonal modulation therapy with clomiphene citrate may become a new preventive choice for trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. The possible mechanism of action of clomiphene citrate for cluster headache prevention will be discussed.

PMID: 18070056
====================================================================
Headache. 2008 Feb;48(2):286-90. Epub 2007 Dec 7.
Clomiphene citrate for treatment refractory chronic cluster headache.

Rozen T.

Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA.

A treatment refractory chronic cluster headache patient is presented who became cluster-free on clomiphene citrate. The author has previously reported a SUNCT patient responding to clomiphene citrate. Hypothalamic hormonal modulation therapy with clomiphene citrate may become a new preventive choice for trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. The possible mechanism of action of clomiphene citrate for cluster headache prevention will be discussed.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 18070056 [PubMed]
=========
Eur J Neurol. 2007 Jun;14(6):694-6.

The use of gabapentin in chronic cluster headache patients refractory to first-line therapy.

Schuh-Hofer S, Israel H, Neeb L, Reuter U, Arnold G.

Department of Neurology, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany.sigrid.schuh-hofer@gmx.net

Chronic cluster headache (CCH) is a rare but challenging condition. About 20% of CCH patients get refractory to treatment. Gabapentin has recently been reported to be efficacious in the treatment of CCH. To test the potential of gabapentin as second-line drug, we prospectively studied the efficacy of gabapentin as add-on drug in eight patients suffering from CCH refractory to first-line treatment. Six of eight CCH patients responded to treatment. After the end of the study phase, the patients' clinical course was further followed up until January 2006. The longest period of being continuously pain-free under gabapentin treatment was 18 months. In some individuals, increasing doses were needed with time. We conclude that gabapentin may be offered as treatment trial in patients refractory to first-line treatment. However, patients may fail to respond to treatment and drug tolerance may occur with time.

PMID: 17539953 [PubMed
=========
Notice the line: this med stopped a small number of cycles totally....

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Chronic
CH.com Junior

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 3:07pm

Thanks...Aready tried Neurontin (gabapentin) and wasn't much help...but I'll look into the others.

No worries about using an anti-psychotic.  Already tried Lithium many times for CHs.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Bob, once again, thank you for the valuable information.  I've not heard of lidocaine being used via IV.

This is enough already
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!