Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Both sad and glad to be back here after 5 years (Read 1345 times)
Cynde
CH.com Junior

x0|Fairfax|USA||0|0|VA,Virginia
Both sad and glad to be back here after 5 years
Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Five years ago, this site helped me through the worst cluster cycle I'd ever had...got onto Topamax, and although I got dopey and tingly, the beast went away for 5 years!  Of course, I also quit the job that had been making me sick for most of 13 years, so that might have helped.  Now after five years working for myself, came back into the workplace, and within four months the beast is back.  Went through 20 Imitrex before calling doc -- started on Topamax this weekend, hoping to tame the beast again.  And planning to leave the job and go back to work for myself -- the beast never seems to bother me when I'm self-employed, so although I have less money, I have less hassle! 
Just wanted to express how glad I am to see that this site is still here and folks are still supporting each other.  Let's all kill this damned beast together! Smiley

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Re: Both sad and glad to be back here after 5 years
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Well Welcome back.
   I once went for 7 years PF  ... after I moved 650 miles south...so I don't know about the job thing.
   This darn beast is so random, Its anyones guess what brought it back on ...if anything.
   Hope you get it in control soon.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:10pm

A really good way to go completely insane is to try and figure out cause and effect with the beast. He truly marches to his own beat!

You did not mention oxygen. With minor changes in delivery, it's showing an incredibly high rate of success. I'm just finishing...(I hope I hope I hope).....an almost 4 month cycle. I aborted attacks in 6-8 minutes again and again using oxygen. Thus far I only had to resort to imitrex once, oxygen has worked that well. MUCH cheaper and no imitrex hangover.

Read the oxygen info link on the left, everything you never thought to ask about oxygen complete with color pics. Sorry you're back, hope it's a short run.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:57pm

Cynde wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:55pm:
Went through 20 Imitrex before calling doc....)

Hopefully you're following the imitrex tip to increase the doses available to you by at least double?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:59pm

Welcome back.  I'm back after 5 years as well.  I never thought they would come back ...... but alas, they did.  I can't tell you how much o2 has helped this time around with a really high flow rate.   Now that I have a regulator that goes to 25 ..... ooooolalalala, I can get rid of that headache in 7 - 8 minutes on average.  I do stay on for an extra 10 - 15 minutes at a lower flow rate, just to make sure the beast is gone (I got rebounds before I started doing that).  This site has been a Godsend to me.  The people here are so willing to point you in the right direction, all you have to do is read.  Smiley

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

Cynde
CH.com Junior

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:32am

Had a kip 10 last night -- writhing on floor for an hour awaiting hubby who was away at soccer practice -- was in such pain I couldn't get up to get to the damned child-proof and adult-proof imitrex pack...did take two once he arrived, as well as a 25 mg topamax.  Slept like a baby.  Took topamax this a.m., am starting to take 25 mg twice a day.  Doc refused to give me scrip for oxygen before, but now that I see I can get it without a scrip, I will get it -- thanks to all who suggested it and have provided links to sources.  This beast deserves to be annihilated!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:14pm

Imitrex pills are much too slow for aborting CH, you need the injections or inhaler in that order. Sub-q inj are best. Very few have results with the pills.

O2 (oxygen) used with the right equipment works wonders for most of us.

Good Luck, Don
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:15pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 3:10am

Sumatriptan pills can work if your attacks come like clockwork and if you are not a nighttime hitter (both of which is the case for me). Popping one 1 hour before "showtime" can circumvent the attack very effectively for me when I am on the road without access to O2.

IP Logged

Cynde
CH.com Junior

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 8:38am

Awakened again at 2 a.m. by the beast...took imitrex, over within 15 minutes...sublingual doesn't do it any faster for me...but now I'm getting hit twice a day like clockwork, usually about 5:30 pm and 2 am.  Topamax day 5, and I know it will work eventually, but it usually takes about two weeks and I'm getting impatient.  Doc is leery of O2, won't give it to me despite pleas.  Think it's time to go out of network and see neuro in Alexandria who's on OUCH list -- hopefully I can get in soon.  Otherwise might have to jump off a bridge (just kidding).  Thanks to all for input.  Oh, and found Rozen's study amazing.  I fit the description perfectly, right down to eye color, family history, everything except smoking (never have, although both parents did).  Amazing.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:11am

Or go the welder's O2 route.

If your hits are coming like clockwork at 17:30 and 02:00, take one at 16:30 and set your alarm for 01:00....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Cynde
CH.com Junior

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:20am

Damnation, Brew, as soon as I predict this thing, it changes on me!  Last night it passed 7:30, 8:30, thought I'd escape...no, it hit at 9:15, then at 4:00 a.m. instead of 2:00.  Gonna see doc this afternoon and see about oxygen, although  I suspect it's not gonna work, as my HMO is very reluctant to give it...I will print out some of Rozen's papers and show him the evidence, but he won't have time to digest it (just as this site says).  Got an appt. with a center here in VA, but not 'til the end of the month, and if this pattern is like previous ones, the beast will have disappeared by then, but maybe I'll be able to get a scrip for O2 from them so that when the beast does return, I'll have O2 to beat it back the next time, even if it means I buy my own machine...

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 9:40am

Don't be afraid of paying for your own 02, I did it for many years. E-Tanks rented for $4.25 a month, refills were about $12. I averaged 4-6 hits per E-tank so it really wasn't all that costly. Especially when you suggest to those stupid bean counters they compare the cost of oxygen to Imitrex! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!