Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OXYCONTIN (Read 12039 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: OXYCONTIN
Reply #25 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 12:53pm

LasVagas' data sure tastes like he has the correct understanding of what is going on.

Whether you like his analysis or mine--the response is the same:  "Bottom line: might as well stop your efforts to convince him."

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #26 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 6:37pm

Addicts survive by arguing, denying, and manipulating for their drug of choice.  Sadly, they come to believe what they say.  No one can stop that and it is nonconstructive to have a discussion with someone while they are using.   It is up to them and unfortunately, it is usually not until they hit rock bottom...maybe even several times if the first times weren't at the bottom.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Megan102
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Rogers, Arkansas
Reply #27 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 11:21am

I'm posting here not because my husband got hooked on anything, but because of what he did twice while getting hit hard.  This was before he had O2.

He had a few pain meds that were prescribed and some over-the-counter that he had been taking somewhat successfully as his cycle ramped up.

Anyway, he was hurting so bad that he would dose on one of them, then take more thinking that would help, then take something different thinking that would help, then take more of that because it had helped in the past and so on.

Bottom line, he was lucky and now knows that IS NOT how to handle a hit, but was so desperate at that point that he just did it.  Even though he realizes what happened (and what could have happened)and says he won't do it again, the meds are nowhere to be found.

I know the veterans already know this, but this is for people that might be reading that are just starting on this journey.  I learned a tremendous amount while reading this site, but never ran across this type of situation, although I'm sure it has happened many times.

Wishing everyone a pf day...

IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 8:46pm

Opiate therapy? Can it work? What is it? side effects?

I am a chronic Cluster sufferer, I started out getting clusters 2-3 weeks a year for a few years. Then they never went away. My CHs have always lasted 3 hours. Unmedicated I would get an average of 4 daily occaisonaly getting 5 or 6 attacks. I have posted mostly on the old message board, my history is more detailed there. I had some success with the usual meds, good with O2 for a while. To keep this short here goes.

Opiate therapy (I use methadone) with a Dr. that really knows how to do it, for me, was and still is the most successful method. Soon I could work again. The side effects were and are almost non-existent. All the negative stuff on pain meds I have read on this board is often true. However none of it is about opiate therapy it is about taking opiates for pain relief, which is not opiate therapy.
   "Opiate therapy" is far different from taking opiates for pain relief. It would take several pages to explain even the basic premise. 
   We gripe about how closed minded non CH sufferers are, how they don't have a clue of what we go through. We state that CHs are complex and that what works for one may not work for another.  MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #29 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:35pm

MikeS wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 8:46pm:

I am a chronic Cluster sufferer, I started out getting clusters 2-3 weeks a year for a few years. Then they never went away. My CHs have always lasted 3 hours. Unmedicated I would get an average of 4 daily occaisonaly getting 5 or 6 attacks. I have posted mostly on the old message board, my history is more detailed there. I had some success with the usual meds, good with O2 for a while. To keep this short here goes.

Opiate therapy (I use methadone) with a Dr. that really knows how to do it, for me, was and still is the most successful method. Soon I could work again. The side effects were and are almost non-existent. All the negative stuff on pain meds I have read on this board is often true. However none of it is about opiate therapy it is about taking opiates for pain relief, which is not opiate therapy.
   "Opiate therapy" is far different from taking opiates for pain relief. It would take several pages to explain even the basic premise. 
   We gripe about how closed minded non CH sufferers are, how they don't have a clue of what we go through. We state that CHs are complex and that what works for one may not work for another.  MikeS

I got time.

