Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Generic triptans???? (Read 4676 times)
Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Generic triptans????
Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:28am

I found some info at some point here about some of the triptan meds that offerd generics. As I have been experimentinting with frova because of the lnoger half life with some success. The doc gave me a script but even with insurance 9 pills would have cost me 221 dollars. Was wondering if anyone else had some info that might be heplful here. Thanks.

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Generic triptans????
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:55am

Pfunk wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:28am:
I found some info at some point here about some of the triptan meds that offerd generics. As I have been experimentinting with frova because of the lnoger half life with some success. The doc gave me a script but even with insurance 9 pills would have cost me 221 dollars. Was wondering if anyone else had some info that might be heplful here. Thanks.

Pfunk Cool

Sumatriptan succinate (generic Imitrex) is available. I had a script filled for 9 tabs per month, 3 month script, refillable 3 times for a total of 108 tabs per year. It costs me $5.00 per 3-month period because my co-pay for generics is lower.

For comparison, last year I had a one-month script for 9 tabs of Amerge filled through Walgreens, and my co-pay was $100.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 11:04am

In the end, your insurance will largely control costs based on co-payments.

You might look at Canada for prices:

Canadian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This info from CONSUMER REPORTS, 10/05:

Source of info about online pharmacies with a similar review process plus price information:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
============

Don't consider sources S. of the border or in Asia. Too many problems with counterfeit meds.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 3:47pm

Generics cost more for me.  I have a health reimbursment account, so no copays.  They charge the account the cost of the RX.  The brand imitrex gets a large discount and I pay something like $130 for it.  The Generic costs about the same with no discount, so it costs a little more than the brand. WTF.  I stick with the brand.  It works a little better for me too.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

mister200k
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:05pm

Pills don't work for me. Only the injections. The Sumatriptan Succinate, 4 mg injections at onset are the ones I have to take twice daily, during cluster periods, as these injections seem to work for 12 hours at a time.

My insurance provider only allows for 30mg of the drug (or a 3-day supply for me)to be covered and I am left paying for the remainder of the medication.

Each 8mg pack retails for around $200.00 and my headaches are 2-4 daily for a period of 6 weeks before going into remission but when faced with paying for relief or sweating it out, I will chose relief without question. Luckily, I have low interest credit cards that helped me make it through the remainder of my 44 days ( and $8800.00 later,) of having to pay for the injections.

I stock up on the stuff while my headaches are in remission and after a year of stocking up, I have enough of a supply to last throughout my next episode (hopefully.)

I also take amitryptiline daily which I have been taking since my diagnosis (which was nearly 10-years in the making after countless CT's, neurology MD's and probably some severe brain trauma due to banging my head with various objects.) The amytrip has had no side-effects to my knowledge and I have been headache free for a little over a year (which I have gone as much as 2 1/2 years between episodes,) so I have no clue if the prescription is working or not.

Hopefully, the sumatriptan will stay good until my next episode and even more-so, I hope the amitryptiline keeps them from ever coming back. Best of luck to everyone and may you stay cluster free!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:16pm

mister200k wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:05pm:
Pills don't work for me. Only the injections. The Sumatriptan Succinate, 4 mg injections at onset are the ones I have to take twice daily, during cluster periods, as these injections seem to work for 12 hours at a time.

My insurance provider only allows for 30mg of the drug (or a 3-day supply for me)to be covered and I am left paying for the remainder of the medication.

Each 8mg pack retails for around $200.00 and my headaches are 2-4 daily for a period of 6 weeks before going into remission but when faced with paying for relief or sweating it out, I will chose relief without question. Luckily, I have low interest credit cards that helped me make it through the remainder of my 44 days ( and $8800.00 later,) of having to pay for the injections.

I stock up on the stuff while my headaches are in remission and after a year of stocking up, I have enough of a supply to last throughout my next episode (hopefully.)

I also take amitryptiline daily which I have been taking since my diagnosis (which was nearly 10-years in the making after countless CT's, neurology MD's and probably some severe brain trauma due to banging my head with various objects.) The amytrip has had no side-effects to my knowledge and I have been headache free for a little over a year (which I have gone as much as 2 1/2 years between episodes,) so I have no clue if the prescription is working or not.

