Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EROTs for Cluster: don't overlook... (Read 1106 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
EROTs for Cluster: don't overlook...
Apr 5th, 2010 at 4:00pm

Headache. 2010 Mar 26.
Revisiting the Role of Ergots in the Treatment of Migraine and Headache.
Baron EP, Tepper SJ.

From the Headache Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA.

(Headache 2010;**:**-**) The harmful side effects of the ergots described by early civilizations have been overcome with efficacious treatment for headaches including migraine, CLUSTER, and chronic daily headache. Use of ergots contributed to initial theories of migraine pathogenesis and provided the substrate for development of the triptans. Triptans are very efficacious for many migraineurs, and since their widespread use, use of ergots has significantly declined. Unfortunately, there remain many migraineurs who benefit little from triptans, yet respond very well to ergots. Discoveries in migraine pathophysiology have given us better understanding of the complex processes involved, although there remain many unknown factors in migraine treatment. Additional, unrecognized therapeutic targets may exist throughout the neuronal connections of the brainstem, cortex, and cerebral vasculature. Ergots interact with a broader spectrum of receptors than triptans. This lack of receptor specificity explains potential ergot side effects, but may also account for efficacy. THE ROLE OF ERGOTS IN HEADACHE SHOULD BE REVISITED, ESPECIALLY IN VIEW OF NEWER ERGOT FORMULATIONS WITH IMPROVED TOLERABILITY AND SIDE EFFECT PROFILES, SUCH AS ORALLY INHALED DIHYDROERGOTAMINE. Redefining where in the headache treatment spectrum ergots belong and deciding when they may be the optimal choice of treatment is necessary.

PMID: 20353432 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Re: EROTs for Cluster: don't overlook...
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 5:37pm

I did hear that the DHE (thought they were nasal) inhalers Might be coming out as soon as fall 010 - good deal, as my 5-day intravenous DHE worked fairly well as long as it was "on tap."   Tongue  If It were to be used as an on-the-go abortive (as currently the intramuscular shots are available), this would be another great option! 

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:26am

I have been using DHE IM injections since late in my last cycle of 2008. It's available in inhaler form called Migranal. The inhaler worked much to slow for me.

For me the DHE shot will  stop a K-9 in around 5 min. I then get 24hrs PF so sleeping is an option. I don't take it every day as max dose per week is 6. Also my insurance doesn't limit this med like the triptans, they don't work well for me anyway.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 10:29am

The nasal spray form of DHE-45 (Migranal) has been available for over 10 years. Problem with it is that it has to be stored in a glass vial, which must be broken open just before use, classifying it as a pain in the a$$.

Also, whenever I used it I got extremely stuffed up.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!