Potter

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #30 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 6:40am

I'm with Potter on this one.  I have plenty of time to read Mike.  Let it rip.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #31 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:59pm

YOU didn't get the call one cold morning, around 5am.....I thought I was gonna have a good chat with my friend, Svenn, good-naturedly chastise him for calling so early, till he said things that made my blood freeze in my veins....a million miles away, in Norway, he told me, he had to end his life, he could no longer live in denial, his wife deserved more than this, and he was prepared-and had plenty of meds to succeed.
MANY people helped that day, jumped in and even found a neighbor to visit him....I know he was serious. I know it took a LOT to convince him to get help. When I saw him on Skype, I was in shock! If his attempt at suicide didn't succeed, it wouldn't be long before the Oxy did it!
YES, Chad, you have a right to do whatever you need to maintain life while dealing with CH......but what do YOU really want?
Denial is NOT a way of dealing....that's hiding from the problem at hand, and, believe me, OXY IS a problem.

Funny, when Drs prescribed OXY for my Mother's pain caused by medical problems, I knew her time on earth was short. For many years now, OXY has ONLY been prescribed for the terminally ill. Are YOU terminal???? REALLY?
That's of course, just my opinion. Please stay well, and stand up to this insidious disease. There are MANY here who fight daily. They are strong, smart and still have a life to enjoy. Please seek other methods..because you can!

Cathi Huh

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #32 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 4:42pm

Quote:

'Love to read THAT one.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #33 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 5:03pm

MikeS wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 8:46pm:

MikeS

Remember that some people on this forum know a lot about science, medication, and addiction.  It might even be their field, though a professional would never tell you on this type of communication.  It would be courageous of you to find out some facts about what you are stating from a qualified professional, though I am guessing you won't...at least for now.  In time, you may have to.  I am wishing you insight and good luck! 

You know the old saying..."You can't see the forest for the trees!" 

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #34 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 5:04pm

Opiate therapy with Methadone is a totally different animal than use of Oxy or other such pain meds.  For one thing Methadone is used as a replacement for opiates during drug interventions.  It can be used to wean a person off of heroin for instance, and doesn't tend to have the spiraling dependency tied with it, at least not to the same extent. 

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #35 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 5:31pm

MikeS...The majority of us are fairly opened minded.  We would love to read the several pages you mentioned.   Please send us a link or something. You seemed so adament about how this is a good thing, I'm certain you would love to put it up here. 

Jerry...I don't mean to disagree with you because I would hate for you and I to be at odds, but the Methadone treatment is as bad..if not worse than the Heroin addiction.  Only difference is that it is not illegal and the person knows exactly what he is getting as opposed to street Heroin.

Getting off of Methadone is HARD and is exactly the same,  physically as Heroin.  It is as expensive and one is tied to the umbilical cord of never being able to take a week-end vacation, etc.   I know this because my son...well you know... Cry

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 6:38pm

Potter: Me too - I have yet to see a really good case unless it was like Cathi's "end of life" example. An awful lot of folks have tried to convince that they didn't have a problem..........

Cathi: Yep. Svenn's morphine story is soooooo valuable as a lesson. (I continue to applaud him for sharing it in detail)

Luinda: I have agree about Methadone withdrawal pain. Haven't been there myself, but the case I'm directly familiar with looked about as bad as smack to me.

Guess I'm done parroting what you fine people have already artfully said.........

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #37 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Thank you for agreeing with me Marc.  I HAVE seen it all first-hand and narcotics withdrawal of any kind is heart-breaking.  I know for a fact that Svenns story was very hard for him to not only go through...but to actually write it down in the hopes that someone else would be saved from what he went through because his CH's were intractable.   

This damnable subject comes up on this site at least every 6 weeks and almost always from someone who insists that it is the ONLY way to go. 

I don't believe in "only"

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 7:26pm

And we shouldn't have a problem discussing it here on this board even more often if it stops even ONE person from tumbling down that rabbit hole.

I respect your perseverance on this - and other issues.

