Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil (Read 1807 times)
OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

x0|Marysville|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Verapamil
Apr 12th, 2010 at 6:47am

My doc put me on Verapamil (180 mg) and my blood pressure seems to be bottoming out.  I felt weak and kind of spacey all day.  When I took my blood pressure, I actually got an E on the machine cause it was too low to read.  When shaking my arms while trying to take it, I ended up getting a reading of 121/63.

Anyone else have this problem ?  Would a lower dose do me any good ?

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Re: Verapamil
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:40am

Some years ago I was on Verapamil (Isoptin here) too.
My BP (morning, after 2 strong coffee) was 90/55 (my normal is 110-120/60) so I gave up.
IMHO lower dose isn't effective in CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW itotka  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:54am

Your experience is rather uncommon but clearly calls for you to call your doc today.

I suspect you will have to change preventives.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:31am

You may want to ask your doc about Lithium. It's been a very effective prevent for me for many years. Don't sweat the hollywood stereotypes of lithium users walking around in circles drooling! I take 1200 mg a day while on cycle and if I didn't tell you I was taking it you would never know.

Some people get mild tremors when taking it, I haven't noticed that. The slight lethargy it induces is easily beaten with a cup of coffee, it's that slight.

Does require a little blood work at first while you establish your therapeudic level. One of it's advantages is even without insurance it's a very cheap medication.

Good luck with whatever route you go.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:28pm

Are you taking any other things...?
   I did ok with the 180 mg,,,but then when I took to taking the energy drinks, and or Taurine,   My BP fell real fast.
    I for one did real good on the lower dose (180mg) and Figure that everyone is different.  Some need twice that.         
   Keep a daily diary...that helps a bunch.   good luck

IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:09pm

I'm not taking anything else.  The doc did prescribe Frova as well as some anti-anxiety meds .... but I haven't really needed those since starting the high o2 and verapamil.  I'm on no other meds.  I also have Imitrex, which I also haven't used for a few days.  I'm trying to abort with just the o2 (which works tremendously well), and keep the number of headaches down with the verapamil. 

Since starting the Verapamil, I have discontinued using Relpax (?) for trying to prevent the headaches.  I was taking that twice a day because I was getting hit so hard.  The Relpax seemed to work, but once I started the Verap, I wanted to get off the other med.  I never take anything, not even asprin ... so taking a lot of meds is not what I am comfortable with. 

My doc wants me to go to half dosage on the Verapamil.  While I know that many people here think that the Verap won't work at low dosages, I'm gonna give it a try.  Before I started, my BP was 120/70 which was great (in a perfect world) ... so lowering my BP at all might do the trick.  I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks for the replys.  As always, I am astonished at how caring the people here can be.   Smiley

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
topnoodle  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 1:46am

I take a very low dose of Verapamil and it has helped me.  I have never taken more than 80mg per day.  I also take another small dose BP med, too.  Everyone's body is different.  It does make me feel lethargic and weak, especially at first.  I love when I can cut down on it.  I feel so much better.

Always try different doses for yourself.  Just because the recommended dose is higher doesn't mean the lower dose won't work for some people.  It's worth a try.  If it doesn't work, then move on to something else.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 7:49am

OneEyeBlind wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:09pm:
I'm trying to abort with just the o2 (which works tremendously well), and keep the number of headaches down with the verapamil. 

I'll let you know how I make out.

I hope it works for you.   Smiley     Gradual adding and tapering is good caution with initial use, its side-effects may arise more apparent at first without an adjustment period allowed for possible compatibility if attempting a level to effectiveness.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 2:12pm

If you continue to have probs with Verap you might also look into Kudzu as an alternative.  I've had very good results with it without lowering BP.  Some have excellent results with Lithium as Joe said, but I had probs.  (I tend to with a lot of scripts Sad)  Kudzu has been a real help to me though, and it is relatively inexpensive if bought online.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

OneEyeBlind
CH.com Hall of Famer

Yea, I can do this

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 4:29pm

Had a pretty good day today.  Still a little lethargic but much better than 2 days ago.  I actually went over to help my sister pack today .... so the fact that I actually got out and did something is good !  Smiley  Think I'm gonna try and get out and plant some of the flowers I bought last week .... spring has sprung here ... but someone stole my springer last week and I had no energy to plant.   Cheesy

topnoodle  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:30pm

That's a pretty low dose for such a side effect, but everyone handles these things differently.  Are you on the immediate release or sustained release tablets?  I'd try the alternative to whichever you're on first at the same dose.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

ccbiggsoo7
CH.com Veteran

x0|st. louis|||||
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2010 at 2:36am

i took 180 of the verapamil, didn't help until i added the lithium with it. Works great (most of the time)!

chris

IP Logged

quadpants
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2010 at 2:07pm

I have the same problem, I only take 240 mg but when I wake up my arms are numb and I can't function without some caffeine. Last time I had my blood pressure checked early in the morning it was 90/60 and it is normally 120/80. Since the treatment is working I am reluctant to change though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!