Hopefully, the sumatriptan will stay good until my next episode and even more-so, I hope the amitryptiline keeps them from ever coming back. Best of luck to everyone and may you stay cluster free!

Oxygen is a LOT cheaper.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

mister200k
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 11:40pm

I was not made aware about O2 treatments until very recently and have not had a cycle in a little over a year.

I will definitely try the O2 if and when my next cycle begins (keeping my fingers crossed.)

About 3 years ago, during my previous cycle, I broke down and made a visit to the ER and was given oxygen which had minimal effect. But at that time, I was 3 weeks in and at the peak of my cycle (which included an "attack" every 3 to 4 hours that last over 90-120 minutes per,) and I figure i might have been in so deep that nothing short of a nail gun through my eye would have any meaningful effect.

I am thankful for finding out about this site and will definitely make use of any and all treatments if they are ever needed.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 7:34am

Many who report limited or no success with O2 usually find out that they were doing it wrong. You don't happen to remember what flow rate, what kind of mask, etc., do you?

O2 can be just as fast as imitrex, and it has no side effects.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 8:32am

Brew wrote on Apr 14th, 2010 at 7:34am:
Many who report limited or no success with O2 usually find out that they were doing it wrong. You don't happen to remember what flow rate, what kind of mask, etc., do you?

This is my worry Brew.  I fully support O2, but have yet to use it.  I have the tank/mask/reg all set up ready to go in the basement when the beast sporadically returns.  I'm equipped with an arsenal at home with O2, trex, melatonin etc...  My thing is that I may use the O2 wrong the first couple of times, however I will not quit till I know i'm using it correctly.  I see too many on here who give up as soon as it doesn't work.  You need to possibly research it more
or ask the pros on here what you are doing wrong.  That's how i'm going to go at it if it doesn't work right away.  I have faith that it will with the research I have done.  My only worry is that my reg only goes to 15LPM thinking that maybe to too low....

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 9:47am

I use genric Imitrex nasal spray.  I wondered if it would be as effective until I got it and the packaging was identical to the brand name packaging, just had a different name.  Then I noticed it was manufactured by GSK, so I think it's the same stuff and all they did was change the graphics on the box.  Works just the same and only cost $15 instead of $40.  Also, my insurance will allow greater quantities of the generic.  I used to get 6/month and am now allowed 12.  Got my neuro to write a script for 18 to see what would happen.  had to get approval from the insurance company but now get 18 doses/month for $15.  Still not enough in cycle but a lot better than what it used to be.

@mister200k - I used Amitriptylene for many years with a lot of success.  It can slow your matabolism and cause some significant weight gain so watch out for that.  Took about 9 months before that really kicked in.

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:36pm

Brew wrote on Apr 14th, 2010 at 7:34am:

I gave up on it years ago because it didn't work... I was doing it wrong.  I got a proper mask, regulator and technique and it went from 0% success rate to about 90% with none of the side effects of imitrex.  I still use both, but oxygen is my first choice.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:39pm

jlcalbre wrote on Apr 14th, 2010 at 9:47am:
I use genric Imitrex nasal spray.  I wondered if it would be as effective until I got it and the packaging was identical to the brand name packaging, just had a different name.  Then I noticed it was manufactured by GSK, so I think it's the same stuff and all they did was change the graphics on the box.  Works just the same and only cost $15 instead of $40.  Also, my insurance will allow greater quantities of the generic.  I used to get 6/month and am now allowed 12.  Got my neuro to write a script for 18 to see what would happen.  had to get approval from the insurance company but now get 18 doses/month for $15.  Still not enough in cycle but a lot better than what it used to be.

@mister200k - I used Amitriptylene for many years with a lot of success.  It can slow your matabolism and cause some significant weight gain so watch out for that.  Took about 9 months before that really kicked in.

I wish the generic was the same as the brand for me.  I think it's called Dr. Reddy's for the pill.  I don't know what the injection is.  I have both.  The injection isn't as good, but not such a drastic difference either.  The pill on the otherhand is way better in brand form.  The generic takes longer to work, makes me feel funny (warm, uneasy, uncomfortable all over) and it simply doesnt knock out the headache as fast or as completely.  I am usualy a propoent of generic drugs, but this is a case where it just isn't up to par.  I have no idea how the nasal spray stacks up though.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!