Marc
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 7:27pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #39 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:21pm

Opiate therapy is done by a professional, The Dr uses it only if other methods have been tried and exhausted. You are tested and tested during the process. I have to be tested monthly for 3 years for reflex changes and cognitive skills. I have gone off methadone 3 times for several months. If you follow the treatment just as prescribed (for me anyways) there was no problem stopping the meds. If it it used properly withdrawal is not a a big issue for many. I didn't go looking for this. I refused to try for a couple years, however not being able to work, drive and enjoy much of anything ,not to mention the large number of nasty side effects I had with other meds, motivated me to try something new.It helped me and my wife and children more consistently then previous treatments. Just wanted to let others know that perhaps for someone else it may work MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #40 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:50pm

Linda,

I bow to your experience, and I'm sorry.  I have not had first hand experience with dealing with anyone using methadone to get off of heroin, just third hand, so I was giving it to much credit. 

Opiate therapy on the other hand used on a VERY limited basis and with follow-up monitoring as Mike has described slightly can have good results.  It is not something to be entered into lightly.  In fact I would put ONSI or DBS ahead of it on my list if it came to that.  What Mike is talking about is a far cry from Chad's original argument.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #41 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 10:39pm

take it from me OC's are the worst thing for you. you are a heroin addict at this point, real recognize real.....ive been there and done that and made all the excusses. you need to find something other than opiates...youre gonna get addicted if you arent already. PLEASE find another way to deal with them...i was on the shit for 20 years and almost died..i was on 320 a day..80mg 3x a day...with fentnly. i use decadron and predislone for a month and it has broken my last cycle in a month.

life is great clean. thanks NA and rehab. clean date August 4, 2010
chris_kels 420chris420 cohen.chris@ymail.com  
IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #42 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 10:54pm

Just an FYI on the opiate(methadone) therapy. One of the more important attributes of the method my Dr. uses is as follows: After blood and urine tests to verify what if any meds I use. I agree to any random test they ask for. I go in every week for 3 months, every 2 weeks for 6 months. I start on a very low dose of methadone daily (4x). Reflexes are checked and cognitive tests are given. Very slowly they titrate the methadone to a higher level. You get no relief from this at first. I used O2 which worked for the first and 60% for the next after that no relief was felt (I was getting at least 4 attacks each day each lasting 3 hours) after 6 months the number of attacks each day started going down. By 1 year I was down to maybe 10-12 attacks a week, occasionally skipping days. I know opiates are supposed to prevent attacks, however that is what happened and what the Dr. hoped for. He explained to me that he has seen with a small % of chronic CH patients there seemed to be a slight variance from the "typical" (if there is such a thing) Ch patient. He explained (however in more technical terms) that sometimes the neuroreceptors would cross paths or misroute causing the CH attacks. He said since I didnt respond at all to imitrex that I might fall into this type. I get migraines for for which imitrex can work wonders for. Not so for CH. He said since opiates and methadone work on some of the receptors that CH may also have a link with, some patients respond to this by the meds "affecting these receptors in such a way as to prevent attacks".
   Yes there is a temptation to take more of the meds for perhaps more relief, however following the program strictly is the only way it stays consistent. After a year you get 30 days of meds and return in 4 weeks. You have to bring in any meds not used. Well they know that you should have 2 days left over but they don't tell you that. If you don't bring any meds back you very likely will be dropped as a patient. One of my problems has always been that when I get busy I forget a dose. If you forget ands its more than 1 hour after you just wait until the next dose. I have always returned with more then a few days of meds left over, so I was considered a trusted patient. The way you go so slowly up on the initial dose is that that I have never felt and pleasure from the meds or for that matter much of anything other then a reduced number of attacks. If I ever start to feel tired from the meds than I need less and have reduced the meds several times and have never needed to go to the higher dose again. Again for me and my family it has been a blessing. It was hard to be patient with the process at first. However the end results have been good. Any way that is the difference in the way you take the meds that makes opiate therapy different then just taking it to reduce pain. I understand that this goes against the idea that opiates can't prevent pain. Of course that is still true , but for me it has and does prevent attacks. To verify that the meds are the actual reason, I have been asked to go off methadone 3 times. It takes about 3 weeks of reducing dose slowing and what would be considered withdrawals was just a restless day or 2. My CH took about 2 1/2 months to return to full on attacks. Then after that about 3 months to get reasonable control again.  Thanks for reading MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!